PDA

View Full Version : The prelude to a fart

rci2950
03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Picked this up at a thrift store today for $4. A Littmann Classic. Gave it a really good cleaning with Dettol solution including complete disassembly of the diaphragm etc. Now that it is clean and dry I have been having fun. Drinking water and hearing it slosh into my stomach. Eating food and hearing the bites splash down. Jumping up and down hearing everything slosh around.

Interesting what you don't normally hear. Especially the prelude to a fart. Working its way down to the exit. It is very dramatic.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8570754762_96bfb8d195_b.jpg

Sergi762
03-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Gonna try the Sauerkraut again armed with this?

Schuetzenman
03-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Picked this up at a thrift store today for $4. A Littmann Classic. Gave it a really good cleaning with Dettol solution including complete disassembly of the diaphragm etc. Now that it is clean and dry I have been having fun. Drinking water and hearing it slosh into my stomach. Eating food and hearing the bites splash down. Jumping up and down hearing everything slosh around.

Interesting what you don't normally hear. Especially the prelude to a fart. Working its way down to the exit. It is very dramatic.

Dude you ARE strange.

Krupski
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM

I was always fascinated by those X-ray videos of people swallowing or the heart beating.

At my university we have a really neat Toshiba X-ray machine in our "Toshiba Stroke Research Center (http://www.ubns.com/clinical-expertise/stroke-and-aneurysm-treatment/toshiba-stroke-research-center/)". It uses ultra short X-ray pulses and a solid state (CCD) imager to capture full motion X-rays without a dangerous amount of X-ray exposure.

It's used to image blood flow through various animals (usually pigs) that have aneurysms and nitinol stents inserted. The school is one of the primary developers of the stent for use in arterial aneurysms.

I worked on some of the first research imaging fluid flow through simulated aneurysms (using a saline/ethylene glycol mix as a blood analog).

We ran this stuff through a pulsatile pump to simulate blood pressure pulses in arteries, then injected fluorescent dye into the flow and, illuminated with an argon laser, the dye glowed orange and showed us the swirling turbulence in the aneurysm.

That's how we learned the mechanism that causes an aneurysm to rupture and that led to the design of the stent to break up the turbulent flow and protect the arterial wall (before the stent grew into the tissue itself).

Many years ago we had a kid from Germany who had an inoperable aneurysm in his brain. His parents agreed to an experimental surgery to insert a nitinol stent in the artery. It worked and the kid survived (and is now grown up!).

It's really cool to be a part (albeit a very small part) of medical breakthroughs like that.

studmuffin
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
:pray::jerkoff::dancingsmile::clap::clap: You da man! You da man!

5.56NATO
03-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Canada is America's hat! Also, in Canada, milk comes in bags!

raxar
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Canada is America's hat! Also, in Canada, milk comes in bags!

American milk comes from bags too, but they're connected to the cow.