PDA

View Full Version : MISR S/A

uncas1
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
A local gun store has 2 identical Century Egyptian AK's that are pistol grip configurations with laminate stocks. They don't have that strange symbol on the front trunion, but the receiver does say maadi MISR S/A. He wants $450 each.

The finish on both is about what my SAR 1 and 2 were when I purchased them. The laminate furniture doesn't look too bad but I would probably refinsh. Sights and gas blocks are straight.

What do you think, good buy? Decent guns? I wouldn't mind adding an Egyptian to my Romanian, Hungarian, and Polish AK family.

blobman
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
not sure of the significance of the starnge symbol(i know what you are talking abouyt)MY rpm HAD IT ALSO 450 isnt a greatt deal but not oo bad either ,considering they both have matching #s

imanaknut
09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The MISR S/A was Century Egyptian import with the same issues that they put on the SAR series from Romania. They have the same crappy fire control groups, and possible crooked gas and sight blocks.

Since you have inspected them, and the gas and sight blocks are straight, they are about as good as it gets for a Century import.

Price wise the MISR S/A was one of the more inexpensive of the Egyptian AK variants, but if you want an Egyptian, and the rifles look straight, I would go for it. You have to realize that there will never be any more Egyptian AK variants imported into this country unless someone figures out what "shall not be infringed" means.

Oh, for what it's worth, the MISR S/A in my collection had the worst trigger slap of any firearm I have ever shot. The easy fix was removing the disconnector, dremeling off a bit of the bottom where it slapped the trigger, and it was fixed.

uncas1
09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. I will replace the FCG with a Tapco like I did on my SAR's.

blobman
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
my RPM was a literal nail buster with the triggerslap,i too went with a g2 fcg

HDR
09-18-2010, 01:29 PM
The MISR S/A was Century Egyptian import with the same issues that they put on the SAR series from Romania. They have the same crappy fire control groups, and possible crooked gas and sight blocks.

That sounds as if you are describing mine. lol However, owner was clueless and it was too good of a deal (almost outright robbery) to pass by. I bought it figuring I'd fix it. After shooting it, I learned it is very accurate for an AK. I put an "RPK" sight on it rather than chance disturbing whatever made it accurate.. Maadis are cruel... lol

gunnutz
10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Same with mine. I also bought an RPK adjustable rear sight way back when from Global Trades. I think I payed $20.00 for the sight and $300. for the Maadi. But, That was 8-10 years ago.

gunnutz
10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
BTW, Maadi's are the closest you'll find to a Russian AK as they are made on the original Soviet equipment.

raxar
01-30-2011, 02:06 PM
anyone know if the s/a's have US made gas pistons?

imanaknut
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't believe so, I think Century got the parts count by using their trigger group, a US butt-stock, and US pistol grip; or version 2, trigger group, US pistol grip, and US mag follower; or version 3, trigger group, US butt-stock, and US mag follower.

The one I bought was a version 2.

So to answer your question straight out, I believe but cannot prove that the piston is Egyptian.

HDR
03-05-2011, 05:15 PM
BTW, Maadi's are the closest you'll find to a Russian AK as they are made on the original Soviet equipment.

True, Uncle Ivan must have really liked the Egyptians to disassemble a factory and give it to them. :D

anyone know if the s/a's have US made gas pistons?

Supposedly not having the correct parts count was what earned Maadi a spot on the shit list. :lool: