PDA

View Full Version : My Latest FB Post

ltorlo64
03-21-2013, 07:43 PM
So now the Congress is pushing for “Universal Background Checks” as a means of getting what they can in area of gun control. The impetus for this push is the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. This shooting is a tragedy that is almost too much to think about, but with Congress pushing to “do something”, we need to, at least a little.

The biggest question we need to ask ourselves is if a law requiring background checks for all firearm purchases would have done anything to prevent this tragedy, or any of the recent shootings. The answer is no. In the last three shootings, Sandy Hook, Clackamas Town Center, and the shooting of the firefighters in New York, all firearms used were obtained either through theft or by using someone who could pass a background check (straw purchase). In fact, if you look at the shootings that have happened, in very, very few cases would a background check have prevented the criminal from getting the guns they wanted.

Now the question becomes, if universal background checks would not have had any effect on whether these acts happened or not, why is Congress pushing these controls. I believe there are two main reasons for this;

1. Gun registration. You may wonder how I can equate a background check with registration. When you buy a gun from a gun store and they do a background check, the background check is documented on a Firearms Transaction Record, Form 4473. The dealer is required to keep these forms for 20 years after the sale. While it is illegal for the government to collect these forms now, it would only take a law change to require them to be turned in. This is why I equate this to gun registration.

2. Taxing private sales. Currently there is no tax paid on private sales, as there is no tax paid on kind of private sale. Well, that is except for cars. The private sale of automobiles is taxed because the sale must be reported to the state to get the vehicle licensed.

It is up to us to contact our Congress people and tell them to resist the impulse to “do something”, especially when the something they are proposing would not have stopped the act they claim to be trying to prevent.

rci2950
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Expect the usual flak. Otherwise good post.

ltorlo64
03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
h
Expect the usual flak. Otherwise good post.

I know. But I am not shooting (pun sort of intended) to change the minds of the hard liners but of the people who just don't have the information except as provided by the MSM. As for the hard liners, I just want to make them look foolish, which generally isn't that hard.

alismith
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Excellent post. The only problem I can see with it is if you are targeting people who don't know the issues, they, probably, don't own any guns. To many of them, they will see nothing wrong with background checks OR gun registration. Most won't care one way or the other.

I'm not downplaying your post or your strategy, but there are a lot of clueless people out there who are prefectly content to remain clueless. They don't have a horse in the race, so they don't care about the race. Sad.

AK again
03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Good to read this. I was wondering about the reasons behind our collective resistance to UBCs earlier today.

cootertwo
03-22-2013, 04:48 AM
I held a FFL in Florida, for 6 years. Records check was and is a must, (IF you are a licensed dealer). The dealer has to call FDLE and give the purchasers full name, social security number, address, and date of birth, and I think race. (I let my FFL expire years ago). After the FDLE has all that info, they put you on hold, possibly for many minutes. (I once had a cell phone battery die, at a gun show while waiting for an answer). You don't have to tell them what the purchaser is trying to buy, but I'll guarantee you that the person is now on a list. (REGISTERED?) ???? Also, when you let your FFL expire, you are required to send all your 4473's to FDLE. Been that way for many years. Just another example of the ass hats that are trying to pass NEW laws, that don't even have a clue as to the laws currently in force! And while I'm on a roll, I don't care how many licenses, concealed carry permits, or locks on your guns you have, if THEY want you, you and you guns are gone.

ltorlo64
03-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Excellent post. The only problem I can see with it is if you are targeting people who don't know the issues, they, probably, don't own any guns. To many of them, they will see nothing wrong with background checks OR gun registration. Most won't care one way or the other.

I'm not downplaying your post or your strategy, but there are a lot of clueless people out there who are prefectly content to remain clueless. They don't have a horse in the race, so they don't care about the race. Sad.

I would have to disagree. According to polling most people who own guns see nothing wrong with the universal background check idea. They believe that it will help, until the facts are given to them, then they start to change their minds. We defeated (for now) the new assault weapons ban, it is my goal to not compromise and go for a full defeat of any new measures, but to do that I have to get people to think critially about what is being proposed.

ltorlo64
03-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Just saw that my post has been reposted by someone else! It is good to be appreciated.

Full Otto
03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
I hope this is in line with the thread. I saw an ad for this last night but it seems to have been around since February. I haven't seen it brought up here but may have missed it.
I hope to see it now that I know about it. It does get into the reactions and calling for more laws and bans.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-01-17/news/hc-pbs-newtown-series-0117-20130117_1_adam-lanza-sandy-hook-elementary-pbs-newshour
PBS has announced plans to broadcast a weeklong series of documentaries and news specials surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, "After Newtown," from Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newtown-divided/

ltorlo64
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
I hope this is in line with the thread. I saw an ad for this last night but it seems to have been around since February. I haven't seen it brought up here but may have missed it.
I hope to see it now that I know about it. It does get into the reactions and calling for more laws and bans.

http://articles.courant.com/2013-01-17/news/hc-pbs-newtown-series-0117-20130117_1_adam-lanza-sandy-hook-elementary-pbs-newshour
PBS has announced plans to broadcast a weeklong series of documentaries and news specials surrounding the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, "After Newtown," from Monday, Feb. 18, to Friday, Feb. 22.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newtown-divided/

It is sort of related. This is how a lot of people are getting bad information and come the the "realization" that "something has to be done". They are trying to saturate people with bad news so that they do not think guns can be used for good, and since guns can't be used for good doing background checks is the least we can do to "keep the children safe". I am trying to get information out so that people will think about what happened, what is being proposed to fix it, and how the two have nothing in common. And since they have nothing in common, why would Congress be pushing for these new regulations.