PDA

View Full Version : Found a gun today at a Texas farm...

linx310
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Found at a friends place today while clearing out some brush....

Any idea what it is?

It is single action and when I pull the trigger the hammer still works. If I can find out what it is I am gonna get a cylinder for it.

Only markings I could find where some type of serial # on the barrel.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x222/linx310/guns/p1.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x222/linx310/guns/p2.jpg

Prometheus168
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Its a pistol... that much I have determined...... other than that, it looks like a Colt......

Rusty

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it damn sure looks like something Hondo owned at one time or another.

AK-J
07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Looks like a remington cap and ball revolver.. minus the cylinder and ram-rod assembly

linx310
07-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Found out what it is...its a Whitney revolver. I found a few more markings that said N. Haven and looked it up. They were made from the late 1850s to early 1860s and they did serve during the civil war.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/whitney-revolver/whitney-revolver-4.jpg

alismith
07-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Check out Dixie Gun works for more info and parts. They have a lot of parts for obsolete BP firearms.

http://www.dixiegun.com/

Vorkutinetz
07-16-2010, 11:22 PM
cool find, man. Nice.

AKTexas
07-16-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it damn sure looks like something Hondo owned at one time or another.

:laugh:

gpwasr10
07-17-2010, 02:15 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH, this place is the fucking greatest

Maser**
07-17-2010, 02:47 AM
I hope you turn that over to the proper authorities.

Prometheus168
07-17-2010, 02:48 AM

And who would that be?

Rusty

mriddick
07-17-2010, 05:16 AM
Does the action still work? That is a very neat find and not in too bad of shape. I wonder if it's been outside long? Since you can see the serial number you might ask the local LEO's to run it.

skorpion
07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Sure, Maser, if you are so worried about it you can go ahead and dig up the grave of a 19th century law enforcement officer, inform him that the rusty frame of a mid-1800s blackpowder single-action revolver was found on a farm, and hand it over to him. These nasty baby-killing assault blackpowder single-actions are being used thousands of times per day on horse-back ride-by shootings and we don't need these out on the dirt streets. I found a squirt gun once, I guess I should have handed it over to the water gun police.

With that said, interesting piece of history you found there, Linx. Makes you wonder how long ago that revolver was forgotten and whether or not it was used in the Civil War at one point.

American Rage
07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Very cool, Linx310.

Rage

NAPOTS
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
For a troll you're not a very good one. You know you can get a reproduction shipped to your front door right?
Let me guess you are a member of the brady bunch that believes that all handguns should be registered if not banned outright.

shadow65
07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
That is sweet. You just can't help wondering about the history behind it.
I found an old bull barrel .22 rifle in my Grandmother's shed once. Had a new firing pin put in. Still works.
Dave

O.S.O.K.
07-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Its a Whitney :lol:

I knew it wasn't a Colt or a Remington but would've had to research it some to find the match. Well done.

And you can add Buffalo Arms to the list of parts sources. But Dixie probably has what you need.

Cool!

sevlex
07-17-2010, 02:54 PM
And who would that be?

Rusty

Me, of course. :naughty:

AKTexas
07-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Great find!Who was it that fished up a Mini-30?

dfariswheel
07-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Long, long ago, a lot of these "worthless" old guns were given to the kids to play with and they got lost in gardens and fields.
Generations later they turn up and make us wonder about the history they must have seen.

Being in Texas, I can pretty well guess that it didn't lay in some desk drawer when it was newer.

Ruskiegunlover
07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a few suspisions.......the wood looks really nice and solid, making me believe that it likely did not spend THAT long outside. Also, its like someone dissassembled it, and maybe scattered the parts. I do not believe that the cylinder and ramrod assembly just 'rusted' off, and went missing. Someone took it apart very rudementarily, and threw it out.

Doubt is was used in a crime.....

if it were rusted bad enough to account for the missing pieces, chances are the wood grips would be gone too. Also, I would think it would have a lot more rust on it than that......

mriddick
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a few suspisions.......the wood looks really nice and solid, making me believe that it likely did not spend THAT long outside. Also, its like someone dissassembled it, and maybe scattered the parts. I do not believe that the cylinder and ramrod assembly just 'rusted' off, and went missing. Someone took it apart very rudementarily, and threw it out.

if it were rusted bad enough to account for the missing pieces, chances are the wood grips would be gone too. Also, I would think it would have a lot more rust on it than that......

That was my thinking, look at the trigger guard for instance... One reason I suggested since it has a serial number running it through the police to see if it was more recently stolen.

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Its a pistol...

RustyActually, it's a revolver! LOL! ;) :p

AKTexas
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Etymology of "pistol"

Hand cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368).
The word "pistol" is derived from the French pistole (or pistolet), which has these possible origins:
From the Czech pistole and this one from the Czech píšťala (flute or pipe, referring to the shape of a Hussite firearm), from Middle High German pischulle or from Middle French pistole.
From the city of Pistoia, Italy, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s.[6]
That early pistols were carried by cavalry in holsters hung from the pommel (or pistallo in medieval French) of a horse's saddle.
Types of handguns

Revolver is just a type of pistol.

alismith
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM

When I was little, my dad gave me an old revolver to play with. He took the cylinder out and I never saw it. But, I didn't care. Maybe whoever had the one you found did the same thing for his kid. Since it was unshootable, he removed the cylinder and let his kid play with it and the kid lost it, or put it down and never came back for it.

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Etymology of "pistol"

Hand cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368).
The word "pistol" is derived from the French pistole (or pistolet), which has these possible origins:
From the Czech pistole and this one from the Czech píšťala (flute or pipe, referring to the shape of a Hussite firearm), from Middle High German pischulle or from Middle French pistole.
From the city of Pistoia, Italy, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s.[6]
That early pistols were carried by cavalry in holsters hung from the pommel (or pistallo in medieval French) of a horse's saddle.
Types of handguns

Revolver is just a type of pistol.LOL! :)

Actually, according to every firearm training class or course I have taken, they're all handguns, but only a revolver is a revolver. All other handguns are considered pistols, and revolvers considered revolvers. I actually laughed at the instructor when he corrected me. He wasn't pleased... :p

AKTexas
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
LOL! :)

Actually, according to every firearm training class or course I have taken, they're all handguns, but only a revolver is a revolver. All other handguns are considered pistols. I actually laughed at the instructor when he corrected me. He wasn't pleased... :p

Yeah my CHL instructor was saying the same thing. I grew up with the knowledge that pistols are handguns and handguns have various design categories.
Revolver,Semi auto, etc etc...So what would they say if you had a lever action pistol/handgun?Or a blackpowder single shot?