PDA

View Full Version : Ban on Lead Tackle? Hold on Just a Minute

Gunreference1
09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Ban on Lead Tackle? Hold on Just a Minute

Published: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 6:48 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 6:48 p.m.

How would you adapt if fishing tackle containing lead was suddenly banned? No lead bullet weights, sinkers, jigs or lures containing any lead.

Issues concerning lead pop up occasionally, and there's probably nothing to worry about immediately.

But the Center for Biological Diversity joined four other groups in a petition to the Environmental Protection Agency on Aug. 3 asking for a ban on all lead in fishing tackle and ammunition.

The petition sought to protect birds, especially predators and scavengers like "bald eagles, trumpeter swans and California condors'' via the Toxic Substances Control Act.

The Center said in a release that an estimated 10 to 20 million birds and animals die from lead poisoning in the U.S. every year.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100908/COLUMNISTS/9085019?Title=Ban-on-Lead-Tackle-Hold-on-Just-a-Minute

Steve

insider
09-09-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I'll have to use a stainless steel bolt, or nut for a weight.

Mark Ducati
09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
How about the lead used for bouyancy weights in Scuba? We had a set of drapes/curtains one time that had lead weights in the lower hem to help them hang straight... Lead weights for the Boy Scouts Pinewood Derby?

So not only do I need to stock up on ammo and light bulbs... now I have to add lead to the list :(

old Grump
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Not a problem, I just fill up an empty incandescent light bulb that we aren't supposed to use anymore with mercury. When I get a good hit the bulb breaks and I reel in my fish before it gets mercury poisoning. Always gotta have a plan.

Broondog
09-09-2010, 12:00 PM
The Center said in a release that an estimated 10 to 20 million birds and animals die from lead poisoning in the U.S. every year.

Steve

isn't this called hunting? :gruebel:

:biggrina:

sevlex
09-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Didn't the EPA already back down on this stupidity?

Gunreference1
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
The EPA only backed down from lead in ammunition. Take a look at the link in post #27 of the thread below.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?966-Epa-going-after-lead-ammo&p=27665&viewfull=1#post27665

Steve

El Jefe
09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
This is just more Big Brother/Nanny State bull shit. This is what happens when you create several layers of un-needed government that employs far too many people.

JVD
09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Are they going to replace my fishing tackle for free? If not they can go shove that ban up their ass.

But also no, not even that. Whoever is petitioning for this can go suck a fat one. :countdown:

slamfire51
09-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll use an ordinary steel nut. Let it rust. Use it and rusty hooks and give fish tetanus.
That'll show those environmentalist.

deth502
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
didnt this already happen in places?

i know i was invited to salmon fish in ny last year, and told id have to buy special "lead free" split shots or face being fined.

never did make the trip.

slamfire51
09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
didnt this already happen in places?

i know i was invited to salmon fish in ny last year, and told id have to buy special "lead free" split shots or face being fined.

never did make the trip.

A shame Mother Nature can't be fined.
She is the largest contributor to lead pollution.

aliceinchains
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll use an ordinary steel nut. Let it rust. Use it and rusty hooks and give fish tetanus.

I think those environmentalist need a good dose of tetanus.

HDR
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
This is just more Big Brother/Nanny State bull shit. This is what happens when you create several layers of un-needed government that employs far too many people.

And elect agenda driven idiots.

El Jefe
09-09-2010, 07:44 PM
And elect agenda driven idiots.

That too.

raxar
09-09-2010, 07:50 PM
dynamite's still OK though, right?

El Jefe
09-09-2010, 07:56 PM

As long as you don't get caught. :wink:

HDR
09-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Shaped charges, plastic etc are much better..

Infidelski
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Where da hell do these people think lead comes from anyway..? the fish that eats your weights and not your bait is a total duma$$ and shark bait or river bottom no matter what, if by chance he swallows the hook he's dinner whats the big deal? They want into every aspect of our free lives!

raxar
09-10-2010, 02:03 PM

those things take no skill, using dynamite's just like buck hunting with a flintlock.

slamfire51
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

You don't need shaped charges...unless you're blowing a dam or trying to sink a wildlife officers steel canoe. :)

elkydriver
09-10-2010, 02:56 PM
You don't need shaped charges...unless you're blowing a dam or trying to sink a wildlife officers steel canoe. :)

you sound like a man of experience.....

slamfire51
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
you sound like a man of experience.....

Now that you mention it.....Hopefully the Statutes of Limitations applies.
I have used dynamite on one occasion. I was blasting rock to put in a septic line at a house in the boonies many, many yrs. ago. Back then, all you needed to have to acquire explosives was ID and fill out a form similar to a 4473. Man, times have changed since then.

There was an old iron bridge spanning a large creek on the property I was working on.
I had seen schools of suckers swimming up and down the creek for several days.
So....at lunch one day, I stuck a cap in a 1/4 stick and put it over the middle of the bridge into the creek (maybe 2' deep). Got my firing wire (50')
and moved back a ways. Set the charge off and KABOOM!!!! The force of the blast raised the 4"x24" oak planks up off the bridge about 2'.

I went back to see what I accomplished besides almost destroying the bridge. In the creek there were 20+ large suckers floating down stream.
Just before my lunch hour was up, I heard a bunch of people yelling down stream. I looked and saw 4 black kids running up the bank with 3 stringers of fish. LOL

I feel I helped some hungry families eat good that night.

Gunreference1
09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Last Updated: September 18. 2010 5:27PM

Anglers fight federal move to sink lead lures

Nathan Hurst / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- Anglers and those who supply them are hoping to reel in federal efforts to ban lead tackle.

Environmental advocates say the change would save waterfowl that occasionally eat sinkers and other gear, causing death by lead poisoning.

But many who are part of the state's $7 billion fishing industry say if the Environmental Protection Agency implemented the regulation, the cost of metallic equipment would soar, sinking hopes of a rebound for a sector hit hard by the rough economy and fearful of the potential threat of invasive Asian carp in the state's rivers and streams.

"It'll cripple the industry," said John Maniaci, a professional fisherman who has worked for fishing businesses in Metro Detroit. A common lead sinker he uses almost daily during the fishing season costs 5 cents. Alternative sinkers, like the tungsten sinkers used in Europe and Canada -- where lead laws are stricter than in the United States -- run $4 a piece.

Click the link below to read the rest of the story.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100918/METRO/9180383/1136/SPORTS07/Anglers-fight-federal-move-to-sink-lead-lures

Steve

davepool
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Now that you mention it.....Hopefully the Statutes of Limitations applies.
I have used dynamite on one occasion. I was blasting rock to put in a septic line at a house in the boonies many, many yrs. ago. Back then, all you needed to have to acquire explosives was ID and fill out a form similar to a 4473. Man, times have changed since then.

There was an old iron bridge spanning a large creek on the property I was working on.
I had seen schools of suckers swimming up and down the creek for several days.
So....at lunch one day, I stuck a cap in a 1/4 stick and put it over the middle of the bridge into the creek (maybe 2' deep). Got my firing wire (50')
and moved back a ways. Set the charge off and KABOOM!!!! The force of the blast raised the 4"x24" oak planks up off the bridge about 2'.

I went back to see what I accomplished besides almost destroying the bridge. In the creek there were 20+ large suckers floating down stream.
Just before my lunch hour was up, I heard a bunch of people yelling down stream. I looked and saw 4 black kids running up the bank with 3 stringers of fish. LOL

I feel I helped some hungry families eat good that night.

There were two guys a few years back that did that to catch a record bass at a lake north of here. They had hooked this big 15lb bass in cove a week before and it broke their line and got away, so they went back with the Dupont spinner bait and set it off in the cove,sure enough that fat boy floated to the surface and they took it in to claim the state record, problems began when it was examined and they found that it's swim bladder had been ruptured from the concussion of the blast,i don't remember their punishment but i'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to fish in arizona any more

slamfire51
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
There were two guys a few years back that did that to catch a record bass at a lake north of here. They had hooked this big 15lb bass in cove a week before and it broke their line and got away, so they went back with the Dupont spinner bait and set it off in the cove,sure enough that fat boy floated to the surface and they took it in to claim the state record, problems began when it was examined and they found that it's swim bladder had been ruptured from the concussion of the blast,i don't remember their punishment but i'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to fish in arizona any more

I was using Hercules bottom bait. :)

Gunreference1
09-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Monday, September 27th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus Fights Proposed Ban of Lead Fishing Tackle

Washington, DC --(Ammoland.com)- Seventy-eight members of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) signed a letter delivered last Thursday to Lisa Jackson, Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), urging the agency to dismiss the petition to ban the use of lead in fishing products.

The CSC members state in the letter, “There are 60 million recreational anglers in America that contribute $125 billion to our economy annually, and penalizing these men, women and children that are the best stewards of our environment, as well as the financial backbone to fish and wildlife conservation in our country, would be a terrible and unnecessary injustice.”

http://www.ammoland.com/category/ammunition/

Steve

swampdragon
09-29-2010, 11:01 AM

:lool:

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
:lool:

I'm serious as Hell.
Lock jaw for all.

AKTexas
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Can we get a ban on dumbasses like the one that proposed this bill?

slamfire51
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Can we get a ban on dumbasses like the one that proposed this bill?

Most BS environmental bans stem from one source.

Tennessee Rat Bastard AL GORE

Get rid of him, and things like this will calm down.

Gunreference1
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

EPA Denies Petition Seeking Ban on Lead Based Fishing Products

No scientific basis has been established to warrant any such ban on traditional fishing equipment…

Washington, DC –-(Ammoland.com)- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture and use of lead based fishing gear.

The Center for Biological Diversity, the American Bird Conservancy, the Association of Avian Veteranarians, Project Gutpile and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility filed the petition on August 3 to ban the production and sale of lead based ammunition and fishing tackle under the Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) of 1976.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/04/epa-denies-ban-on-lead-fishing-products/

Steve

swampdragon
11-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

EPA Denies Petition Seeking Ban on Lead Based Fishing Products

No scientific basis has been established to warrant any such ban on traditional fishing equipment…

Washington, DC –-(Ammoland.com)- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today denied a petition calling for a ban on the manufacture and use of lead based fishing gear.

The Center for Biological Diversity, the American Bird Conservancy, the Association of Avian Veteranarians, Project Gutpile and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility filed the petition on August 3 to ban the production and sale of lead based ammunition and fishing tackle under the Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) of 1976.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/04/epa-denies-ban-on-lead-fishing-products/

Steve

Thank goodness!
Geeze.

I was NOT looking forward to going fishing in the future using Slamfire's rusty nuts.