PDA

View Full Version : Type 56S-2

TB215
02-16-2013, 11:18 AM
C'mon! Give me some advice!

A coworker is moving to New York and doesn't want to take his Norinco 56S-2 with him. He wants $1,800 for it. It does come with 3 red bakelite 66 mags and 500 rounds of Norinco ammo.

I know these guns are rarer then rare and don't come up often.

Should I bite?

Schuetzenman
02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
It is a collectors class weapon. Value your friend puts on it is high end of the scale IMHO. I'm an old cheap bastard and remember when that was a $250 buck weapon so in MY world it isn't worth it. Your opinion and others well vary from mine. With the current nuttiness for prices of things I bet the mags are probably worth $150 each. Cheap steel cased Wolf .223 is going for 50 cents a round (so very over priced) so that's another $250 at the least in value. Together the mags and ammo are worth nearly $600 so that puts the rifle down to about $1200, doesn't seem quite as aweful if you look at it that way.

Wild Bill
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
It sucks to have to move to New York under the current conditions. I hope things come back to reason there.

I would bite. He will probably come down a little, especially for a hassel free private sale. The red baklite mags are worth quite a bit. The norinco ammo may be steel core, in which case, it is worth a lot more than cheap Russian Wolf or Tulammo. Even for full price, it is a fair deal. If you can get a lower price, it seems like a great deal to me.

imanaknut
02-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree with Schuetzenman's assessment. Given the value of the mags as well as the collector value of the ammo, the price doesn't seem as bad.

One thing I look at with the 56S-2 is to make sure that is how they are marked. There were several counterfeit ones made using a 56S donor with the rear trunion removed and the sidefolder installed in it's place.

The 56S-2 did come in two flavors, one in the all orange/red plastic and the other with just the plastic on the folder, but standard Norinco handguards and pistol grip. The all plastic is more desirable but as long as it is marked 56S-2 I would not pass up a wood one.

Again, yes it is a rare collectible, and has some high priced stuff with it, so as long as you are ok spending the money, do it. Just for the heck, offer him $1500 and see what happens. You never know. ;)

TB215
02-16-2013, 02:01 PM
After careful research one on gunbrokepeople just sold earlier in the week for $1,800. No sling and just one red bakelite mag and no ammo. it is confirmed that the 500 rounds is Norinco 7.62z39 steel core ammo.

If Imakanut and Schuetzenman says go for then i think I will.

Just called him and gave it the "I'll take it!" Don't wanna haggle with a friend.

Gotta go to the accountant and get my taxes dones.

Will pick it up Monday and hopefully get some pics up!

imanaknut
02-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Looking forward to the pictures. Sounds like you are getting something that not many people can say they have! Not to mention something that not many have even seen!

TB215
02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Looking forward to the pictures. Sounds like you are getting something that not many people can say they have! Not to mention something that not many have even seen!

This is for you, Nut!

Now I have them both!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/PhillyFlathead/Sidefolders_zps84fa1b9e.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2290&d=1361409302

imanaknut
02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Very nice Norinco and Poly Tech twins!!!