PDA

View Full Version : Dead Horse...WASR

mushroom
09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi ya'll!! First real post since I found you again! A friend of mine at work asked me about the wasr hi-caps selling now. I think I remember but it has been a while. I told him they were good. Also they weren't as good as the SAR-1's that they use to sell because the receiver on the old ones was like the real AK's. Is this correct? is there any other differences? were the feed ramps modified in these to accept hi-caps? I'm so glad I found ya'll again!!

matshock
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
BATFE banned most foreign barrels a while back so many US AKs don't have chrome lining any more or if they do the barrel is used.

Other than that they should be about the same as the old WASRs. SAR1s also had a more correct receiver but most consider that to be cosmetic.

mriddick
09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Just to be clear WASR's have std AKM barrels, they are chromed lined. The WASR is a good starter AKM type rifle, the difference between them and the SAR is the SAR has dimples the WASR does not. The SAR was imported as a double stack rifle the WASR was imported as a single stack and opened up to double here. Also a stock SAR will have a plain barrel and no bayo lug, many of the newer WASR's are threaded or are threaded under a welded on cap (if they have that option instead) and a bayo lug (again if allowed by law where sold).

Richard Simmons
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Just to be clear WASR's have std AKM barrels, they are chromed lined. The WASR is a good starter AKM type rifle, the difference between them and the SAR is the SAR has dimples the WASR does not.

What is the purpose of those dimples and why did they leave them out of the WASR?

mriddick
09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
The dimples are mag supports, the WASR uses welded in supports. They were left out IMO so if could not be claimed it was the same receiver as a std AKM and hence more easily importable as a sporting arm as they are.

Blacksmith
09-11-2010, 11:21 AM
There is nothing wrong with the WASR as a starter AKM.
I just don’t like them because of fit and finish. I imagine by the way they are hastily built that there is an adverse effect on accuracy. and with the way century hacks the mag well out and the piston in, This can cause issues as well. The majority of the military AKM’s that where imported as barreled kits, where never fired or very lightly used. So depending on the knowledge and craftsmanship of the individual that assembled it. as well as the quality of the US made AKM receiver, will determine the outcome of the rifle.
Many think that if an AKM goes boom! It’s good to go. others like to see what the AKM is capable of.

blobman
09-11-2010, 11:29 AM
put me in the "goes boom" croud:shootski:

matshock
09-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Just to be clear WASR's have std AKM barrels, they are chromed lined. The WASR is a good starter AKM type rifle, the difference between them and the SAR is the SAR has dimples the WASR does not. The SAR was imported as a double stack rifle the WASR was imported as a single stack and opened up to double here. Also a stock SAR will have a plain barrel and no bayo lug, many of the newer WASR's are threaded or are threaded under a welded on cap (if they have that option instead) and a bayo lug (again if allowed by law where sold).

OIC, if it says specifically "WASR10" it's chrome- there are some folks touting "Romanian" CAI rifles though that use US barrels:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/p/romanian-ak-47-gp75-7-62x39-american-made-receiver-barrel-/cPath/209_214/products_id/2128

..so watch out!

Blacksmith
09-11-2010, 11:50 AM
put me in the "goes boom" croud:shootski:

For me it’s accuracy, durability and dependability. :)

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?1994-Hungarian-AMMS-and-a-few-friends!

Lysander
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
There is nothing wrong with the WASR as a starter AKM.
I just don’t like them because of fit and finish. I imagine by the way they are hastily built that there is an adverse effect on accuracy. and with the way century hacks the mag well out and the piston in, This can cause issues as well. The majority of the military AKM’s that where imported as barreled kits, where never fired or very lightly used. So depending on the knowledge and craftsmanship of the individual that assembled it. as well as the quality of the US made AKM receiver, will determine the outcome of the rifle.
Many think that if an AKM goes boom! It’s good to go. others like to see what the AKM is capable of.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've seriously considered sending my WASR to Jim Fuller over at Rifle Dynamics to have him strip it down and polish things up. Maybe a project for next year considering how many other irons I have in the fire.

ATAK, Inc.
09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi ya'll!! First real post since I found you again! A friend of mine at work asked me about the wasr hi-caps selling now. I think I remember but it has been a while. I told him they were good. Also they weren't as good as the SAR-1's that they use to sell because the receiver on the old ones was like the real AK's. Is this correct? is there any other differences? were the feed ramps modified in these to accept hi-caps? I'm so glad I found ya'll again!!

Welcome back 'shroom!!!

I have an SAR-1, excellent weapon in all aspects. I also got a WASR-2 last year, inside mag support plates, but done well, no mag wobble, actually, a few of my mags are a bit tight. This one is straight and shoots great, guess I got lucky in the WASR lottery!

Blacksmith
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I've seriously considered sending my WASR to Jim Fuller over at Rifle Dynamics to have him strip it down and polish things up. Maybe a project for next year considering how many other irons I have in the fire.

I’m sure that would help, but I’m not sure it is worth putting any more money into a WASR?
IMHO
The only appeal that they carry is the price tag. and even if you tune it up, unless you replace the receiver, you still have a cheaply manufactured rifle. but now you have more money dumped into it. If I was to add one to my collection, I would just look at it as “it is what it is” and feel good about the price I paid.

Lysander
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I’m sure that would help, but I’m not sure it is worth putting any more money into a WASR?
IMHO
The only appeal that they carry is the price tag. and even if you tune it up, unless you replace the receiver, you still have a cheaply manufactured rifle. but now you have more money dumped into it. If I was to add one to my collection, I would just look at it as “it is what it is” and feel good about the price I paid.

Yeah, that's been the other thing holding me back. Mine shoots "Well enough", and I'm going to be refinishing it soon. All the other issues I've corrected myself (FSB cant, magwell issues, etc). Short of doing a complete rebuild, I'm not sure that what he, or any other gunsmith can do, would really make a big enough difference to justify the expenditure.

Besides, all my fun money is going to ARs now.

Blacksmith
09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
all my fun money is going to ARs now.

I’m heading that direction myself. I have an RPD kit and a south African FAL kit to build. after that
I will be doing a couple of AR’s. I’m partial to the M4 style but I’m going to build one of the Lightweight rifle kits and see what it can do. :)

DeadPool
09-11-2010, 04:03 PM
My wasr has never malfunctioned and is accurate. i dont really want anymore than that. i think people that say ak's are inaccurate just need to learn how to shoot w/ open sights. if your talking full auto then yeah, they are inaccurate.

hazmat
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Most of the rifles Century's selling anymore are 'G' kits built on US made NoDak Spud receivers, or are built from new imported kits sans barrel. Green Mountain is doing the barrel work (not chrome lined) and NDS is supplying the receivers. These, IIRC, are the GP 1975 rifles, and have all the bells and whistles of the old 'post ban' rifles but with threaded barrels and bayonet lugs. As with most things Century, their reputation for quality proceeds them so buy at your own risk.

Blacksmith
09-11-2010, 04:56 PM
My wasr has never malfunctioned and is accurate. i dont really want anymore than that. i think people that say ak's are inaccurate just need to learn how to shoot w/ open sights. if your talking full auto then yeah, they are inaccurate.

What MOA are you printing with it?

Lysander
09-11-2010, 07:38 PM

My WASR is a solid 4moa rifle, which is pretty good for an AK and what I'd consider "Minute of Badguy" and be comfortable taking a shot with out to 150 yards.

I promise you, regardless of sights, I'm a fair shot.

mushroom
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys!! I'll let him know!!