PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt

TEN-32
02-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10 yr. today and just poured my first. I am first and foremost a bourbon drinker, but I do appreciate a good single malt. This one is one of the best I have ever had bar none. Bottled at 80*, and the peat smoke and sea brine are amazing. Now to pick a smoke...
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/337/20130223163846.jpg

Dr. Gonzo GED
02-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Good choice, especialy if you're a fan of that Isla peat!

El Jefe
04-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I know two guys who drink that on a regular basis.

But for me, I can't deal with the smoke taste.

Enjoy, Bleed. :)

TEN-32
04-18-2013, 04:38 PM

OH I did sir. That is an old post and that bottle is long gone. I do love the Islay whiskys.

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
OH I did sir. That is an old post and that bottle is long gone. I do love the Islay whiskys.
There's an "independant botler" called Finlaggan (sic?) that puts out random bottlings of some Islay distilleries off batches (not necesarilly bad, but barrels that don;t conform to the specific distilleries blending needs).

The distillery it comes from is kept secret but most believe it's off batches of Lagavulin.

Anyways, if you're looking for an Islay adventure, I highly reccomend the stuff. Each run is different, some are fantastic, some are odd, all are unique and the price is pretty sweet too. (got a bottle for $14 a few years back).

And if you're feeling the bug, the real Lagavulin has that sea air flavor in spades! (I don't recal it being as heavily peated as Laphroiag but it's still Islay so the smoke is in there!)

TEN-32
04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I'll keep a lookout for it. Thanks for the tip!

El Jefe
04-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Cool, I'm nursing a bottle of Basil Hayden's right now. I took it pretty easy over the winter, figured I'd let my liver at least scab over. ;)

Got a box of good old Gispert churchills in the mail this morning. Been hitting them and the Cusano 18's here of late.