PDA

View Full Version : Best place for 7.62x54r?

El Duce
02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I see aim has 440 round tins for 79. plus shipping. Better "deals?"

Richard Simmons
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001092&dir=18|830|853

It's $90 a can if you buy two or more here but shipping might be less if they are closer

TEN-32
02-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I see aim has 440 round tins for 79. plus shipping. Better "deals?"

Thats not bad...

nitewatcherXX
02-19-2013, 05:23 PM
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r plus shipping & I think it was a flat rate like 25 bucks I got a case last month

Have any of you guys shot the 203 gr brown bear. If so., whats it like?

TEN-32
02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r plus shipping & I think it was a flat rate like 25 bucks I got a case last month

I think that Bulgy silver tip is the stuff to get...its been a while.

nitewatcherXX
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM

They have some russian steel core too great price on the Bulgy that's what I got. Haven't opened the cans yet.

Richard Simmons
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM

The Czech silver-tip was usually considered pretty good ammo. As I recall, it was pretty accurate in my M39 and other Mosins. I'm not sure it the Bulgarian silver-tip is similar to that or not?

TEN-32
02-19-2013, 06:29 PM
The Czech silver-tip was usually considered pretty good ammo. As I recall, it was pretty accurate in my M39 and other Mosins. I'm not sure it the Bulgarian silver-tip is similar to that or not?

Not sure RS...I have a couple crates unopened and I don't remember what they are. What I have open is Russian copperwash. The way I look at it, its cheap and makes a big bang. ;)

El Duce
02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Snooze you loose. I was going to order from AIM tomorrow. Now sold out. Crap.

nitewatcherXX
02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Snooze you loose. I was going to order from AIM tomorrow. Now sold out. Crap.

you know ammoman has cases still 249 delivered... just sayin

J&G still has some $82.50 per 440 if you buy a case

Schuetzenman
02-19-2013, 08:25 PM

It is noncorrosive primed and slow compared to milsurp. I assume you're talking about the soft point round they make. It makes a pretty good deer round with the soft tip. Grouped reasonably well on paper but the point of impact will be way off from 147 gr. FMJ surplus. I found it would make cleaning the bore easier to put 2 or 3 rounds of it down the pipe after shooting the corrosive stuff. It helps blow out a lot of the corrosive salts from the milsurp primers.

nitewatcherXX
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
It is noncorrosive primed and slow compared to milsurp. I assume you're talking about the soft point round they make. It makes a pretty good deer round with the soft tip. Grouped reasonably well on paper but the point of impact will be way off from 147 gr. FMJ surplus. I found it would make cleaning the bore easier to put 2 or 3 rounds of it down the pipe after shooting the corrosive stuff. It helps blow out a lot of the corrosive salts from the milsurp primers.

Thanks Im going to see if I can get an elk this year with my Tiger. Wanted to start getting ready early

El Duce
02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001092&dir=18|830|853

It's $90 a can if you buy two or more here but shipping might be less if they are closer

I placed an order for 880 thank you Richard.

El Duce
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Aim has it back in stock. Go figure.

Richard Simmons
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I placed an order for 880 thank you Richard.

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes with Wideners. Haven't dealt with them since they had all that Korean 30.06 ammo years ago but at that time they were easy to deal with and my orders were shipped quickly. I've been eyeing those Beretta 8045F's they have.

El Duce
02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Will do. I had to sign up with them, including sending a copy of my DL. (Which I had not) I got email delivery confirmation. 14-24 days. Shipping was 23.00. I am not hurting for ammo, but just wanted to have a little more.

El Duce
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes with Wideners. Haven't dealt with them since they had all that Korean 30.06 ammo years ago but at that time they were easy to deal with and my orders were shipped quickly. I've been eyeing those Beretta 8045F's they have.

I got email delivery confirmation. Should be here tomorow. Might have to open up a can and test it out.

TEN-32
02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
This thread inspired me to take out one of the M44s yesterday. I call this photo ATF & Burgers. NO we did NOT drink before shooting. ...:anim_beer-1:
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/4410/20130224124340.jpg

El Duce
02-25-2013, 07:05 PM
I see that you were "Styling."

Out of all of the rifles in my collection. My Nagants get the most neglect. Though, I love the idea of having several rifles that I can pull off the shelf. Open up a can and shoot pretty well with. Plus the ammo stores well, same with the rifles! Nice pic. Ever tell you that I went to Maine South H.S.? (only for a semester.) Lived in Park Ridge untill 1982

TEN-32
02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't think I knew that El Duce. Park Ridge is a nice burb. I lived in Skokie for a time in the mid 80s. Worked in Niles.

El Duce
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Was supposed to be deivered today. About an hour ago, I got an email from UPS that Wideners had cancelled my delivery. Of course I couldn't get ahold of them by phone. Finally got through, then after ten minutes of waiting on hold. They hung up on me. This is their email response.

That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days.

Now the ammo arrived close to me at the hub at 4:30 this morning. Bummer.

El Duce
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Just ordered a case from ammoman. They have plenty in stock. They have a 10 case deal. But it only saves you 20 bucks. Not much incentive to buy that much in bulk.

Richard Simmons
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Sucks about the order from Wideners. I wondered when it shipped so quickly after they said it would be a couple of weeks at the time or order.

El Duce
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Sucks about the order from Wideners. I wondered when it shipped so quickly after they said it would be a couple of weeks at the time or order.

Well, someone does not know what they are doing as UPS just dropped off the case at the front door. As per their email

"That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days."

I wonder if I should contact them...Just checked delivery confimation again, and UPS tells me that the order was cancelled....?

Was just in the gun room. Things are getting a little tight in there. Wonder. Will the stuff in the crate store well in a crawl space?

Richard Simmons
02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Well, someone does not know what they are doing as UPS just dropped off the case at the front door. As per their email

"That label was created by mistake and your order should ship out within the next few days."

I wonder if I should contact them...Just checked delivery confimation again, and UPS tells me that the order was cancelled....?

Was just in the gun room. Things are getting a little tight in there. Wonder. Will the stuff in the crate store well in a crawl space?

Might call them. They could have gotten some wires crossed. You don't want another case showing up.

ATAK, Inc.
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
The best x54r is Bulgy, Hungarian, Romanian and Russian; as long as it is made in the '70's or earlier. Later stuff has looser tolerances. I've shot it all; Russian, Bulgy, Hungarian, Chinese, Czech, Albanian, Romanian, Egyptian.

El Duce
02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Might call them. They could have gotten some wires crossed. You don't want another case showing up.

Out of the many times that I did call. Only once did they answer. Then I was on hold for about 10 minutes before they hung up on me. If another case shows up. Well, then, more for me. I can cover the extra expense.

nitewatcherXX
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Just ordered a case from ammoman. They have plenty in stock. They have a 10 case deal. But it only saves you 20 bucks. Not much incentive to buy that much in bulk.

Ive always had good luck with AMMOMAN Shipping is sometimes a bit slow. I chalk that up to east coast/ west coast thing. I did manage to find 80 rds of brown bear 185 gr at the pawn shop today. 40 bucks not the best price, but I want to try something other tan surplus in my Tiger.

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2013, 05:38 PM
I've been getting a can of Bulgarian from Aim every payday. After shipping it comes to $101, and it seems to be staying in stock. If you see it out of stock, just check back the next day and it'll be there.

Now I just need to find some more 9x18.

nitewatcherXX
02-26-2013, 05:53 PM
I've been getting a can of Bulgarian from Aim every payday. After shipping it comes to $101, and it seems to be staying in stock. If you see it out of stock, just check back the next day and it'll be there.

Now I just need to find some more 9x18.

The pawn shop I was in today had probably 20 boxs of 9x18 FMJ Id never seen this kind before was in a black box with white writing

Schuetzenman
02-27-2013, 07:01 AM
The best x54r is Bulgy, Hungarian, Romanian and Russian; as long as it is made in the '70's or earlier. Later stuff has looser tolerances. I've shot it all; Russian, Bulgy, Hungarian, Chinese, Czech, Albanian, Romanian, Egyptian.

I too have shot it all at one time or another. My rating is 1990's Russian 147 gr. milsurp was the best and tied by Yugoslav 180 gr. brass cased. Close to those was Hungarian silver tip light ball with a gray colored lacquered case. Bulgarian was so so, not real bad but not the best. Romanian was about the same as the Bulgarian. Czech silver tip is in the same catagory as the last two if it was made after 1960. Czech 54r made before 1960 sucks, lots of dead and hang fires. Albanian was not bad for accuracy if you could get it to chamber, there were 2 types; brass cased and lacquered casdsed. The stell lacquered Albanian was much better as it would chamber without problems. The brass cased was sold as Non Corrosive, it seemed to live up to that but a lot of Mosin rifles couldn't chamber it. The rounds had very thick rims and a lot of the problem with it was getting the extractor to ride over and engage the rim of the case.

Shot Chicom copper wased steel case a.k.a. Norinco and it was also pretty good but not overly fast, about 2650 fps more or less. Most lt. ball was between 2750 and 2850 fps.

El Duce
03-04-2013, 03:00 PM
BBT just dropped off the second case. I feel a little better now! Now if only the weather would warm up a bit so that I can go shoot!

Richard Simmons
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
BBT just dropped off the second case. I feel a little better now! Now if only the weather would warm up a bit so that I can go shoot!

Is that the case from Ammoman or a second from Weideners?

El Duce
03-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Is that the case from Ammoman or a second from Weideners?

From ammoman. Looking forward to Saturday!

Richard Simmons
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
From ammoman. Looking forward to Saturday!

Good deal. Me too!