El Laton Caliente
05-16-2013, 03:37 AM
http://www.govliquidation.com/events?cmd=details&event=11750

l921428x
05-16-2013, 04:22 AM
how much will they get for them?

cootertwo
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Seeing as how "WE" have already paid for them, they could care less how much they go for. Someone's close friend in the operation will probably end up with the whole lot, for dirt cheap. Typical gobment BS. Only God knows what "WE" paid for that stuff.

00RedZX-6R
05-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Too bad they are far away. I am waiting for someplace in Michigan to have a couple. IT think it was you who recommneded the MEP-003 or 004. Maybe it was on a different forum

Infidelski
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
We buy repair and flip these on a regular basis. Govliquidation typically gets good money for them and consider that these are all rated for extreme conditions so you'll get more out of them than they are rated.
3kw we stop bidding at $550 (more like 4.4kw)
5kw at $1200 (more like 6kw)
10kw $2000 (more like 12kw)

Some are total crap but most are good ready to run and most have small quirks, bad injectors, bad injector timing, valve lash set, froze or gummed up fuel sensors and the occasional bad throttle solenoid or generator end. A few of the generators we have seen over the years just need to be excited. All are 24volt starting system and unless its a yanmar diesel the parts can be hard to find but not impossible. A few other things: hours mean nothing as the hour meter stays with the generator end and has nothing to do with the engine and some hour meters get replaced. Usually if they are very low hours (less than 100) they probably never ran from the get go. We like to target units with 500ish hours and sometimes preview the auctions and go for units with as many as 1500 hours. All in all these are good units, I would stay clear of the 701 acoustic first they are still loud as hell and second the panels are a biotch to work around and get on and off compared to the straight skit mount units. Also consider weight, the MEP016 in gas or diesel weighs 285 pounds dry.

davepool
05-16-2013, 07:57 PM
What size would you need to run your AC, fridge/freezer, and a few lights in an emergency?

Infidelski
05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
What size would you need to run your AC, fridge/freezer, and a few lights in an emergency?

The average home with central A/C needs at least 10-12kw to run A/C and basics, check your HVAC newer units are clearly marked with their load rating you'll need at minimum 20-30% more than the A/C.

Our home is a fair example but we do not run the A/C (10kw), we run a 6500watt Winco gas generator with Honda engine hooked to the service panel with a reliance electric 8 circuit 30 amp transfer panel/switch and use two of the prewired circuits to run the hot water heater. With this we can run the garage deep freezer kitchen refer, lights, ceiling fans and the microwave. When the hot water heater comes on the generator feels it and we start shutting down lights.

Something else to consider is that most emergency/home standby or portable generators are not for continuous duty but the Military generators are rated continuous duty.

Another handy bit of advice down here in hurricane zone is to hit the garage sales or flee markets for a couple of the 120Volt battery backup UPS surge protectors, we lay these on top of our automatic garage door openers and plug the opener in to the UPS and UPS into the garage outlet. This way if you come home and lights are out the garage opener still works. I keep one of these small UPS surgeprotectors in each of the kids rooms and our bedroom to run cable boxes, VOIP phones and a light. Down here if the lights are out locally the cable/phone/internet is usually still on.

davepool
05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks. We had a power outage for 2 days last august after a bad wind storm blew down some power poles, doesn't take long for the house to turn into an oven in phoenix.

Infidelski
05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks. We had a power outage for 2 days last august after a bad wind storm blew down some power poles, doesn't take long for the house to turn into an oven in phoenix.

Being in Phoenix consider that the summer high temperature and low humidity will de-rate your generator as much as 25% as will extreme cold and high elevations. The military generators are under rated for something like 125-F at sea level (desert condition) and below zero at 10,000ft.

Be safe and use a manual transfer switch, we tried the automatic transfer switches but they don't know if every light, tv, appliance and A/C is on in the house when starting the generator and switching the load center on which makes things very interesting. With the manual switch, the power goes out and you can shut everything off in the house including the A/C but not refer/freezers, start generator and then transfer power source. From there start loading it up slowly one circuit at a time. I wired the reliance switch to the breaker panel, not very difficult and instructions are easy to follow. I ordered ours but you can pick them up at big box stores, ebay and northerntool usually for $250-$350. To run a 12kw generator you will need a 100 amp switch it will run you $600 if you shop it around but well worth it.

Broondog
05-17-2013, 02:07 AM
i run a Generac 7500/9000W gasoline unit for a backup system. it gets run/system tested 1/2hr a month regardless, even if for no other reason than to vibrate the dust off.

i had an electrician friend wire it all up with a 4 prong outside connection and a manual transfer switch. in the main panel i have 4 breakers painted red (A/C, furnace, stove and clothes dryer) that go off and stay off. 2 more are painted white (HWH and well pump) that get flipped off at first but come on as needed (never both at the same time). everything else stays on.

with this system i can keep the lights, fridge, freezer, water, hot food (microwave), TV + internet (both satellite) up and running. there is also enough juice to run a space heater or two to supplement the kerosene heater so i can stay reasonably warm in the winter. with a few fans and the design of the house (3/4 buried - think walkout basement) i can stay relatively cool even in the dead of summer here in Missouri. plus i keep enough fuel on hand for 60 solid hours of run time. with rationing i could potentially extend that 3 to 4 (or more?) times as long depending on conditions.

it's just one part of the larger plan. ;)

Infidelski
05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Price Check: there were 24 of the MEP-003 10/kw diesel generators at my local DMRO, almost all of them sold for final bids well in excess of $2,800

We bid a hand full of 10kw units up to $2,500 before backing out. IMO These prices are way too high for this economy. You have to pick them up / ship them go through them make small repairs and sell them competitively. After all is said and done there is just not enough room to see a fair return. I did pick up two mep-016 units that both need a little work, new fuel bulbs/filters, possible spark plug on the gas unit and new recoil on diesel at minimum repairs. Bid them to $655 each + buyers premium and sales tax ($812/each 1/2 day before pickup). If we flip them for $1200ish in the next 6 months or less we'll do okay.