PDA

View Full Version : Is this really rare?

s15v8
02-15-2013, 09:23 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329245633

No one's bidded on it yet, but figured I'd ask aknut and russ? The new guy the name isnt sticking to me. Sorry new guy.

El Laton Caliente
02-15-2013, 10:38 AM
At first glance it is a fairly standard Chinese underfolder... the markings though are not any I recognize...

Last fall, I would have said too pricey for used, but now....

imanaknut
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
It is an early import and would agree with the seller about it being a 1987 import. Markings are correct for a Chinese rifle, and the Golden State markings are among the better that I have seen as most were very lightly marked.

Some of the early ones were marked AK47S because that name is what the Chinese thought would sell here but they didn't catch on as back then they were still "those commie rifles".

Asking price isn't bad these days as Chinese AK variants are going up due to their fixed numbers and more people getting into the hobby.

Russbirch
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
It's legit. It's rare. It is of value more to someone who perhaps wants the matcher to the full stock version, or to a person who wants the underfolder from every importer. (both of which are my goals.) I had considered buying it and holding it until I can find a pristine example, perhaps even an unfired one. From what I know, they did not come ever as a double. If you Google "Erik GSAD" you may find a cool article about the founder and a short interview with him describing what he brought in, how much he brought in, the serial number ranges, etc.

Russbirch
02-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I am having so much trouble posting pictures from my iPad. I will post pictures of my GSAD full stocks when I figure it out.

Here is the link to that article I mentioned previously:

http://www.migunowners.org/forumarchive/index.php/t-62518.html

I Googled the guys name and found he is now a realestate investor/broker in Kalifornia.

s15v8
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
rather than open a new thread, How rare are chinese 75 rd drums with the 36 mark?
Polytech 75rd drums too

El Laton Caliente
02-18-2013, 10:09 AM
On drums I don't know any real percentages, but I've handled maybe a 100 plus Chinese drums and seen about two marked Poly and I own one... The 36 marked drums are maybe a little more common. The .223 and the 100 round drums are rare also...

imanaknut
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
.223 Poly Tech drums were going for around $400 +/- even during the no-worry time, so with the current panic, who knows what they could sell for. Very rare.

Standard Chinese 75 round drums came into the country in huge numbers, but I don't know any record of numbers imported by the markings on the drum. Unfortunately the panic price will be higher than reason until people stop paying panic dollars. Some people might pay a few dollars more for one marked "Poly Tech" but I would bet they were made side by side with the Norincos.

100 round drums are pretty hard to find, and although originally didn't sell because some people thought them too heavy (don't say that to my daughter even if she has the 100 rounder under a Legend!) today spending near $200 wouldn't be too crazy.

The story about the 100 rounder under a Legend, we were at a local range back when my daughter was about 15. She was and still is a great figure skater, pure muscle in a female who looked much younger than she was. When she inserted the 100 rounder in the rifle, some big guy at a table near us remarked "isn't that a bit heavy?" Her reply was priceless: "If you think this is heavy, you must be a wimp!" She then proceeded to empty the drum in a steady one shot per second or so. The place went nuts with applause when she finally ran out after what seemed like a forever string of shots.

s15v8
02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=329569476
In the second picture, why did they take off the markings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

imanaknut
02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Part of the George Bush the First stupidity was that the name (as well as features) caused people to become criminals. When he initially demanded ATF abide by the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA they weren't 100% sure what he wanted, so they impounded all the rifles in port, and ground off the original importer's name as well as the model. On some of them they just cut heavy lines through the model and importer name. When they finally let the rifles out, they had to go through a new importer as many went out of business, hence the restamping of an importer name. Some of the importers didn't have the means to make a factury looking stamping so you will see some NHM90s and MAK-90s with model names that looked like they were hand stamped or vibro-etched on. GLNIC must have done a quickie hand stamp on the front of the receiver, followed by the really good one on the rear.

As for the underfolder, when they came in, one of two things happened. On one batch ATF or the importer to satisfy ATF just folded the metal stock forward and tack welded it in place to make it unusable, and then installed the Bush-hole stock over it. On others they removed the folding stock, and riveted a plate on either side to cover the holes, the installed the Bush-hole stock. On both versions they welded a rear tang to the folder rear trunion to attach the wood stock.

As for the underfolding bayo, that was done by a subsequent owner.

TwistedKarma
02-18-2013, 08:23 PM
It's legit. It's rare. It is of value more to someone who perhaps wants the matcher to the full stock version, or to a person who wants the underfolder from every importer. (both of which are my goals.) I had considered buying it and holding it until I can find a pristine example, perhaps even an unfired one. From what I know, they did not come ever as a double. If you Google "Erik GSAD" you may find a cool article about the founder and a short interview with him describing what he brought in, how much he brought in, the serial number ranges, etc.

So, what underfolders are you looking for......................

Russbirch
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Poly .223 spiker NIB
GSAD 7.62 NIB
Poly 7.62 spiker NIB

I have the Poly 7.62 now, used... Wanting to upgrade to NIB for each.

s15v8
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330192843

This guy has relist this gun quite a few times with the buy out price getting lower and lower
Seems you're right on the story about this one aknut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD