PDA

View Full Version : NRA Challenges Constitutionality Of Federal Handgun Ban For 18-20 Year Olds

Gunreference1
09-09-2010, 04:17 AM
NRA CHALLENGES CONSTITUTIONALITY OF FEDERAL HANDGUN BAN FOR LAW ABIDING 18-20 YEAR OLDS

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Fairfax, Va. -- The NRA is challenging federal laws that prohibit law-abiding Americans eighteen through twenty years of age from legally purchasing a handgun through a federally licensed firearm dealer. The case was filed Tuesday evening in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas Lubbock Division. James D'Cruz of Lubbock, TX is the plaintiff in this case.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=14212

Steve

l921428x
09-09-2010, 04:25 AM
I dont't know if this will work, under the obamacare bill you are a child until 26?
But, other than that, it is about time.

Penguin
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Wow I am shocked the NRA going on the offensive for once. I stoped renewing my NRA memebership a long time ago because they never chalanged anything. All they did was beg for more money and chalange things that were comming up. I don't belive this is a war that can be won always fighting on the defensive. If we want our gun rights back some one is going to have to chalange many of the long established laws in this country that just suck. This is a good place to start.

Krupski
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
NRA CHALLENGES CONSTITUTIONALITY OF FEDERAL HANDGUN BAN FOR LAW ABIDING 18-20 YEAR OLDS

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Fairfax, Va. -- The NRA is challenging federal laws that prohibit law-abiding Americans eighteen through twenty years of age from legally purchasing a handgun through a federally licensed firearm dealer. The case was filed Tuesday evening in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas Lubbock Division. James D'Cruz of Lubbock, TX is the plaintiff in this case.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=14212

Steve

An 18 year old can join the military and risk his life for his Country, but he can't drink alcohol or buy a handgun? That's bullshit.

Richard Simmons
09-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow I am shocked the NRA going on the offensive for once. I stoped renewing my NRA memebership a long time ago because they never chalanged anything. All they did was beg for more money and chalange things that were comming up. I don't belive this is a war that can be won always fighting on the defensive. If we want our gun rights back some one is going to have to chalange many of the long established laws in this country that just suck. This is a good place to start.

Sometime it's best to hold your ground while things are working in the background then make your move. I know there were things in the works at the NRA that were on hold while Heller was being decided. You need to pick your fights. If you throw yourself at everything that comes along you eventually deplete your resources and then you win nothing.

Penguin
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
That is certianly true. The problems was I didn't see the NRA fighting a single offensive fight. As I recall the NRA even discourage the heller case from comming up.

AKTexas
09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I have always wondered why I could die for my country but I was not allowed to drink or buy handguns.

imanaknut
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I can't wait for the NRA to tell our government that since the Islamic Center is allowed to be built in the shadows of the fallen World Trade Center based on the constitution, then we the people should also be allowed our rights based on the same document and allow us to own weapons needed to defend us from religious persecution.

I want a P-90! Not a neutered down, ATF approved unreasonable facsimile.

Yes, again as in the past, old enough to fight and die for this country, but not old enough to buy the weapons to do so.

Richard Simmons
09-09-2010, 08:51 PM
As I recall the NRA even discourage the heller case from comming up.

That's more or less correct. Do you also "recall" why?

From what I've read the NRA was afraid the case might not receive a favorable ruling by the SCOTUS and given the 5/4 ruling they may have had every right to feel it was too close to take a chance.

AKTexas
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I can't wait for the NRA to tell our government that since the Islamic Center is allowed to be built in the shadows of the fallen World Trade Center based on the constitution, then we the people should also be allowed our rights based on the same document and allow us to own weapons needed to defend us from religious persecution.

I want a P-90! Not a neutered down, ATF approved unreasonable facsimile.

Yes, again as in the past, old enough to fight and die for this country, but not old enough to buy the weapons to do so.

I want all NFA items without the BS hassles.I want a new machine gun for the price they sell for after 1986.

Gunreference1
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
TTU Professor: Student has strong case against federal handgun ban

Posted: Sep 09, 2010 10:27 PM MDT

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A Texas Tech professor says a Lubbock teen who filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the age to buy handguns may have a chance to win. James D'Cruz is the plaintiff in the case that was filed in a Lubbock federal court.

The right to bear arms is a target of many conversations out on the shooting range. The lawsuit claims that eighteen year olds are considered adults for almost all purposes and ‘certainly for the purposes of the exercise of fundamental constitutional rights.' The National Rifle Association is challenging the federal law that prevents people under 21 from purchasing handguns, something the association believes infringes on personal constitutional rights.

http://www.kcbd.com/global/Story.asp?s=13130052

Steve

Gunreference1
11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 17, 2010
11:17 AM

Peter Hamm,
Communications Director
Doug Pennington,
Assistant Director: 202-898-0792.

Brady Center Urges Court to Throw Out NRA Lawsuit to Allow Teenagers to Carry Concealed Firearms

WASHINGTON - November 17 - The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence today filed a brief in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas urging the court to throw out an NRA lawsuit claiming that teens and young persons ages 18-20 have a constitutional right to carry loaded, concealed weapons in public.

“It is dangerous and reckless for the NRA to claim that teenagers should be allowed to carry loaded semiautomatic weapons on our streets and playgrounds. The Second Amendment allows for commonsense gun laws, it doesn’t require that we legally allow armed teens in our communities,” said Brady Center President Paul Helmke.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/11/17-5

Steve

Gunreference1
11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Charles Nichols
LA Anti-Establishment Examiner

Brady Campaign stalks teenager, and then brags about it

November 23rd, 2010 2:32 pm PT

I recently had a discussion with a younger member of the Open Carry movement. He is of the opinion that we should try to use logic and reason with the Brady Bunch. He attributes their actions to "...a poor understanding of the right to openly bear arms and individual liberty in general..."

When I was much, much younger I too thought that truth would prevail whilst debating them back in the days when they were known as Handgun Control Incorporated. I got to know my enemy quite well. These are the same people who dropped a lot of acid back in the sixties and snorted a lot of cocaine in the seventies and eighties. Their brains are fried. They are incapable of logical thought.

http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/brady-campaign-stalks-teenager-and-then-brags-about-it

Steve

Gunreference1
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
NRA opens new front in gun rights battle

Lubbock lawsuits challenge limits on handguns for 18-to-20 year-olds

By Mike Ward AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 6:14 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 25, 2010

Post a Comment E-mail Print ShareLarger Type Small Type
In two recently filed court cases that could expand gun rights if they are successful, two Lubbock men are challenging federal and state laws that limit 18-to-20-year-olds from buying handguns and carrying them as concealed weapons.

Attorneys and supporters on both sides of gun rights issues said the federal court cases pose a significant test of Texas' concealed-handgun law and a separate, 32-year-old federal law barring handgun sales to those under age 21.

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/nra-opens-new-front-in-gun-rights-battle-1073668.html

Steve

Gunreference1
12-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Anti-gun violence group urges court to dismiss NRA lawsuit

Reported by: Nicole Garza
Email: ngarza@fox34.com
Last Update: 12/27 8:09 pm

An anti-gun violence group filed a brief in a United States District Court Monday. The group is urging that a controversial lawsuit by the NRA be dismissed.

The NRA claims 18 to 20-year-olds have a constitutional right to buy handguns anywhere they choose.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/local/story/anti-gun-handguns-DCruz-NRA-ATF-court/7Nz3vr128ku47IITatEDaA.cspx

Steve

Gunreference1
09-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Lubbock judge dismisses one NRA case

By Mike Ward (mward@statesman.com) | Thursday, September 29, 2011, 05:12 PM

One of two court cases that could have expanded gun rights if successful and had drawn national attention in the debate over the constitutional right to bear arms was dismissed today by a federal judge in Lubbock.

In a 17-page order, U.S. District Judge Samuel Cummings dismissed a challenge to a 32-year-old federal law barring handgun sales by licensed gun dealers to people under the age of 21.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2011/09/29/lubbock_judge_dismisses_one_nr.html?cxntfid=blogs_ postcards

Steve

imanaknut
09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
It will be thrown out because it will hurt small businesses. Since an 18 year old can purchase a handgun from an individual and not a licensed dealer, it seems obvious that today's government is trying to continue it's assault on small business.

Gunreference1
10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Monday, October 3rd, 2011 at 1:25 PM

NRA Plans Appeal in Federal Age Limit Case

FAIRFAX, Va. --(Ammoland.com)- Recently a federal judge in the Northern District of Texas ruled that the federal ban on dealer sales of handguns to adults from the ages of 18 to 20 does not violate the Second Amendment.

The National Rifle Association plans to file a prompt appeal of the court’s ruling to the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/10/03/nra-plans-appeal-in-federal-age-limit-case/

Steve

Gunreference1
10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Friday, October 21st, 2011 at 8:54 AM

NRA Files Appeal of Ruling on Handgun Sales Age Limits

FAIRFAX, Va. --(Ammoland.com)- On Sept. 29, a federal judge in the Northern District of Texas decided in favor of the federal government in a case brought by the NRA challenging the federal restriction on the purchase of handguns by 18-20 year old adults.

The case is far from over, as the NRA has already filed an appeal.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/10/21/nra-files-appeal-of-ruling-on-handgun-sales-age-limits/

Steve

Gunreference1
11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Tuesday, November 8th, 2011 at 4:52 PM

NSSF to File Amicus Brief in Texas Firearms Age Case

NEWTOWN, Conn --(Ammoland.com)- In response to a ruling by a federal judge (http://www.ammoland.com/2011/10/21/nra-files-appeal-of-ruling-on-handgun-sales-age-limits/) in the Northern District of Texas in favor of the federal government in a case brought by the NRA challenging the federal restriction on the purchase of handguns by 18-20 year old adults, NSSF plans to file a friend-of-the-court brief in support of NRA’s appeal of the ruling.

In the case, Jennings v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the NRA and a group of responsible young adults argued that because 18-20 year olds are considered adults for virtually every other purpose, such as voting and military service, adults in this age group should also be able to purchase handguns from licensed retailers.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/11/08/nssf-to-file-amicus-brief-in-texas-firearms-age-case/

Steve

FunkyPertwee
11-08-2011, 10:11 PM
It should be all rights at 18 or all rights at 21.

If you can vote you need to have all your rights.

Gunreference1
01-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Judge dismisses NRA lawsuit challenging license age limit

Last year, U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings threw out a similar lawsuit challenging a federal law.

Posted: January 19, 2012 - 4:37pm | Updated: January 20, 2012 - 12:23am
By LOGAN G. CARVER

AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A federal judge Thursday dismissed a lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association challenging the constitutionality of a state law setting age restrictions for concealed handgun licences for non-military personnel under 21 years of age.

Last year, U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings threw out a similar lawsuit challenging a federal law.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2012-01-19/judge-dismisses-nra-lawsuit-challenging-license-age-limit#.TxkGQ1GiG5I

Steve

Gunreference1
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Oral Arguments Heard Today in NRA's Fifth Circuit Appeal for the Second Amendment Rights of Young Adults

Posted on July 10, 2012

Fairfax, Va. – Oral arguments occurred today in the United Circuit Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in the case of Jennings v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, in which the National Rifle Association is appealing a decision by a federal court in Texas which held that the Second Amendment doesn’t protect the right of young adults to buy firearms from federally licensed dealers.

“The NRA has been engaged in this ongoing fight -- not just in Congress and in state legislatures, but also in the courts -- for the right of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. All Americans deserve for their Second Amendment rights to be fully respected. If the law says you're old enough to fight for your country, it should allow 18-20 year old adults to purchase and own a handgun for any lawful purpose," Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news-from-nra-ila/2012/07/oral-arguments-heard-today-in-nras-fifth-circuit-appeal-for-the-second-amendment-rights-of-young-adults.aspx

Steve

Gunreference1
10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Court upholds ban on handgun sales to people under 21

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:06 p.m. EDT

By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - The United States may ban federally licensed firearms dealers from selling handguns to people under age 21, an appeals court ruled on Thursday, in a defeat for the National Rifle Association.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Houston rejected the NRA's argument that 18- to 20-year-olds had a right to buy the guns under the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as well as the equal protection clause of the Fifth Amendment.

http://wkzo.com/news/articles/2012/oct/25/court-upholds-ban-on-handgun-sales-to-people-under-21/

Steve

imanaknut
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I am so glad I live in Indiana, a state where at age 18 I took my daughter to the local law people, got her lifetime license to carry a handgun, and gave her a nice pistol to carry.

Don't know how other states work, but in Indiana, not only can someone pay a tax to exercise their second amendment rights at age 18 (license to carry a handgun - note, open or concealed not stipulated) but at age 18, they can be given a handgun as a gift, or buy one from a non-dealer (face to face type sale) and it is perfectly legal.

And the really neat thing here in Indiana (at least in my jurisdiction), the people behind the glass were ecstatic seeing an 18-year-old female applying for a handgun license!

Bluntforce
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
If you can sign a contract and be legally bound by it and if you are of age to be tried as an adult for misdemeanors, then you should have all your rights.

An adult needs to be a full adult.