PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Henry H001?

El Jefe
09-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Looked at one of these this morning, nice little pea shooter, smooth action and seemed well made all around. I'm thinking this would make a nice Christmas present for my youngest boy.

So, anybody familiar with them?

TIA:)

imanaknut
09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I have the large loop carbine version.

It has one of the slickest out of the box levers I have ever used! It is very accurate. I use mine with just the iron sights and have no trouble shooting a ragged hole at 25 yards. Haven't tried it at longer distances because that is not what I bought it for.

I have also tried it with different ammo types and at least mine doesn't seem to care.

If your son is still a small person, there is an H100 youth model. It has the same barrel as the carbine (16 inch) but is about an inch shorter. The standard model has an 18 inch barrel, and is a little longer length of pull than the carbine.

Regardless as to which you get, they are great rifles with a great company standing behind them.

El Jefe
09-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Cool, sounds pretty promising and it was around $200 cheaper than the Browning lever 22 I also looked at. Not sure a 10 year old needs that nice a gun until he proves he'll take good care of it.

Thanks for the reply Iman. :)

imanaknut
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
It's AK-nut ;)

Anyway, I would get that rifle, and have your son earn it by proving that he can take care of other things. Once he has proven himself, the you can let him use the rifle and prove to you that he can take care of it.

You can always start with an old Marlin tube fed and see how he treats that. Then he can earn his way to that Henry.

AKTexas
09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I have one of those rifles.This was my son's first firearm.He and I sat at the computer looking at all the various makers of .22 rifles.My boy chose the Henry based on looks and where it was made.He was six years old and decided that he wanted a true American made cowboy gun.His words were similar to that.

He said "Dad I want an American cowboy gun",he got what he asked for.He is now 13 and he still loves his Henry and talks about passing it down to his kids one day.

El Jefe
09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I have one of those rifles.This was my son's first firearm.He and I sat at the computer looking at all the various makers of .22 rifles.My boy chose the Henry based on looks and where it was made.He was six years old and decided that he wanted a true American made cowboy gun.His words were similar to that.

He said "Dad I want an American cowboy gun",he got what he asked for.He is now 13 and he still loves his Henry and talks about passing it down to his kids one day.

Nice :)

AKT, how is it to take down and clean? How many rounds (roughly) do you put through it between cleanings?

AKTexas
09-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice :)

AKT, how is it to take down and clean? How many rounds (roughly) do you put through it between cleanings?

No need to tear it down completely.We just open the lever and run a wet brush and then a wet patch or just a wet bore snake.My son will shoot at least 100-200 rounds each trip to the range with it.We clean after each trip.