PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the WASR10...

awp101
09-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Got a flyer in the mail, a local chain is going to be having a sale on WASR10s w/5-10rd mags for $350+tax. Thumbhole stock and the mags resemble 20rd Hungarians so I'm going to say they are single stack mags.

Good, bad or indifferent price?

I know the receivers aren't dimpled and will have to be opened up for double stack mags but are they threaded under the muzzle cap or are they turned down muzzles? Bayo lugs? Do they take normal AK furniture without issue (keeping the parts count issues in mind)? Do they have the side rail for optics or not?

On a side note, I'm wanting to do a Khyber Pass style rifle. What exactly makes one a "Khyber Pass"? Just a triangle folder on a 7.62x39?:gruebel:

Thanks!

Scootertrash
09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Price doesn't sound too bad to me. I have one I bought several years ago and I have had no problems, except that the threads on the barrel for the muzzle device are US threads not left hand metric threads :conf44:

In addition:
Bayo lug: yes
Accepts normal AK furniture: Yes (AFAIK)
Side rail:Yes

These are the features of MY WASR10 your mileage may vary. ;)

I can't answer the question about the Khyber Pass clone.

A Gunbroker completed auction search shows sales ending in the 385.00 + range, then you have to pay shipping

aliceinchains
09-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Got a flyer in the mail, a local chain is going to be having a sale on WASR10s w/5-10rd mags for $350+tax. Thumbhole stock and the mags resemble 20rd Hungarians so I'm going to say they are single stack mags.

I know the receivers aren't dimpled and will have to be opened up for double stack mags but are they threaded under the muzzle cap or are they turned down muzzles? Bayo lugs? Do they take normal AK furniture without issue (keeping the parts count issues in mind)? Do they have the side rail for optics or not?

On a side note, I'm wanting to do a Khyber Pass style rifle. What exactly makes one a "Khyber Pass"? Just a triangle folder on a 7.62x39?:gruebel:

Thanks!

REDSTAR had a thread how to open up the well in the proper fashion. Sorry i miss him.

Lysander
09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
$350 for an uncoverted single stack?

If you enjoy getting anally raped, why don't you just wander on down to the Choadhouse? AIM has converted WASRs for $379 (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CAKGPWASR&groupid=11), which is still too much, IMO.

As far as the "Khyber Pass", it will be an AKM kit with AK-74 gas blocks, stamped receiver, and folding stocks in general.

hazmat
09-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks!

AFAIK, the single stack WASR 10s came mostly with butthole stocks, a welded on muzzle nut, and no lug for ye olde bayonet. There were some that had standard stocks, but mostly it was butthole stocks. This is no biggie, as the rear trunion is the same on all WASR 10 rifles. You could try to dremel the weld on the nut to see if there are in fact threads under it, but the front gas block would have to be replaced to get the bayo lug back.

Keep in mind, these rifles are meant for markets where the '94 ban is still in effect, like NY, MD, CA, and certain municipalities in IL.

Now, as to your Khyber Pass question, you could part out your WASR, discard the receiver, and get a 7.62x39 side folder receiver to rebuild it on. Unfortunately, the only one who had any, NoDak Spud, is currently out and has wishy-washy plans on another run 'sometime later in the year'. I just found that out Friday, when I called asking that very same question in regard to a 7.62x39 Krink I'm wanting to build.

You could get one of the triangle side folder jobs that plugs into the stanard trunion, but IMO, they're butt-ugly.

mriddick
09-13-2010, 08:33 PM
dunhams puts them on sale for $280 regularly, opening them up is pretty easy to do.

imanaknut
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
$350 for a single stack WASR is not really a good deal. By the time you spend the money on the replacement parts, and the time spent opening the mag well, you could have purchased an already opened WASR with all the features that made George Bush the First hyperventilate.

sevlex
09-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Classic Arms has WASRs with the full-on evil features for $40 more.

mriddick
09-14-2010, 09:07 AM
On the newer WASR single stacks (since 2003) all that is required to do to open them up is removing sheet metal from the mag well and cutting back the internal supports. They come with all USA parts a std WASR need. Plus from CAI they ship with 5-10 SS mags which I've sold or traded for double stack mags. I really think with the conversion being so simple along with being able to control how tight or loose you want your mags makes the SS a no brainier. That is if you can buy one at a decent price, it's just I don't consider $350 a great deal.

awp101
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
OK, here's my thought process:

7.62x39's of any flavor are scarce around here unless you find one at the shows. None of my usual haunts have had a WASR or Saiga in a while (new or used) and forget finding a reasonable SAR1 anymore. The only "deal" I've seen recently has been a SAR1 with a Romy sidefolder for $460 (it also included the original buttstock) but I didn't have that much in my pocket and they weren't interested in my trade bait.

This place is always high but $350 seems to be what I recall seeing them priced on dealers tables at the last couple of shows. My buddy thinks they were less (or already converted single stacks for $400) but neither of us has a memory worth a damn and the next decent show isn't until Oct. The next GOOD show isn't until after Thanksgiving.

The ss mags can be sold to someone in the Occupied Territories to offset the cost of the rifle (figure $380 after tax, probably closer to $370 though).

No matter where I order one from it's another $35 on top for the xfer fee and probably $20 shipping. At least this purchase would support "a local guy".

I already have a US FCG left over from another project so that's not an additional cost and I found a pic I'd forgotten about the seems to show MPi-KM's without bayo lugs. If I don't have my old DDR plastic furniture, I might know someone who does that might let it go cheap. If nothing else, I think I still have at least the buttstock left over from converting the SAR2 to a Bulgy triangle folder.

The sale isn't until this weekend so I'm still giving it some thought but at least you have an idea why I'm considering it (besides hitting a crack pipe...).

awp101
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
dunhams puts them on sale for $280 regularly, opening them up is pretty easy to do.
No Dunhams around here though...

mriddick
09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
If I can get one for that price would it be worthwhile for you to do the transfer? Maybe I could help you get one.

hazmat
09-14-2010, 06:39 PM
FWIW, there's a big box store here in RC that has a SS WASR 10 for $499, so...

Surly
09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Cabellas will be selling the same thing here this Saturday for the same price...if you can't find anything else, go for it.

hazmat
09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Cabellas will be selling the same thing here this Saturday for the same price...if you can't find anything else, go for it.

Them's the ones I was looking at. They also have an FEG SA-2000 (double stack) with Choate stock and an attached AMD 65 brake for $449 on the Used rack. Seriously considering that one, if nothing else for the receiver. Looks good, finish is good and very little wear from what I could make out inside the gun.

mriddick
09-14-2010, 08:06 PM
the SA2000 unless modified takes a special low cap double stack mag, not the std AK mag.

Bluedog
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Dunhams sells single stack Wasrs for about $180 all day, every day. My double stack pistol griped no-ban version was $299 on sale.

awp101
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys, I'm just going to pass for now. I'll keep rolling the pennies and see what turns up at the shows in the next couple of months.