PDA

View Full Version : Question about poaching

ready
03-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Im not a hunter even though Im not opposed to it but I hate poachers.

My question is, theres a spot where I like to shoot in Maine where theres a hunters blind set up on an old logging road. Ive been watching "north woods law" and it looks like its pretty hard to get a moose tag and that if you get a moose you have to bring it to a station to be documented.

Twice, Ive found butchered moose 100yds or so from this blind. Antlers cut off, legs and rib cage left behind like they just cut the meat and rack off and left the rest.

I have a feeling they were poached but Im not sure. Not only will I call fish and game but Im gonna drive my truck over his blind too if hes poaching moose.

Kadmos
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
What was the question?

ready
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Sorry, were those animals poached?

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Call Fish and Game for sure, but don't mess with the blind.

You wreck the blind and the moose killers will know the jig is up and not return.

Fish and Game can stake it out to bust these dudes or at least investigate it for clues.

Also, if these guys are legit you don't want to be breaking private property. Front legs are the toughest part and moose are heavy. They may have just taken the Trophy and the best cuts to save weight. You don't know if they turned in tags when they got back to town. The law doesn;t care what condition your animals in. They just want your papers to be straight.

Just tell your story to the apropriate authorities and they'll be able to figure it out.

ready
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Roger that. Last time we were out there, there was a guy standing at the end of the road giving us the stink eye. I waved and he scowled. Not sure if that was him pissed off that we were in his spot or if he was just your typical local. They hate out of towners up there.

Kadmos
03-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Sorry, were those animals poached?

Seems likely.

I'd call the game warden. Maybe they'll set up a trail cam or something. Also contact your district representative.

I hate that states are making it tougher to hunt, you just end up with more poachers. And of course the whole take it to a station thing just means poachers end up wasting meat by not taking the whole animal

btcave
03-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Sounds suspicious. I've butchered elk in the field and left rib cage, lower fore legs and took the head, but the useable meat was stripped from the bones. We packed it out that way, but what you are describing doesn't jive with that.

ready
03-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Im under the impression it was poached too. I think they have to field dress them in maine and take them to be inspected and tagged. You cant even transport a moose in maine unless is visible during transport.

rci2950
03-22-2013, 03:18 AM
Hollandaise sauce is the key to a good poached.... Wait a minute

l921428x
03-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Im under the impression it was poached too. I think they have to field dress them in maine and take them to be inspected and tagged. You cant even transport a moose in maine unless is visible during transport.

I do not know the laws where you are. So stay away from the place you are talking about and alert the game wardens to your concerns. They are more able to figure this out and you won't be poached. Poachers have been known to be very dangerous!

Here in Georgia, they kill Black bear juet for the Spleen. Some kind of hot stuff in the Orient.

ready
03-22-2013, 03:40 AM
The guy I saw just looked like he wanted to shoot me. Wouldnt be hard to make murder look like a hunting accident out there. IF they even found you.

BISHOP
03-22-2013, 05:31 AM
Where in Maine do you live?? I'm in the Bangor area.

BISHOP

5.56NATO
03-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Doesn't poaching require a pot of boiling water?

ready
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM

BISHOP

I dont live there. I live in Nevada but I go to Portage 2 or 3 times a year. I love it up there.

l921428x
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Doesn't poaching require a pot of boiling water?

only if you have eggs?

Kadmos
03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
only if you have eggs?

Poached moose eggs?

Partisan1983
03-22-2013, 05:05 PM
I hate poachers.

Yes I am a hunter (not a very good one) but I am also a conservationist.

Now if some animal is threatening me or a loved one or is rabid, of course I will kill it.....but I will still do my damnedest to make it a quick/clean kill.

Now...a cousin of my wife's, her husband (more like leach)...he traps, then tortures, then he eventually kills whatever poor creature the sick fuck gets his hands on...I know not quite the same as a poacher, but still.

l921428x
03-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Poached moose eggs?

C'mon Kad really, do Moose lay eggs?

rci2950
03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

BISHOP

Maine military supply is extraordinarily enjoyable.

I use to make the trip with the wife once a year and that was the only place on my list. My wife owned the rest of the trip

Sherman
03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Go get you a game camera and set it up in a inconspicuous place but on a known trail the poacher will likely use to get to the blind. Make sure the camera has a infrared flash. If they see it, they will take it.

l921428x
03-22-2013, 05:35 PM
I disagree with Sherman stay away from these people. You said yourself he looked at you " liked he wanted to shoot me ". Ready dont play with people you do not know. Especially in a place where they might not find you, your words.

studmuffin
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I can forgive poaching, if they honestly needed the food and made maximum use of the carcass. It sounds like these guys were simply looking for out of season trophies. Hence they get no sympathy from me. Meh

l921428x
03-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I agree. Here 30 miles outside of Atlanta, it is not unuasual to see 6-8 deer moving in a group. I think you can take 10 does and 2 bucks. This is because the insurance industry is tired of paying the price of autos hitting deer. But there is one major problem, no hunters. So we cringe when ever we drive early in the morning or at evening. Hell a few years ago they had to have a controlled kill 50 miles n. of Atl because the animals were starving.

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20031110/009831.html

Kadmos
03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
C'mon Kad really, do Moose lay eggs?

I said nothing about laying.

Obviously they don't lay them, but I figure oocyte retrieval is possible for a moose...(moosette?)

Now, I do think doing a Transvaginal oocyte retrieval (TVOR) on a moose, just to poach the egg is a bit ridiculous, but I guess people have done stranger things.

btcave
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
There weren't any pentagrams on the ground and a bloody slab of stone were there?

Sherman
03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
I disagree with Sherman stay away from these people. You said yourself he looked at you " liked he wanted to shoot me ". Ready dont play with people you do not know. Especially in a place where they might not find you, yords.

Down here in Texas, we do things differently. Also, walking thru the woods you will never know when you will be on somebodies game camera. Lol. I received a phone call from a high school friend one time, he had
several pictures of me looking around his deer blind. No harm, I was out walking around the woods.