PDA

View Full Version : DC is EXPENSIVE

ltorlo64
03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
So I have narrowed my search for a range and I think I will be going to the NRA Headquarters range. It is not too far away and the lanes are up to 50 yards. The bad thing is the cost. I was a member of a range in Washington for $75 a year. The NRA range, because I am in the military, will cost $250 a year. That is over 3 times as much! The next closest place in terms of price is $420 a year. There is an outdoor range about an hour away that does CMP matches, which I would love to do, but there are no memberships available there, and you have to be sponsored to join. Since I know no one in the area getting two sponsors will be very difficult. DC is not an easy place to shoot, and I actually live in Virginia.

El Duce
03-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Come to WV, you can shoot for free!

old Grump
03-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Now you know how I felt living in Chicago for 20 years. I used to shoot matches at indoor ranges right in Chicago when I lived in Wisconsin. Then I moved down there for my job just as all the ranges were closed then handguns got outlawed. To shoot I had to drive 200 miles to Wisconsin stay at my inlaws and if I was lucky I got 2 hours of shooting or hunting in one morning or afternoon during the weekend before having to head back.

To bad you aren't closer to Pax River, annual membership at their range is only $12 a year for military.

ltorlo64
03-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Now you know how I felt living in Chicago for 20 years. I used to shoot matches at indoor ranges right in Chicago when I lived in Wisconsin. Then I moved down there for my job just as all the ranges were closed then handguns got outlawed. To shoot I had to drive 200 miles to Wisconsin stay at my inlaws and if I was lucky I got 2 hours of shooting or hunting in one morning or afternoon during the weekend before having to head back.

To bad you aren't closer to Pax River, annual membership at their range is only $12 a year for military.

Yeah. I just checked and it is almost 2 hours away, without traffic, so probably close to 4 hours with traffic.

Richard Simmons
03-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Have you checked this site?

http://www.myvssa.org/content/where-shoot-virginia

The NRA range would probably be cheapest to pay the $15 an hour. If you don't shoot more than 16 times a year you'd be better off.

Schuetzenman
03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome to urban Amerika, tough to find a range due to being over populated and controlled by Lib-tard Democraps.

l921428x
03-24-2013, 08:18 AM
We here in Atlanta are still kinda lucky. There are still quite a few indoor and outdoor ranges. Some state and some private, some prices are kinda high, but there are usually few to chose from in any direction from the city.

jet3534
03-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Best place I ever found to shoot in VA is the Fredericksburg Rod and Gun club. Of course that location is not good for someone living in Fairfax County. The Bull Run range which is probably close to where you live is great for trap/skeet

ltorlo64
03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Best place I ever found to shoot in VA is the Fredericksburg Rod and Gun club. Of course that location is not good for someone living in Fairfax County. The Bull Run range which is probably close to where you live is great for trap/skeet

That is where I am going to do my trap shooting at, and it is not too far from where I live. It is $6 per round which is not too bad, and you can get discounts if you buy rounds in bulk. Unfortunately, they don't allow handgun or long gun shooting there. The coolest thing about the Bull Run range is it is ran by the North Virginia Parks and Recreation department, the same people that run the public parks and lakes.

ltorlo64
03-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Have you checked this site?

http://www.myvssa.org/content/where-shoot-virginia

The NRA range would probably be cheapest to pay the $15 an hour. If you don't shoot more than 16 times a year you'd be better off.

Thanks for that. I had not but had found all the ones listed there but one. I think it will be too far out, but I am getting in touch with them to make sure. It is a little different though in that it is a hunting club. That could be very interesting next fall. Just need to figure out where they are and what they charge for membership.