PDA

View Full Version : College Student Develops New Gel That Stops Bleeding Instantly

LAGC
03-24-2013, 02:47 AM
All-purpose healing gels familiar to fans of futuristic video games and movies could be about to make the transition from sci-fi fantasy to real-world medical tool thanks to a New York University student who has invented a gel that can instantly halt bleeding in even the most serious of wounds.

Veti-Gel, the name chosen by NYU student Joe Landolina uses plant polymers to rapidly solidify when applied to open wounds, and by a bizarre coincidence was initially being developed under the name Medi-Gel, the name of a fictional healing gel from the Mass Effect video game series with almost identical properties.

Humans Invent spoke to Joe Landolina about the development of Veti-Gel, and how in just a few years he went from high-school science geek to possibly securing a deal with the US military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cif-o4V-2wA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.humansinvent.com/#!/11409/the-gel-that-stops-bleeding-instantly/

Reality is becoming more amazing than Sci-Fi...

alismith
03-24-2013, 07:52 AM
In serious wounds this would be great, but I prefer to let minor cuts, scratches, bite wounds bleed a little before applying anything. The blood flow out of the body washes most infectious germs away from the site, then I apply White Oak bark to the cut and the bleeding stops pretty quickly as the bark absorbs the blood. The White Oak bark scab covers the wound and forms a very nice scab that, usually, heals without any scaring at all. 100% natural...what's not to like?

Schuetzenman
03-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Ths post should be in the survival forum.

stinker
03-24-2013, 08:20 AM
plant polymers to rapidly solidify when applied to open wounds

Used to call that stuff superglue...just sayin.

skorpion
03-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Joe Landolina uses plant polymers to rapidly solidify when applied to open wounds

Outdoorsmen and Native Americans of years past knew about the old trick of putting pine resin on wounds to seal them up quickly. Resin also has anti-bacterial properties, so they say.

Oswald Bastable
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
To be produced outside of the US because it will be considered a medical device and taxed out of existence, otherwise.

L1A1Rocker
03-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I prefer to let minor cuts, scratches, bite wounds bleed a little before applying anything.

Yep, I was always taught to "bleed it out" too.