PDA

View Full Version : What's your survival .22 choice?

MeanzMagnum
09-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm trying to decide which .22 would be best for my b.o.b and was hoping I could get some input from you guys.

Henry U.S. Survival .22

or

Springfield M6

If any insight could be given on these guns, it would be really helpful. I am leaning towards the U.S. Survival .22 because of the limited space it takes up when collapsed. But, I also like the .410 aspect of the M6.

old Grump
09-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I would go with the M6 given those choices, Folded up its only a bit over 18" long and the trigger can be easily used wearing heavy gloves. I'd worry less about breaking it accidentally and the .410 gives you more punch in a SD situation but still has the advantages of a fairly quiet accurate usable 22 round for small game hunting. I see nothing but advantages to it.

Besides I like the simple is better concept in the wilderness when you aren't going to have access to parts and supplies. The fewer parts to break generally means you will have less breakage. Note on other threads I have chosen single shot rifles, shotguns and single action revolvers for survival weapons over large capacity semi autos or double action revolvers and this is my reasoning for it.

Bluntforce
09-15-2010, 04:10 AM
I can not help you with the M6.

The Henry US Survival Rifle is a bit of a disappointment. The Charter Arms version as well as the Armalite version were supposed to be able to float fully assembled w/o the but plate in place. The Henry does not float unless the but plate is taped to trap the air in it.

The stock is uncomfortably fat, the barrel is non-confidence inspiringly thin and fragile feeling/looking and the sights suck. It comes with the flippable sight plate set on the tiny target aperture instead of the practical and visible game setting. The extra mag uncomfortably pushes into the shoulder through the plate if you leave it in its slot.

Last week an older gentleman bought one through my dealer and was so disappointed he sold it back to my dealer for $50 because the feel was so bad for him.

If you like the feel of the Henry US Survival Rifle, then go for it.

If you can, try one out thoroughly first.

Bluedog
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Ar M6s even available? If so, where? Right now I just have a Spikes .22 upper, but I intend to get a Henry soon for doing things the Ar CANNOT DO. If I can get and M6, I'll do that too. I also intend to put a magnum springer air gun back in the battery.

I used to shoot airguns in my basement 10 meter range. I quit after my daughter was born because the pellets would litterally disintergrate to nothing often times. All that lead had to be going somewhere. I do however believe that an airgun is a viable choice for long term use.

Charliebravo
09-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I've got an old Marlin bolt action fed by a 7 round detachable magazine. I've had it since I was 11 and have never had a malfunction. Although I like the 10/22, there's just more that can go wrong. The old Marlin has a perfect reliability record.

abpt1
09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
IDK but my 10/22 has never been cleaned and its around 3000rds I brushed the barrel once to clean out the gunk and shoot some clp in the action now and then but have not had the receiver apart yet ...never had a FTF or FTE ...

O.S.O.K.
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I've read nothing but "they are really picky about ammo" on those two - even when somebody likes thiers, they say they stick with X brand only... not too good for a survival gun.

I second the 10-22 - you can break em down pretty easy or just get a folder...

Or better yet, a Ruger MkII or III or similar pistol - even more compact and very reliable.

El Jefe
09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Thus far I have a Ruger 10-22, a Marlin 60, and a Beretta pistol. Soon we'll have a Henry lever gun and probably a couple or 3 Marlin bolt action 22's. I'd also like to get at least two rifles in 22 mag, probably in bolt action too.

Bluntforce
09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I intend to get a Henry soon for doing things the Ar CANNOT DO.

Would you elaborate?

O.S.O.K.
09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I believe that the Henry's (which are great leverguns) can handle just about any type of .22 rimfire - shorts, longs and long rifles where as the AR types are very finicky - and LR only.

The levergun also will "cycle" with any type of ammo - doesn't require a certain level of pressure to work.

And the levergun holds more rounds in the mag.

There may be more...

Richard Simmons
09-17-2010, 12:26 PM
If you really want to go the combo gun route I'd suggest an older model Savage over and under. IIRC you could get several combinations such as .22lr/410, 22 Hornet or 223/20ga, etc.

My personal choice would be my Remington Nylon 66, sure it's tube fed but the tube is completely protected and there are no magazines to loose, plus I can get it wet and not worry about the stock warping. For a handgun I'd opt for my S&W K-22 Target Masterpiece or a Ruger Single-Six convertible .22/.22Mag (again, no mags to loose).

ubersoldate
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Ruger mk III hunter with a small lil scope...

El Jefe
09-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Another interesting option........

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp

American Rage
09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
ruger 10/22 and ruger mkII

Rage

HDR
09-18-2010, 06:39 AM
As it does everything a 22 is supposed to do quite well my 1971 Rem pump with a Jap made Tasco would work quite well for survival. ... As the more specialized a tool becomes also lessens their ability to be a jack of all trades; firearms are no different than any tool.

O.S.O.K.
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Another interesting option........

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp

Yeah, that is interesting...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/zoom_70PSS.jpg

I wonder how it shoots and how reliable it is - ammo sensitive?

arcangel
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Only .22 I have is a GSG-5 at the moment, I like how the stock can be removed for storage, but cant use without the stock. Id rather use a .22 bolt or a pistol of some kind like the Ruger Mk series for survival.

El Jefe
09-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that is interesting...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/zoom_70PSS.jpg

I wonder how it shoots and how reliable it is - ammo sensitive?

I'll say this, I have both a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10-22. Of the two the Marlin is a little easier to take down and clean, and is also less fussy about ammo. I loaded up a few years ago when Walmart had Federal value paks on sale for cheap. Of my three 22's, the Marlin 60 rifle, and my Beretta pistol, will shoot that stuff all day long, whereas the 10-22 becomes a jamb-o-matic with it. Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, but I think the Model 60 is just as good a gun as the 10-22, and I personally prefer the 60.

:2cents:

HDR
09-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Only .22 I have is a GSG-5 at the moment, I like how the stock can be removed for storage, but cant use without the stock.

As I'd use a sling or strap it to the pack frame a stock isn't a deal breaker. Plus, as I have food and supplies I am not leaving here.

Id rather use a .22 bolt or a pistol of some kind like the Ruger Mk series for survival.

I have an old MK I bbl which is a decent pistol to keep the pot filled.

old Grump
09-18-2010, 06:28 PM
I'll say this, I have both a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10-22. Of the two the Marlin is a little easier to take down and clean, and is also less fussy about ammo. I loaded up a few years ago when Walmart had Federal value paks on sale for cheap. Of my three 22's, the Marlin 60 rifle, and my Beretta pistol, will shoot that stuff all day long, whereas the 10-22 becomes a jamb-o-matic with it. Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, but I think the Model 60 is just as good a gun as the 10-22, and I personally prefer the 60.

:2cents:Wash your mouth out with soap boy. I'm the dummy that bought a 10/22 with a target bull barrel and then proceeded to drop over a grand looking for the magic bullet that would make it a super duper match winner. 10 years later I find it likes Remington Golden bullets, Winchester Super X and CCI mini mags better than the high dollar stuff and that my 1964 model Marlin 60 shoots within a point of the Ruger at all ranges from 50' to 100 yards with nearly any ammo I stick in it except for those Gosh awful Remington Yellow Jackets and the CCI stingers. Neither gun likes those.

El Jefe
09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Wash your mouth out with soap boy. I'm the dummy that bought a 10/22 with a target bull barrel and then proceeded to drop over a grand looking for the magic bullet that would make it a super duper match winner. 10 years later I find it likes Remington Golden bullets, Winchester Super X and CCI mini mags better than the high dollar stuff and that my 1964 model Marlin 60 shoots within a point of the Ruger at all ranges from 50' to 100 yards with nearly any ammo I stick in it except for those Gosh awful Remington Yellow Jackets and the CCI stingers. Neither gun likes those.

:tongue: Yeah I've had issues with the stingers too, I guess they're just crap. Another nice thing about the 60 is that you can find them used for cheap! I'm kicking myself for passing on one that was selling at Boggs Creek about a year ago for $75.00 Should have grab that one.

Partisan1983
09-19-2010, 07:06 AM
I don't even know all the different .22's my family has. I competed in small bore competitions and so did my brother, my mother and my father. Lord knows how many the In-Laws have.

I personally own a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin lever action (don't know what model...I've only had it out once).

FWIW
I've had the 10/22 out many, many times. Mine sure is ammo picky. I've had failure's to extract and failure's to eject (it pulled the empty out of the chamber at least). And in case anyone was wondering, I was not using any aftermarket mags, all I have are factory 10rders.

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 09:47 AM
FWIW
I've had the 10/22 out many, many times. Mine sure is ammo picky. I've had failure's to extract and failure's to eject (it pulled the empty out of the chamber at least). And in case anyone was wondering, I was not using any aftermarket mags, all I have are factory 10rders.

This sounds right, or at least it's parallel to my experience with my son's 3 year old 10-22. I'm not sure why this gun is so picky, it seems to hate HP's, or any bulk buy rounds. And it certainly isn't due to maintenance since we do a complete take down and thorough cleaning after each outing.

Also since dependability is paramount in a "survival" situation, I'm thinking we need a couple lever or bolt guns in the 22 arsenal as well.

HDR
09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
This sounds right, or at least it's parallel to my experience with my son's 3 year old 10-22. I'm not sure why this gun is so picky, it seems to hate HP's, or any bulk buy rounds.

Do any of the 10/22 smiths modify the ramp etc for more reliable feeding?

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Do any of the 10/22 smiths modify the ramp etc for more reliable feeding?

I'm beginning to wonder if the rotary mag isn't the culprit. I've not done anything more with them than giving them a blast of compressed air and wiping the feed lips with a rag.

Anyone ever disassembled one of these?

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if the rotary mag isn't the culprit. I've not done anything more with them than giving them a blast of compressed air and wiping the feed lips with a rag.

Yes I have and not fun putting it back together. Took me several tries before I got it right.

I have had some issues with the newer 10rd mags and zero issues with the 25rd mags or the original mag.

Blacksmith
09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Out of your choices.
If you can find an M6 you should go that rout.
but unless Springfield has started making them again, good luck
finding one for sale.

Personally I have had really good luck with my 10-22.
Out of them all, I would take it without question.

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Yes I have and not fun putting it back together.Took me several tries before I got it right.

I have had some issues with the newer 10rd mags and zero issues with the 25rd mags or the original mag.

All we have is two of the 10 round rotary jobs. When you disassembled yours what was the biggest issue getting it back together properly?

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 11:07 AM
All we have is two of the 10 round rotary jobs. When you disassembled yours what was the biggest issue getting it back together properly?

Getting the spring tightened right.

HDR
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Any kind of misalignment between the feed to the ramp would cause malfunctions.

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Getting the spring tightened right.

Know of any info on that? I don't think the Ruger manual says anything about it. Geeze. :embarrassed:

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Know of any info on that? I don't think the Ruger manual says anything about it. Geeze. :embarrassed:

It was all trial and error for me.Lots of cussing and I swore never to do it again once I got it back together.

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 11:38 AM
It was all trial and error for me.Lots of cussing and I swore never to do it again once I got it back together.

Look what I found........... http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/2009/04/disassembling-cleaning-and-reassembling.html

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Look what I found........... http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/2009/04/disassembling-cleaning-and-reassembling.html

Well shit!If I had that years ago when I took mine apart I would not have cussed so much.Mine from the factory was never tight.But after I took it apart and jacked with with it for hours I finally got it back together and working better than ever.

Edit:I have spare rotary mag that needs a spring,I was given the mag for spare parts.I guess I can order another spring and try to put it back together.

El Jefe
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm going to give this a shot sometime this week. It'll be interesting to see if it helps the rifle feed ammo better. I've not paid much attention to the feed deal on the mag, might not hurt to polish it up a bit.

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm going to give this a shot sometime this week. It'll be interesting to see if it helps the rifle feed ammo better. I've not paid much attention to the feed deal on the mag, might not hurt to polish it up a bit.

I'm trying to find a spring now for this spare and try to fix it lol.

Bluntforce
09-19-2010, 11:15 PM
I believe that the Henry's (which are great leverguns) can handle just about any type of .22 rimfire - shorts, longs and long rifles where as the AR types are very finicky - and LR only.

The levergun also will "cycle" with any type of ammo - doesn't require a certain level of pressure to work.

And the levergun holds more rounds in the mag.

There may be more...

I thought he was talking about the Henry US Survival Rifle.

Bluntforce
09-19-2010, 11:19 PM

My 10/22 has never had a problem with bulk bought Federal 36 grn. HPs. I never used the 10 rnd rotary mag. I used 50 rnd. 'teardrop' wind-up mags, no problem and 50 rnd. Ramline curved mags with the the roll out springs that roll up and down along one side of the mag body and 'roll-up' as the follower rises.

El Jefe
09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Went and looked at the Henry again today, nice gun for the money IMO. I also looked at a Savage bolt action 22 that was quite inexpensive, but I wasn't real impressed with it. It didn't cycle well and just seemed cheap.

Meat-Hook
09-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Ive got a Ruger Mark III Hunter, 6" barrel stainless with cocobolo grips. Ruger single Six revolver with 4" barrel and a Ruger 10-22.

I would still like to get a Papoose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FgaIb66bM

O.S.O.K.
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM
My 10-22 has been very reliable in spite of multiple "mods" to it. It does stovepipe now and then but not continually and I think its a function of the ammo. But its not what I would call picky in any way really. Shoots everything I've put into it (no CB's or similar) of standard to HV loadings.

I don't understand why the Henry survival model and predescessors have such a problem with feeding and are so ammo sensitive - wierd. Must be a design flaw to have so many manufacturers screw it up - when they have very good quality guns otherwise....?

JTHunter
09-27-2010, 12:34 AM
My 10/22 has bee a little disappointing in its accuracy compared to my ~20 yo Marlin 881 bolt. I've had a few instances where the bolt didn't lock the new round, even fewer stovepipes, and (I think) one extraction problem.
Never had one problem with the 881 except some "FtF" but most would fire if I rotated the round and had the pin hit a different spot.
I also have a Ruger Convertible, which is one of the reasons I got a Marlin 983 .22 Mag bolt earlier this year (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/983.asp). This gives me 4 guns with two ammos good for hunting AND defense (at close range).

American Rage
09-27-2010, 06:57 PM
ruger 10/22 and ruger mkII

Rage

UPDATE!

I purchase a scope and some rings for the 10/22.

I'm happy.

Rage

El Jefe
09-27-2010, 07:54 PM
UPDATE!

I purchase a scope and some rings for the 10/22.

I'm happy.

Rage

I put a cheap BSA scope on the boys 10-22, and my eldest boy was getting tight groups at 50 yards with it. He's pretty happy with it. We'll see how he does at a 100 yards next time. :)

American Rage
09-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I put a cheap BSA scope on the boys 10-22, and my eldest boy was getting tight groups at 50 yards with it. He's pretty happy with it. We'll see how he does at a 100 yards next time. :)

Hey, that's what I got!

"Sweet 22" Model in fact

Rage

El Jefe
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey, that's what I got!

"Sweet 22" Model in fact

Rage

I'm not sure about this one. I got it at Wally's. Next time it's out I'll look. Thus far it's working well and has maintained it's adjustment.

American Rage
09-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure about this one. I got it at Wally's. Next time it's out I'll look. Thus far it's working well and has maintained it's adjustment.

good to hear

rage

binky59
04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a S&W M&P 15/22 as a primary and a savage 6a tube feeder for backup, use CCI stingers.

romak10/63UF
04-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Ruger 10-22 with a butler creek side folder stock. 4 , 25 round butler creek 25 round clip togethor .... Now for my hand gun of choice... lol the famous the sexy the " Jennings J-22 " lmao :laugh:

p.s. CCI 22lr or Win SuperX ammo only.

O.S.O.K.
04-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I would go with a 10-22 with folder or just remove the action from the stock for packing... easy to do. I would pick this over any of the survival type rifles.

Or, make it real easy on yourself and pack a long-barreled Ruger MkII or III.

Want a "premium" survival .22 set-up? Have the pistol barrel fitted for a superssor and have one set. I'd match it to an AR and have my rifle/pistol combo set.

Viking350
04-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I've read nothing but "they are really picky about ammo" on those two - even when somebody likes thiers, they say they stick with X brand only... not too good for a survival gun.

I second the 10-22 - you can break em down pretty easy or just get a folder...

Or better yet, a Ruger MkII or III or similar pistol - even more compact and very reliable.

I have a 10/22 and a Mark I bull barrel I bought years ago.

BigDumbGerman
05-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd like to have an M6, but can't find one in .22LR/.410 for under about $750.

I have a Ruger 10/22 with a Choate side-folding stock, M16-style sights and a 16 inch barrel threaded for my GemTec Outback II. It's light and handy and fairly compact when folded.

I have a Romanian M69 trainer also threaded to take the GemTec. It's a tack-driver.

Not sure which one I'd pick. The 10/22 has a lot of decent high capacity mags available for cheap. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it's a factor. The Romanian has an edge in simplicity and accuracy and even though they're only 5 rounds, I have lots of spare mags.

Up in the air at this point.

BDG

recon
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTizq4NCto&feature=player_embedded

AKTexas
05-05-2011, 05:06 AM
I'd like to have an M6, but can't find one in .22LR/.410 for under about $750.

I have a Ruger 10/22 with a Choate side-folding stock, M16-style sights and a 16 inch barrel threaded for my GemTec Outback II. It's light and handy and fairly compact when folded.

I have a Romanian M69 trainer also threaded to take the GemTec. It's a tack-driver.

Not sure which one I'd pick. The 10/22 has a lot of decent high capacity mags available for cheap. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it's a factor. The Romanian has an edge in simplicity and accuracy and even though they're only 5 rounds, I have lots of spare mags.

Up in the air at this point.

BDG

I wanted one of those when I was a kid. Shot one as an adult and did not care for it. Still on my list of firearms I'd like to own. Recently saw a stainless model and one in 22 Hornet/410. Both were well over 700.00 for them.

Klawndyke
05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Still looking for the right scope

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/rugerbc.JPG

Schuetzenman
05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/small_suppressed_22_lr_side_view.jpg
Suppressed and 27 rounds worth per mag.