PDA

View Full Version : New to AK builds where to start

oneeye
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi I am an AR guy and would like to build an AK from scratch dont know what kind or where to start. I am also new to the forum thanks.

slamfire51
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Welcome oneeye.
The easiest way to start is to get an AK parts kit of some type. The Romanian "G" kits seem to be more available and cheaper than other variants.

I would start off with a receiver from NoDak Spud. They offer several receivers at different prices. I always used their economy receiver.
Next you need access to a press to remove the barrel pin and barrel and to reinstall both.
You will need riveting tools to rivet the trunnions. You'll need the correct rivets for the given kit you decide on.

To build a compliant rifle, you'll need to replace some foreign parts.

These can include US made:

-Barrel (common now that recently imported kits do not include a barrel)
-Fire Control Group (trigger, hammer, and disconnector) =3 parts
-Furniture (replacing each piece will add one US part to the mix.)= 3 parts if stock, grip, and butt stock are replaced w/ US made ones.
-Receiver =1
-Muzzle device (if barrel is threaded.) =1
-Mag Complete US made mag = 3 parts. (you can use a foreign mag body but replace the follower and floor plate with US made ones)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ATAK, Inc.
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the board oneeye! Glad to have you here!

Slamfire has hit it on the head but don't forget to get rivets!

slamfire51
09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the board oneeye! Glad to have you here!

Slamfire has hit it on the head but don't forget to get rivets!

That being a given, I forgot to add them. They have been added to the list. Thanks ATAK.

Get "Wibbets" for sure.

oneeye
09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Slamfire

I checked out that site but still a little confused, what reciever should I get if I want to put a fixed stock on it, and if I go with a side folder will it make a difference.
Also what receiver for what parts kit and you mentioned a barrel where do those come from. I am really dumb to the ak47. I build ar15 custom uppers, but this ak stuff has me confused. I also wanted to mention I want to build a nice ak and I want to use high quality parts if they are out there. Thanks

slamfire51
09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Look about 3/4 way down receiver page.
NDS-3 "economy" for a fixed stock. On sale by the way.
http://nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Folder receiver depends what folder you are planning to use.

slamfire51
09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Slamfire
You mentioned a barrel where do those come from.

That I don't know.
Someone will chime in and have the info for you.

oneeye
09-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Look about 3/4 way down receiver page.
NDS-3 "economy" for a fixed stock. On sale by the way.
http://nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Folder receiver depends what folder you are planning to use.

Okay I will check it out and get back to ya slamfire thanks my man.

Tx Dogblaster
11-10-2010, 10:29 PM
I think Green Mountain makes US made barrels but I don't think they're chrome lined. The best bet would be to watch the different forums and find a kit with the original barrel. Especially for a first build. That way you're not as likely to have head space issues. Beware though, it'll be hard to stop at just one... I'm addicted to building AK's!!!

AK-Karl
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Here is a place to get barrels, they are not chrome lined.
But they do have a $25 option to get yours chrome lined.

http://armsofamerica.com/us762x39romanianmodelbarrel6999.aspx

The fixed stock rear trunnion will accept the Romy side folding stock & a few side folders that Tapco makes.