PDA

View Full Version : High School Students Gets Suspension for Disarming a Fellow Student

skorpion
03-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Three teens got suspended from school after they disarmed a fellow student who pulled out a loaded revolver. Unbelievable. :mad:
I guess the liberals want to teach kids that heroism and bravery or bad qualities! They want to raise weak little sheep.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/02/high-school-student-disarms-gunman-gets-suspended/

A Florida high school student wrestled a loaded gun away from another teen on the bus ride home this week and was slapped with a suspension in return.

The 16-year-old Cypress Lake High student in Fort Myers, Fla. told WFTX-TV there was “no doubt” he saved a life after grappling for the loaded .22 caliber revolver being aimed point-blank at another student on Tuesday.

Altarboy
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Man, life in school has changed since I was a kid. Anyway, these "heroic" young people need to learn that it's the job of the government, not of the citizen to disarm a bad guy.

Kadmos
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
It doesn't send the best message, but it serves a good purpose.

It's a cooling off.

All this kids have friends, cliques, sometimes even gangs.

Most school altercations now lead to next day incidents, where the friends of a single suspended party will confront the other student involved in the altercation.

Simply removing all parties for a few days helps keep the public order.

It's not a great, or particularly fair, solution, but it's very effective.

imanaknut
03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Makes a lot of sense Kad. I can see the next time: "Yes I could have disarmed the kid with the gun, but since I knew I would have gotten suspended I stayed away and watched him kill 10 students before he turned the gun on himself."

Yep, makes perfect sense.

Oswald Bastable
03-02-2013, 12:49 PM

It's a cooling off.

Most school altercations now lead to next day incidents, where the friends of a single suspended party will confront the other student involved in the altercation.

So your preference would have been to let the kid with the gun shoot whomever he wanted?

Because when you punish people for good deeds, how often will they do a good deed in the future? And who else, knowing they will be punished for it, will step up to the plate to do that good deed?

Sherman
03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Impossible schools are a gun free zones.

Kadmos
03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
So your preference would have been to let the kid with the gun shoot whomever he wanted?

Because when you punish people for good deeds, how often will they do a good deed in the future? And who else, knowing they will be punished for it, will step up to the plate to do that good deed?

Would the prospect of a 3 day suspension stop you from defending yourself or anyone else if the situation arose?

It wouldn't stop me in the slightest.

Like I said, it's more of a cooling off than a punishment.

Oswald Bastable
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Would the prospect of a 3 day suspension stop you from defending yourself or anyone else if the situation arose?

It wouldn't stop me in the slightest.

Like I said, it's more of a cooling off than a punishment.

Ah...that must be why government taxes what they wish to reduce, and subsidizes that which they wish to promote...because it doesn't reduce what is being punished, and doesn't encourage what is being subsidized.

N/A
03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Kadmos....the sky is blue.

1 Patriot-of-many
03-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Makes a lot of sense Kad. I can see the next time: "Yes I could have disarmed the kid with the gun, but since I knew I would have gotten suspended I stayed away and watched him kill 10 students before he turned the gun on himself."

Yep, makes perfect sense. Liberal reasoning just defies logic doesn't it?

1 Patriot-of-many
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Kadmos....the sky is blue.:pray:

alismith
03-02-2013, 02:24 PM

It's a cooling off.

Nope. Not even close. What the school is saying, to those too hard-headed to understand, is that the school, and all liberals, WANT another shooting incident. That way they can go after more guns and completely disarm everyone.

No shooting incident; no reason for further gun control.

Get with the program and stop trying to make ridiculous excuses for other liberals.

stinker
03-02-2013, 04:28 PM

It's a cooling off.

Horseshit.

If that was the reason then you give the kid an excuse from attending class for a few days with no obligation to make up the days.
You know, kind of like how a doctors note works...

You suspend the kid and it goes on his record as a punishment for bad behavior.
Period.

This is nothing more than the zero tolerance nanny state insanity/bullshit rearing it's ugly head yet again.

Nope. Not even close. What the school is saying, to those too hard-headed to understand, is that the school, and all liberals, WANT another shooting incident. That way they can go after more guns and completely disarm everyone.

No shooting incidnet; no reason for further gun control.

That too.

The libtards need more dead children to push their desired agenda forward.

Krupski
03-02-2013, 05:00 PM

It's a cooling off.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No... ARE YOU INSANE?

First of all, the kid(s) that grabbed the gun away from the shooter are heros. THEY could have gotten shot in the process... but they acted and most likely save a life.

Secondly, if there is any lingering hostility brewing that would lead to a "next day incident", do you think the student(s) will wait until SCHOOL? Or will they just walk to the kids house and do whatever they had planned to do?

Damn man, I hate to say this, but if Jews are all like you, now I KNOW why they marched into the gas chambers to be killed and then burned. Your thinking is ass-backwards... and you give humanity WAY too much credit.

Zum der linken, Herr Kadmos!

Punk
03-02-2013, 05:33 PM
More brain dead zero tolerance policy nonsense. Kids involved with a weapon incident? They all get suspended, good and bad are treated equally. There is no right or wrong, there is only the State, and the State must be obeyed!

Partisan1983
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
WOW!!!

...just fucking WOW!

:duh:

AK again
03-02-2013, 05:57 PM

It's a cooling off.

Bullshit. I often consider your perspective. This is just moronic though, Kad.

Kadmos
03-02-2013, 08:14 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No... ARE YOU INSANE?

First of all, the kid(s) that grabbed the gun away from the shooter are heros. THEY could have gotten shot in the process... but they acted and most likely save a life.

I'm not saying the kids did a bad thing, I'm just explaining why they likely got suspended.

Secondly, if there is any lingering hostility brewing that would lead to a "next day incident", do you think the student(s) will wait until SCHOOL? Or will they just walk to the kids house and do whatever they had planned to do?

Exactly.

Not to be cold about it, but who's problem is it then?

Not the schools. Maybe it becomes a police matter.

But the school doesn't have to deal with it.

Add 3 days, plus likely a weekend, and the problem is likely to be solved before they come back to school, making it not the schools problem.

They may do something that night, but if they know they are going to see each other at school, then they will likely do it there. So the school minimizes it's liability.

Damn man, I hate to say this, but if Jews are all like you, now I KNOW why they marched into the gas chambers to be killed and then burned. Your thinking is ass-backwards... and you give humanity WAY too much credit.

This is just a matter of being practical. If one incident is likely to lead to another, then it's best, from the schools perspective, that it doesn't happen at school

When I taught we called it a "3 day cool off", out of school suspension (oss), we didn't have to worry about problems the next day, and the OSS would usually be pulled from the kids record if they only got one that year.

Oswald Bastable
03-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Exactly.

Not to be cold about it, but who's problem is it then?

Not the schools. Maybe it becomes a police matter.

But the school doesn't have to deal with it.

Add 3 days, plus likely a weekend, and the problem is likely to be solved before they come back to school, making it not the schools problem.

They may do something that night, but if they know they are going to see each other at school, then they will likely do it there. So the school minimizes it's liability.

And so "The Education System...aka The State" washes their hands of the incident...nothing to see here folks, move along. Achieving nothing productive for instruction in right or wrong, all parties are summarily informed that "The Education System...aka The State" will enforce no true justice, equally or otherwise, teaching all involved that justice is absolutely immaterial, rather than blind. Effectively teaching all that there is no justice in the world, not even at the lowest levels of "The State's" authority.

Brilliant! We must teach our children that justice is just a word bandied about for feel good, namby pamby artifice, and from the beginning of their indoctrination by "The State", the only thing they can be sure of is that "The State" is completely capricious...suspension today, gulag tomorrow, execution the day after.

Tell me Kadmos...are their any absolutes in your world? Anything even resembling right or wrong, good or evil, black or white...or is your entire world painted in shades of non-committal, completely conformist gray?

Kadmos
03-02-2013, 11:46 PM
And so "The Education System...aka The State" washes their hands of the incident...nothing to see here folks, move along. Achieving nothing productive for instruction in right or wrong, all parties are summarily informed that "The Education System...aka The State" will enforce no true justice, equally or otherwise, teaching all involved that justice is absolutely immaterial, rather than blind. Effectively teaching all that there is no justice in the world, not even at the lowest levels of "The State's" authority.

Brilliant! We must teach our children that justice is just a word bandied about for feel good, namby pamby artifice, and from the beginning of their indoctrination by "The State", the only thing they can be sure of is that "The State" is completely capricious...suspension today, gulag tomorrow, execution the day after.

You are confusing government, justice, schools, and the state.

The schools are mostly concerned with the appearance of giving an education, while maintaining some sort of order....justice has little to do with it.

Correction....the schools are mostly concerned with not losing their jobs, which boils down to "don't get sued"

It would be fantastic if every experience could be a positive learning experience, but the truth is that many of the schools are often just a few minutes from anarchy. The focus of student discipline isn't justice, it's keeping things from spinning out of control.

Tell me Kadmos...are their any absolutes in your world? Anything even resembling right or wrong, good or evil, black or white...or is your entire world painted in shades of non-committal, completely conformist gray?

Very few absolutes for me personally. I don't think of this as "conformist gray", but what someone who thinks for themselves actually finds the world to be.

I think it is the conformists who see the world in black and white, those who don't question or think about things themselves.

Don't confuse this with morality, I'm likely one of the most moral people one could meet. But my morality centers mostly around the golden rule.

Not that any of this has to do with the subject at hand, I like I imagine most people do, think the children who wrestled the gun away acted heroically.

But I'm not at all surprised they got suspended, because I understand why they got suspended.

Charliebravo
03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I suppose it depends on how this went down with the school administration. If the Principal said "you boys violated district the district policy that requires you to be a sniveling pussy in the face of danger", then it's bullshit.

If it was "Hey boys, you did good and probably saved a life. Unfortunately, we're concerned about reprisals, so we're going to let you stay home for a few days until this all blows over. Don't worry about the missed work. We'll handle it. Thanks again", then I don't have a major beef with the decision.

I often have to work as a fill-in for sick School Resource Officers, so I know what the attention span of the average teenager is nowadays. They have a tendency forget about what they were even mad about within a few days. While I generally don't agree with Kadmos on most issues, I'm a taxpayer; therefore, I want my school district to expose themselves to as little civil liability as possible. As long as there's no actual sanction and the incident isn't listed in their school records as a disciplinary action, then I've got no beef with letting them stay home for a few days.

stevelyn
03-03-2013, 01:13 AM
He is suspended because his actions don't support the leftist mantra of dependancy on govt.

They couldn't care less that he may have saved countless lives, they see them as expendable anyway. They are probably disappointed that there weren't any lives sacrificed to the cause and blood to dance in.

Oswald Bastable
03-03-2013, 01:25 AM
You are confusing government, justice, schools, and the state.

The schools are mostly concerned with the appearance of giving an education, while maintaining some sort of order....justice has little to do with it.

Correction....the schools are mostly concerned with not losing their jobs, which boils down to "don't get sued"

It would be fantastic if every experience could be a positive learning experience, but the truth is that many of the schools are often just a few minutes from anarchy. The focus of student discipline isn't justice, it's keeping things from spinning out of control.

Very few absolutes for me personally. I don't think of this as "conformist gray", but what someone who thinks for themselves actually finds the world to be.

I think it is the conformists who see the world in black and white, those who don't question or think about things themselves.

Don't confuse this with morality, I'm likely one of the most moral people one could meet. But my morality centers mostly around the golden rule.

Not that any of this has to do with the subject at hand, I like I imagine most people do, think the children who wrestled the gun away acted heroically.

But I'm not at all surprised they got suspended, because I understand why they got suspended.

Thank you for validating all my points.

rci2950
03-03-2013, 08:46 AM
They are punished because they prevented another chance for the left to push gun control. Could have been more dead kids for the TV.

nfa1934
03-03-2013, 12:03 PM
This is all about conditioning. In modern "education" the school represents the state. Zero Tolerance is about nothing more than making future citizens submissive to the state. You teach children that the school can make unjust rules and treat them however it pleases. They take the lesson to adulthood, where the citizen understands that the state can make unjust rules and treat them however it pleases. These heroic students committed one of the greatest crimes against the state, they usurped the state's monopoly on violence. They couldn't be allowed to go to adulthood with the idea that you can defend yourself without consequence.

Napalm281
03-03-2013, 02:00 PM
This is a total pile of $#!T...... he should be given a new car by the school like they do kids who go all 12 years without ever missing a day.

Krupski
03-03-2013, 02:04 PM
When I taught we called it a "3 day cool off", out of school suspension (oss), we didn't have to worry about problems the next day, and the OSS would usually be pulled from the kids record if they only got one that year.

When I was in grade school and high school, there was no such bullshit as "zero tolerance".

If there was a dispute, the two guys met in the school parking lot after class and duked it out. The first guy to get a bloody nose was the loser.

Then it was over, and usually ended in a handshake.

And, we didn't snitch. Where did I get that black eye? I ran into the doorway. Parents knew it was BS, and they understood.

"Zero tolerance" is THE WORST thing a school can do. A kid will submit to a bully over and over again out of fear of being suspended or expelled for "zero tolerance".

Then one day he can't take it anymore, comes to school with daddy's pistol and blows away the bully (and a few other kids that picked on him too).

Knowing that he's now totally screwed, he saves the last round for himself.

It's all over the news.. "He was such a quiet boy - I just don't understand it". Followed by "We need more gun laws".

This kinds of shit wouldn't happen if *I* were a school principal. I would have ZERO TOLERANCE for "zero tolerance" policies.

Krupski
03-03-2013, 02:05 PM
If it was "Hey boys, you did good and probably saved a life. Unfortunately, we're concerned about reprisals, so we're going to let you stay home for a few days until this all blows over. Don't worry about the missed work. We'll handle it. Thanks again", then I don't have a major beef with the decision.

I agree with you on that... but you KNOW that's not the reason the hero kids were suspended.

Krupski
03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
They are punished because they prevented another chance for the left to push gun control. Could have been more dead kids for the TV.Actual ones this time.