PDA

View Full Version : WASR 10/63 question

Sniperfox
04-25-2013, 01:32 PM
I just purchased a plain jane unmodded WASR10/63 from a friend. I want to do some mods to it such as change the furniture to something nicer such as a handguard rail system for an optic and perhaps a verticle grip. Are there any restrictions on modding this rifle like on the MAK90?

imanaknut
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
The only restriction would be if you replaces an American made part with an imported part. Since the handguards are imported wood, you can do anything to them you want. Same with the stock, it is imported wood so again you can replace it with anything you want without worrying about violating the imported parts count maximum of 10.

Also, forward grip on a rifle is not a problem.

l921428x
04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
welcome sniperfox.

Sniperfox
04-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys

Sniperfox
06-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Who makes a decent folding stock and handguard set that will fit a Wasr that doesn't cost a mint? Should I go side folder?

imanaknut
06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Sorry, can't help you there as I am one of those horrible purists when it comes to Kalashnikov variants. :D

Hang around, hopefully someone who can answer you will be answering you. :)

FunkyPertwee
06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Romanian push button side folders work great on AK rifles with a fixed stock rear trunnion. Only downside is they don't offer any cheek weld.

O.S.O.K.
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the board! The WASR 10/63 is a great AK. I have one myself.

These are standard stamped receiver AKM's and thus accept just about all standard AKM furniture. The side folder is a good choice as it requires no modifications. You may wish to go with a Rommie side folder and pistol grip (forward slant) hand guard to give your WASR an authentic look - as this mimics an actual military variant. Correct muzzle brake would be a slant I believe and the pistol grip should be red bakelight. But be mindful of your imported parts as mentioned. You can get US made slant brakes.

I have a build that I did with a Romanian kit that's configured this way.

Sniperfox
06-24-2013, 03:22 PM
As it is now, it has the slant brake on it and the bayonet lug. Where can I find the side folders s you described? Are there any US made equivilents that do offer a cheek weld? Is Tapco a bad thing for this rifle?

O.S.O.K.
06-24-2013, 03:40 PM
What are you after? I mean, are you more interested in practicality? A side folder is very rigid and does afford some cheek weld but it's not real comfy.

Here's a good place to get parts (they have a riser bar for side folders if you're interested - to improve cheek weld): https://www.apexgunparts.com

This place as the forward slant hand guard grips I was talking about: http://www.akparts.com/index.htm

You're going to have to look around for the side folder - that place does have AMD wire side folders and triangle type too...

You might try a "want add" here on the board - in the classifieds. Someone may have one for sale.

As to Tapco - nothing wrong with that. I have one of their AR-type adjustable stocks on my Saiga 308 - along with their SAW pistol grip. Works fine - looks OK but makes the purists vomit lol.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4025/4462018915_79385faca6_o.jpg

Sniperfox
06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info.