PDA

View Full Version : Reparations for Slavery

LAGC
02-26-2013, 05:07 AM
The true scale of Britain's involvement in the slave trade has been laid bare in documents revealing how the country's wealthiest families received the modern equivalent of billions of pounds in compensation after slavery was abolished.

The previously unseen records show exactly who received what in payouts from the Government when slave ownership was abolished by Britain – much to the potential embarrassment of their descendants. Dr Nick Draper from University College London, who has studied the compensation papers, says as many as one-fifth of wealthy Victorian Britons derived all or part of their fortunes from the slave economy.

As a result, there are now wealthy families all around the UK still indirectly enjoying the proceeds of slavery where it has been passed on to them. Dr Draper said: "There was a feeding frenzy around the compensation." A John Austin, for instance, owned 415 slaves, and got compensation of £20,511, a sum worth nearly £17m today. And there were many who received far more.
Among those revealed to have benefited from slavery are ancestors of the Prime Minister, David Cameron, former minister Douglas Hogg, authors Graham Greene and George Orwell, poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and the new chairman of the Arts Council, Peter Bazalgette. Other prominent names which feature in the records include scions of one of the nation's oldest banking families, the Barings, and the second Earl of Harewood, Henry Lascelles, an ancestor of the Queen's cousin. Some families used the money to invest in the railways and other aspects of the industrial revolution; others bought or maintained their country houses, and some used the money for philanthropy. George Orwell's great-grandfather, Charles Blair, received £4,442, equal to £3m today, for the 218 slaves he owned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-colonial-shame-slaveowners-given-huge-payouts-after-abolition-8508358.html

Interesting how Britain dealt with the end of slavery in their colonies... generous reparations to the slave-owners, not a dime to the former slaves themselves.

Of course, here in the U.S., the former slave-owners got jack and shit for compensation for their "property" except their lands burnt to all hell by rampaging Union generals. ;)

rci2950
02-26-2013, 05:22 AM
funny, now everyone is a slave. Including yourself.

LAGC
02-26-2013, 05:26 AM
funny, now everyone is a slave. Including yourself.

Wage-slaves perhaps. But even those making minimum wage sure beats toiling in the fields all day long for nothing but room and board in compensation.

Funny that Britain got rid of slavery before we did.

Makes you wonder: if the U.S. government had offered to pay reparations to the slave-owners, if the entire Civil War could have been averted?

TEN-32
02-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Gun owners are the new slave owners. Will we be paid reparations when our guns are outlawed? Or will we go to war?

As far as slavery reparations, untold trillions in treasury dollars have been given and continue to be given. It will never satisfy some.

rktman
02-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Makes you wonder: if the U.S. government had offered to pay reparations to the slave-owners, if the entire Civil War could have been averted?

Your Understanding of the Civil War=FAIL

Now that is a funny Math Problem!

Krupski
02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Wage-slaves perhaps. But even those making minimum wage sure beats toiling in the fields all day long for nothing but room and board in compensation.

Funny that Britain got rid of slavery before we did.

Why should a slave "owner" be paid reparations? The fundamental act of "owning" a slave is wrong and therefore has no "value" to be compensated for.

What amazes me is that our Country, founded on the FIRM belief that all men are FREE, and with a Constitution to keep it that way, could turn around and take a certain group of people and force them to be non-free.

As far as the "Civil War" (War of Northern Aggression), the federal government would have found something to go to war over regardless. They did it before and they're doing it now.

This time though, it will be "federal government" vs "free Americans".

The government needs to be taught WHY they exist, WHO they work for and WHAT their boundaries are.

These things should already be known to them (it's spelled out in that troublesome little document called the "Constitution"), but I fear they will need some remedial education in that field.

Krupski
02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Gun owners are the new slave owners. Will we be paid reparations when our guns are outlawed? Or will we go to war?

As far as slavery reparations, untold trillions in treasury dollars have been given and continue to be given. It will never satisfy some.

I've never "owned" any "slave", but show me anyone who was a slave and I'll gladly give them my share of reparations. NO person should have ever been enslaved.

But, descendants of slaves... they are owed NOTHING.

My dad could have argued that Germany owed him "reparations" because of WW-II and that Germany caused him to lose time out of his life, sustain an injury and place undue worry on his parents.

But, me, as his son, who suffered nothing due to Germany's actions, would be owed NOTHING and I would never ask for anything (or accept it if it were offered).

TEN-32
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
I've never "owned" any "slave", but show me anyone who was a slave and I'll gladly give them my share of reparations. NO person should have ever been enslaved.

But, descendants of slaves... they are owed NOTHING.

My dad could have argued that Germany owed him "reparations" because of WW-II and that Germany caused him to lose time out of his life, sustain an injury and place undue worry on his parents.

But, me, as his son, who suffered nothing due to Germany's actions, would be owed NOTHING and I would never ask for anything (or accept it if it were offered).

War reparations were made.

l921428x
02-26-2013, 12:28 PM

how? in what term or since.

Dr. Gonzo GED
02-26-2013, 12:29 PM

Yeah sure. Now you get to toil all day and choose between room and board with your minimum wage pittance.

TEN-32
02-26-2013, 12:46 PM
how? in what term or since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_reparations_for_World_War_II

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah sure. Now you get to toil all day and choose between room and board with your minimum wage pittance.

Is someone really arguing with LAGC against the justness of free market capitalism?

ATAK, Inc.
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Slave descedants have been paid reperations for decades... It's called welfare!

rci2950
02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
not to cross the line, but the slave issue is just being abused now. A little background. the underground railroad smuggled slaves from the United States into Canada, Dumping them off in Halifax, NS and Toronto, On. Not surprisingly, both cities compete annually for the highest crime rate in Canada. Further onto my point... There was a community that formed over a landfill in Halifax, now nicknamed Africville. In 1962 all of the residents were moved from the tar paper shacks and squalor into their own community in another part of town. Each family was given a brand new house for free, comparable to any family dwelling of the time.

in the 1950's my grandfather use to buy things and bring them to Africville out of pure kindness, which apparently was a common thing back then. Cloths and shoes for kids and he would even bring my families old appliances like radios and things when new was bought and the old became surplus.

The whites having saved them from slavery and then given them free houses in a new community is now considered racist. They have been paid reperation for this act a number of times and it continues to come up about every 5 years or so. Including camp outs and protestors that occupy the old Africville site.

Most of the protesters have never seen the real Africville with their own eyes. Nor were alive when it existed, yet it is still a relevant issue for some reason.

I am not racist in any way. I just despise political correctness and pandering to special interest groups for no other reason then to draw attention.

Today taking a drive through the community they were moved to will actually strike fear into your soul. It is just a crime haven with burned out cars and garbage.

in 2004 the Transit bus rout that ran through that community was actually cancelled because of robbery and violence inflicted on the bus drivers. Stories of residents waiting at a bus stop and when the bus actually stopped to pick them up, they would throw rocks at the driver.

There was another incident around that time where the police were called for some sort of issue that was made up and a female officer was sent, when she arrived to the scene she was overpowered by a group of blacks, relieved of her sidearm, handcuffed through the doorframe of her squad car, pants pulled down around her ankles and humiliated. Simply for the pleasure of our oppressed freed slaves.

Blacks in this province get paid to attend high school and do not have to pay for post secondary education, yet still don't get an education, aside from the ones who have brains, which dont account for a lot it seems, sorry to say..

I took a number of computer and programming courses in the early 2000s and had to work nights as a mall cop to pay for it. I barely made ends meet. Come to class every day and watch the blacks with their gold necklaces and new cloths, not giving a shit about passing grades. Just there to occupy space and create a distraction to people who wanted to be there.

In the mid 90's there were a couple high profile riots in one highschool in particular. Guess which one.

Completely bizzare

Lastly, I am adding this because it completely slipped my mind until now. Last year there was a church built on the old Africville site completely out of donations from the public and charity from the city, to be used as a meeting place and information centre on African Canadian culture. The church at one point was asking for donations in order to purchase a church bell. A couple weeks went by and all of a sudden one morning there was a Church bell installed. After a short investigation into the original location of the bell, it was discovered it was stolen from another church a few hours drive from town. It was quietly given back and there were never any charges laid.

http://www.transmopolis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Africville_Homes.jpg

Gunner1558
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
I just despise political correctness and pandering to special interest groups for no other reason then to draw attention.

To get their votes?

Krupski
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM

My dad never got anything (not that he asked for anything).....

All he got was a bunch of medals (including a purple one) and a nice scar on his head. All courtesy of the US Army Air Corps.

Krupski
02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Slave descedants have been paid reperations for decades... It's called welfare!.....and "Affirmative Action"....

FunkyPertwee
02-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I was once told by a coworker that all white people owed black people reparations.

I pointed out to him that we were from the same island, the same age, had the same job, made the same money, and experienced the same amount of racial bigotry living in an area racially divided almost exactly half-way (about 60/40). AND that my ancestors who lived here over the last 3+ centuries were NOT slave owners.