PDA

View Full Version : Damaged receiver?

ROMAK100
06-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Had my AK apart for cleaning and when I put the selector lever back on I couldn't get it to go forward, forgot to pull the trigger while doing this and instead took a screw drive and tried to push the hammer to the side a bit so the selector lever would clear it.

Put a bit of force on the receiver from the angle I was using the screwdriver and noticed the right side of the AK receiver flexing as I was doing this, ie I could see the sheet metal actually move outward and flex back inward a little bit (under quarter inch)

Could I have damaged the receiver??? Would this cause the receiver to fail or anything like that?

I can't take it to the range at the moment but I put a mag in it and cycled to see if it chambered and ejects and it does.

Anything to worry about???

deth502
06-07-2013, 04:36 PM
possibly, possibly not.

it is an ak. they aint space shuttles, "close enough" were the only tolerances kept on them.

1- dont do that again.

2- as long as nothing was permanently disfigured (bent/cracked, ect) you should be ok.

what i probably would do, if it were me, would be o remove the fcg to make sure nothing is messed up.

Partisan1983
06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
WELCOME!!!! :cool1:

deth pretty much nailed it.

Hope to see more posts from you.

slamfire51
06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
:welcome: ROMAK100

I also agree w/ deth.
Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

imanaknut
06-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Belated welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

As said above, as long as you didn't cause any visible cracks or a permanent bend, I wouldn't worry about it. You would not believe how much an AKM variant flexes when it fires. It almost looks like rubber.

silentkilla
06-09-2013, 03:55 PM
welcome to the group!

Schuetzenman
06-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Did you damage anything, if it doesn't look damaged it probably isn't. Just don't do THAT again and lastly welcome to Gunsnet.

abpt1
06-11-2013, 08:26 PM
possibly, possibly not.

it is an ak. they aint space shuttles, "close enough" were the only tolerances kept on them.

1- dont do that again.

2- as long as nothing was permanently disfigured (bent/cracked, ect) you should be ok.

what i probably would do, if it were me, would be o remove the fcg to make sure nothing is messed up.

this and

I have done that too if it still shoots ok its fine..... Worst case it starts jamming then take a BFH and wack the shit out of the bent side ..