PDA

View Full Version : "the purge"

deth502
05-19-2013, 11:37 PM
just saw this trailer earlier today.

i think the concept is pretty fucking stupid myself. but if you put that aside, and imagine it possible, it makes pondering what might actually happen in that scenerio ...... interesting.

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/the-purge/trailer

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Reminds me of John Carpenter's movies. Could be good!

LAGC
05-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Yeah, it is a pretty silly premise. The idea that having one 12-hour period a year of total lawlessness where anything goes would somehow reduce crime the rest of the year. I suppose the theory is "culling the herd", letting all the criminals and gang-bangers kill themselves, but I can't imagine career criminals patiently waiting 365 days until they can strike again. If anything, the orgy of violence would only whet their appetites and embolden them one would think. Plus security would be at its highest during those pre-planned periods of lawlessness, so there wouldn't be very many soft targets, so why strike then anyway?

That being said, I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD, just to see what kinds of twists and turns they come up with. It does certainly pique the curiosity.

T2K
05-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Added to the long list of stupid movies I'll never watch.

deth502
05-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Yeah, it is a pretty silly premise. The idea that having one 12-hour period a year of total lawlessness where anything goes would somehow reduce crime the rest of the year. I suppose the theory is "culling the herd", letting all the criminals and gang-bangers kill themselves, but I can't imagine career criminals patiently waiting 365 days until they can strike again. If anything, the orgy of violence would only whet their appetites and embolden them one would think. Plus security would be at its highest during those pre-planned periods of lawlessness, so there wouldn't be very many soft targets, so why strike then anyway?

pretty much what i was thinking. and what of the drug users/sellers? some junkie in an alley is going to wait for one day a year to shoot up some heroine?? horrible concept.

but again, raises some questions. IF it were, what would you do? defend? risk revenge on someone? rob/loot?? even being outside woul put you at a huge risk, is there anything motivating you/anyone enough to take those odds? or would that really be the lowest crime night of the year, lol.

Zygomatic
05-20-2013, 07:13 AM
I find it hard to think of thugs breaking into a home and trying to kill a mother father and two children as entertainment. I'll pass on this one.

mars
05-20-2013, 11:26 AM
The concept is absurd but it is also interesting… like deth502 stated. It is not possible to have an unemployment rate of 1% and such a low crime in a large society (millions of people). Think about the boss, employee, politician, corporation, etc you hate and the possibilities are frightening. Naturally the wealthily, powerful politicians and large corporations would have to get out of town or the country (an island or bunker) or fund a private army or PMC for protection but would they still be safe as someone will always want what you have.

5.56NATO
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Imagine a country wide human centipede!

btcave
05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
This was a Star Trek episode.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-20-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm just going to pretend it's the sequel to Training Day.

El Duce
05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?25199-The-Purge

Probably won't see it in the theater, but probably will redbox it.

raxar
05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm just going to pretend it's the sequel to Training Day.

:roflmao:

DENZEL AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!

Edited to add the premise of this movie really is fucking stupid. Like the only thing keeping me from walking outside and murdering the first person I see is that its illegal.

It would make the divorce rate go way down though......

Zygomatic
05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/tos-021-landru02/320x240.jpg

Are you one with the body?

This was a Star Trek episode.

btcave
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/tos-021-landru02/320x240.jpg

Are you one with the body?

Bingo!

stinker
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
I think i'll pass on this one myself.

Krupski
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
This was a Star Trek episode.The Return of the Archons.