PDA

View Full Version : New York with 300 "guns" arrested on Long Island

imanaknut
03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Couple of nice items in the photo. Wonder if he has the required tax stamps from the feds, and I believe you need a pistol license in the area he lives. It does appear he broke some rules.

Too bad he doesn't live in Indiana. He would still have his collection. Too bad too that the right of the people to keep and bear arms only pertained to the original members of the United States back in 1776.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/21/17403948-300-gun-arsenal-seized-from-long-island-ny-home?lite

Just remember, NBC news slant.

Krupski
03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Couple of nice items in the photo. Wonder if he has the required tax stamps from the feds, and I believe you need a pistol license in the area he lives. It does appear he broke some rules.

Too bad he doesn't live in Indiana. He would still have his collection. Too bad too that the right of the people to keep and bear arms only pertained to the original members of the United States back in 1776.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/21/17403948-300-gun-arsenal-seized-from-long-island-ny-home?lite

Just remember, NBC news slant.

I see a short barrel AR upper and what looks like a silencer. NFA stuff isn't legal in NY (no MG's or suppressors or other goodies). You need a "pistol permit" (CHL) to have handguns anywhere in NY, so if he didn't have a pistol permit, all his pistols were illegal.

I'm surprised they didn't try to spin the story into something about the new "Safe" act law in NY...

ready
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Right around the corner from a high school, too. Theyre lucky those guns didnt sneak out and go on a rampage.

tank_monkey
03-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I see a short barrel AR upper and what looks like a silencer. NFA stuff isn't legal in NY (no MG's or suppressors or other goodies). You need a "pistol permit" (CHL) to have handguns anywhere in NY, so if he didn't have a pistol permit, all his pistols were illegal.

I'm surprised they didn't try to spin the story into something about the new "Safe" act law in NY...

Just having a short barreled AR upper does not constitute an SBR. Many people have them for build ups and until they put them on an AR lower, they're legal. I know people who got the barreled uppers BEFORE they got their paperwork for an SBR. Also that short barreled AR upper i perfectly legal to own and put on an AR receiver that is registered as a pistol. I have a similar MAC-19 style DUMMY suppressor that looks just like that, so I don't see ANYTHING that is illegal (other than the fact that you apparently need a license to own any handguns in the People's Republik of New York). If it is a REAL suppressor, then he's in trouble, but you can't tell just by looking. There are tons of fake suppressors on the market. We don't need a license to own our handguns in California. We do have to demonstrate safe handling and have a safety certificate, but no license to own a pistol that is not banned by the state.

Lemoncade
03-22-2013, 01:49 AM
In 2014 California gun registration is changing. Long guns will be registered for example.

rci2950
03-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Now the media will make him out to a monster and the neighbors will say how scarry the guns are. Fuck the MSM. The guy was probably the average jo. Someone we would all have coffee with. This should be a outrage.

ready
03-22-2013, 04:13 AM
He was an FFL so hes obviously not a criminal nor have they mentioned any criminal history. What threat to society was this guy? That should be the litmus test for any arrest.

cootertwo
03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
His FIRST and biggest mistake, was letting someone into his home. Now his guns are gone, he'll have to mortgage his home and sell all his worldly possessions, to cover bail/court/attorney costs. AND still go to jail! I'd rather be dead.

deth502
03-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Police were acting on a tip from a gun owner who had taken his weapon to Steiner

and like ive been saying, this is why were all fucked.

skorpion
03-22-2013, 06:40 AM
and like ive been saying, this is why were all fucked.Yep. The "tipster" saw the guy's large collection and thought to himself, "Hmmm, I can probably get that $500 award if I tell the police about this guy!"

Krupski
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Just having a short barreled AR upper does not constitute an SBR.

I realize that a short barrel upper plus a lower registered as a pistol is a legal pistol (yes, even in New York) and not an NFA SBR, but I can imagine a person being shafted for "constructive possession" of a SBR if they owned an AR-15 rifle and a short barrel upper at the same time.

As far as the suppressor, I said "I see ... what looks like a silencer". Didn't say it WAS.

Krupski
03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
In 2014 California gun registration is changing. Long guns will be registered for example.

You guys better start fighting that crap NOW. You know what "registration" leads to......

Krupski
03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Now the media will make him out to a monster and the neighbors will say how scarry the guns are. Fuck the MSM. The guy was probably the average jo. Someone we would all have coffee with. This should be a outrage.

I would RATHER have coffee with a gun owner. Then at least I know he's not a flaming liberal asshole.....

N/A
03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I would RATHER have coffee with a gun owner. Then at least I know he's not a flaming liberal asshole.....

Remember, Roger, we have our own little marxist here....and the Fineswine was a gun owner at one time....

Krupski
03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Remember, Roger, we have our own little marxist here....and the Fineswine was a gun owner at one time....

Ouch! Good point.

Richard Simmons
03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Wonder if this is stuff he had from his FFL days that he was supposed to turn in when he let his license expire, (dealer samples and the like if NFA)?

studmuffin
03-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Yet another innocent man's life destroyed.

imanaknut
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I've said it many times, firearm owners are sometimes their own worst enemy. The guy was turned in by another firearm owner. Makes me sick.

On another site I ripped someone a new one for asking if he should turn his neighbor in for having an unregistered SBR. First we don't know if it was in fact unregistered. Second, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, so how dare "you" as a firearm owner infringe on your neighbor's rights.

I really hope this guy has a good attorney. It might be a slam dunk in New York law, but since the constitution already sets the rights, how could the state violate them? Should an outside group get involved? Could this be used to go through the history of unconstitutional firearm laws and take them to the limit to get them overturned? Damn right!

Hobe Sound AK
03-23-2013, 08:22 AM
He must have been a Fudd, a Hunting Rifle Owner! Hunters dont think like us! They think of a Gun only as a Tool. To us it is a State of Mind. an owner of a Pre-ban Type-56S-1 AKMS, like myself. would never have turned him in! it's always the damn Hunters! They love to say: (You cant hunt with that!) RIGHT! So how did I shoot out the Black Bullseyes on my Range at Sebastian at 100 Yards???? With Iron Sights!

O.S.O.K.
03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
I'd be willing to bet that this guy showed his toys to the wrong citizen... somebody collected the bounty... what is it? $2500? 8 pieces of silver.

Schuetzenman
03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Just having a short barreled AR upper does not constitute an SBR. Many people have them for build ups and until they put them on an AR lower, they're legal. I know people who got the barreled uppers BEFORE they got their paperwork for an SBR. Also that short barreled AR upper i perfectly legal to own and put on an AR receiver that is registered as a pistol. I have a similar MAC-19 style DUMMY suppressor that looks just like that, so I don't see ANYTHING that is illegal (other than the fact that you apparently need a license to own any handguns in the People's Republik of New York). If it is a REAL suppressor, then he's in trouble, but you can't tell just by looking. There are tons of fake suppressors on the market. We don't need a license to own our handguns in California. We do have to demonstrate safe handling and have a safety certificate, but no license to own a pistol that is not banned by the state.

Constructive intent, they presume you guilty, you have to prove otherwise. It is a very expensive thing even if you win you lose as you will be bankrupt.

El Duce
03-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd be willing to bet that this guy showed his toys to the wrong citizen... somebody collected the bounty... what is it? $2500? 8 pieces of silver.

These days, I am reluctant to talk to others about stuff that I (legally) have. Call me paranoid. But it only takes one phone call!

deth502
03-23-2013, 01:49 PM
He must have been a Fudd, a Hunting Rifle Owner! Hunters dont think like us! They think of a Gun only as a Tool. To us it is a State of Mind. an owner of a Pre-ban Type-56S-1 AKMS, like myself. would never have turned him in! it's always the damn Hunters! They love to say: (You cant hunt with that!) RIGHT! So how did I shoot out the Black Bullseyes on my Range at Sebastian at 100 Yards???? With Iron Sights!

im a hunter, and a gun is nothing more than a tool. giving any more human attributes to it than that is the std liberal tactic. make the gun out to be a thinking feeling entity. its not. its just a tool. the gun will never do anything you dont mke it do.

that said, id never turn anyone in for any law i feel to be immoral in the first place. i dont have any illegal guns, i dont have any explosives, i dont drink, i dont do drugs. if i saw anyone with any illegal guns, explosives, i dont care. making your own illegal "moonshie", dont care. growing/using/having drugs for your own use, dont care. dealing drugs, ehh, thats a gray subject....

ltorlo64
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
He was an FFL so hes obviously not a criminal nor have they mentioned any criminal history. What threat to society was this guy? That should be the litmus test for any arrest.

He was not a criminal, now he will be a convicted felon. Our Founding Fathers would be proud.

tank_monkey
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Constructive intent, they presume you guilty, you have to prove otherwise. It is a very expensive thing even if you win you lose as you will be bankrupt.
I would opine that one can get around that Constructive Intent. It's not the silver bullet of law corruption that everyone thinks it is. The only guys I have ever heard being popped for it were idiots. Having a short barreled Upper with an AR lower (even non attached) and there is NO OTHER barreled upper to be found, is pretty conclusive. Having a short barreled AR upper in a box filled with various uppers and parts, packed away from any rifle, creates reasonable doubt. I know there are bad lawyers who will fuck this up, but the rule of thumb is that if you have a reasonable explanation, the state has a really hard time proving its case (assuming you have fair judges and you're not one of those poor bastards everyone conspiring to put you away).

The only time it's a slam dunk for the state is if you have FULL auto conversion parts. That's a definite no no since there is no other 'use' of those parts except to convert a semi auto to a full auto. But other thinks like pistol grips, short barrels and other items have been successfully fought in courts in California, as just being parts since there are scenarios in which they are perfectly legal replacement or repair parts.

imanaknut
03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
ATF just about did away with "reasonable intent" when they approved the Beretta Neos pistol and Carbine kit. While it is possible to put the pistol barrel on the carbine stock, violating the barrel length of a rifle clause of the second amendment, there is an instruction sheet, ATF approved that tells you how to go back and forth between the carbine and pistol without getting your doors and windows broken in by huge guys in black outfits with real second amendment hardware.

Guessing this guy got bit by New York constitutional violation of his second amendment rights.

Krupski
03-25-2013, 07:06 AM
He must have been a Fudd, a Hunting Rifle Owner! Hunters dont think like us!

A few years ago I was at the range and offered to share my spot with two guys who drove up. They both had shotguns and orange vests.

As soon as I pulled out my AK and bump-fired a mag, they packed up and high tailed it out of there as if I was diseased.

5 minutes later, 2 state police cars and an unmarked car show up. 4 cops, plus one guy sitting in the unmarked car watching. They told me they had a report of someone with a "fully automatic AK47".

I showed them my AKM, showed them that it was semi-auto only (I showed the cops the insides of the action and one of the cops knew all about the "evil third pin").

I let one of the cops test the rifle. He pulled the trigger back hard and held it, then slowly let it forward and listened for the click of the disconnecter. He was satisfied that the rifle was semi-only and they left.

Why did they show up 5 minutes after the Fudds left in a panic? Give you three guesses who called them.

Fucking Fudds - They think THEY are "sportsmen" and guys who own "black rifles" are terrorists.

Krupski
03-25-2013, 08:03 AM
that said, id never turn anyone in for any law i feel to be immoral in the first place. i dont have any illegal guns, i dont have any explosives, i dont drink, i dont do drugs. if i saw anyone with any illegal guns, explosives, i dont care. making your own illegal "moonshie", dont care. growing/using/having drugs for your own use, dont care. dealing drugs, ehh, thats a gray subject....

Only thing I would get involved in and/or turn someone in would be if someone was selling dope or cigarettes to a little kid. Other than that, none of my business.

I've seen people at the range with full auto conversions. I talk to them and look at the quality of their work (and gripe about stupid NFA rules), but I would never blow them in. And if someone asked me, I see nothing, I know nothing, I hear nothing.

Krupski
03-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Guessing this guy got bit by New York constitutional violation of his second amendment rights.

What's there to guess? Didn't you read the article? The guy got busted for selling to a person he believed to be a felon and therefore not qualified to possess firearms. He violated a FEDERAL law. It has NOTHING to do with NY state.

It's just titled "first bust under new NY law" to make it seem like the law is "working".

rshaneck2002
03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah Krup but they sure as hell are playing their game (cops) that way. somewhat misleading to say the least and designed to scare the hell out of other gun owners. Turning in another gun owner?what kinda crap is that? for $500.00 chump dollars, guy probably took the cash went down the street and bought CRACK with it.

deth502
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Only thing I would get involved in and/or turn someone in would be if someone was selling dope or cigarettes to a little kid. Other than that, none of my business.

thats my problem as well. selling to the crackhead loser down the street, dont really care, hes a big boy and can make his own decisions. selling to the little kid next door, not cool.

but as long as were all adults, and no ones getting hurt (other than the one making the decision to) then i could care less what any one does. i dont see why the govt should give a shit either, especially with all of the much more pressing issues they SHOULD be dealing with.