PDA

View Full Version : 500 S&W

aliceinchains
09-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Never shot one but i want a first hand experience. What is the foot pound out of the muzzle with factory ammo.

What is the bullet grain specs. Starting to ..... and the biggest . Alot of stress on the crane is it made thicker.

AKTexas
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Never shot one but i want a first hand experience. What is the foot pound out of the muzzle with factory ammo.

What is the bullet grain specs. Starting to ..... and the biggest . Alot of stress on the crane is it made thicker.

I will recount my experience with 4 different models I have had the pleasure to shoot.

I was at the local range shooting my 7.5" stainless Super Blackhawk .44mag shooting hot handloads at 15 yards(the 25 yard range was filled).I doing well placing all the shots in the center with ease.A guy my age came up to me and said "would you like to shoot a real gun?" I'm always willing to shoot someone else ammo.

He handed me his 4" S7W 500 and 5 rounds.He said it does not group well but is fun to shoot.I took my stance and placed 5 rds center 6" low the group was just a big ragged hole not a shotgun pattern as the owner did.My first thought was wow what a blast,my wife at the time now my ex said it had a huge fireball.I felt like I had a flash burn after shooting it.

The next time I at the same range shooting a new target model 14 8" Smith&Wesson .38 Sp.There was a disabled fellow there with his wife and they were shooting .22's and such no biggie.The fellow approached me and was complimenting me on my skills.We talked about the big bores and told he bought one the new 500 but recently had neck surgery and was unable to test the pistol.So he gave me a box of 20 rounds and asked me if I was willing to test the pistol for him.I said sure always willing to shoot someone else's ammo.He laughed at that and handed me his 6" S&W 500.Recoil seemed less than the last time I shot one of these.But same results for me shooting low but center one ragged hole.

The last two times were two different models both owned by the same guy.He bought them as an investment and never fired them.He is a co-worker of one of my uncle's friend.My uncle's friend told his co-worker about me and how accurate I shoot so he joined us one morning and handed me both pistols and a 20 rounds.One model was 6" the other was a 2" yellow gripped version.

The 6" was only off by an inch or so but the 2" was hitting the bottom of the paper and my face felt like I had been sunburned after shooting it.

Overall I enjoyed shooting these but not too the point I wanted one.

Now I have a BFR 45/70 and not I give two shits about the 500.I can bust rocks at 50 yards open sights with the BFR.

OSOK has a 500 rifle maybe he call give the specs you need.

Gunreference1
09-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Buffalo Bore offers some stout loads for the 500 S&W.

400gr. JFN - http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97

440gr. LFN - http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=98

Steve

O.S.O.K.
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM
My 500 S&W is an NEF handi rifle :)

I have some 440 grain hard cast loads worked up - 1800-1900 fps from the NEF, but I haven't shot them yet.

The 350 grain loads that I worked up - same velocities were not bad at all - but based on the groups and a recovered bullet, I think I was squeezing the bullet base down when I crimped them into the case - these are Barry's plated bullets and I think they must be pure lead core.... I also had one of those loads failt to ignite! Keep in mind these take large rifle primers.... so that's just weird and supports the "theory" that I was sizing them down during loading...

So we'll see how the 440's do.

davepool
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/dpool50/coltglockSWs009.jpg

I've had these for a couple years, the one with the scope is a .460 the other a .500. Ammo for the .460 is somewhat limited compared to the .500. I've fired most of the factory ammo available for the 500 from 350 grn to 500 grn with muzzle energy ranging from 1900 ft.lbs to over 2500. The 500grn hornady and 400grn winchester can be pretty brutal recoil wise. Accuracy from the 8 3/8" barrel is decent if you learn not to anticipate the shot. With the 200grn hornady SST i've fired some nice 5 shot groups under 3" at 100 yds with the .460 and can keep all 5 shots in an 8" target at 200 yds from a rest after lots of practise. Check the link below for a guy who makes some crazy 700grn hardcast ammo for the 500.

http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Default.aspx?tabid=252105