PDA

View Full Version : Gun safe in walkout basement?

Cypher
06-14-2013, 12:47 PM
I'm looking at moving into a modern house, less than 10 years old with a walkout basement. Is it safe to store a gun safe in a basement like this? Do I need to use a electronic dehumidifier, what about power loss and storms?

I haven't picked one out yet but we are going to be looking in the next year or so. I know to check things in the basement for water damage but most people with newer houses that I know have never had water problems in the basement providing drainage around the house is correct.

If it has a sump pit I will install a backup pump and attach them both to a battery backup.

Anything else I should look for to make sure it is safe, one of the last things I want is a rusted collection of guns :(

If it's not a good idea I will just install it in the master bedroom closet, and put my wife's shoes in the basement, LOL.

Richard Simmons
06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Don't have a safe there but my basement is dry and stays at a pretty constant temperature. Unless you have water coming up through the slab or through the foundation (those are problems in and of themselves that should be addressed before purchasing the home) you should be just fine.

Helen Keller
06-14-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd use a dry-rod regardless.

if you have the ceiling height, pour a thick slab and lag bolt your safe into it.

Partisan1983
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I have a walk out basement and that is where my safe is. We are on the top of a hill, so no need for a sump pump.

But due to the age of the house we have moisture issues and the fact I live in an area of the State that is either very hilly and very swampy in the low area's.

I have a descent sized dehumidifier that is plugged in. I made sure to get one that was rated for more SQ. FT. than what the basement is.

I also have a heating rod that is plugged in, inside the safe (but I am not sure it is working anymore).

I also have a desiccant thingy inside my safe as well and it is rated for an area 5 times the interior size of my safe.

My safe is also standing on 1 3/4" treated wood (for moisture)...so it is not directly touching the floor.

No rust problems....no humidity problems etc. etc.

I still am wanting to add a small fan somewhere that I can run 24/7.....to keep the air circulating.

rshaneck2002
06-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Drill and bolt it to the floor., then it will take a stick of dyno to get it out of your house, or a jack hammer

silentkilla
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Drill and bolt it to the floor., then it will take a stick of dyno to get it out of your house, or a jack hammer

what i would do if i were him is.. just like you are saying kinda.. get a couple 4x4's and cut them to the length of the bottom of your safe.. then purchase four 8 inch wedge anchors. drill the holes out in the 4x4's to match the bottom of your safe holes. lay the holes out on the floor were you are going to put your safe. hammer drill the holes out and set the anchor bolts. making sure to leave enough sticking up to set your 4x4's on and your safe. after that tighten up the nuts and the wedge anchors will set themselves. the 4x4's will set it high enough off the floor so you won't have to worry about moisture and after done it would take an act of congress to move your safe... good luck with it.

Partisan1983
06-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Due to my property and location....I have no need to drill my safe into the floor ;)

silentkilla
06-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Due to my property and location....I have no need to drill my safe into the floor ;)

yes me too! living in the country does have it's benifits!!

Full Otto
06-14-2013, 05:36 PM
If it's a walkout you shouldn't have any flooding problems just moisture and that might not be to bad. Being a walk out it should be airy enough unless that opening is the only one.
Good place for ammo down there if nothing else that's where mine is in sealed cans and cabinet no problems so far and I get bad seepage at times.
I just keep it off the floor

Cypher
06-15-2013, 04:03 PM
If I were to put plywood or 4x4 under it before bolting would that make it easier to pry up since the wood is softer?

Country homes get broken into too :)

silentkilla
06-15-2013, 04:48 PM
If I were to put plywood or 4x4 under it before bolting would that make it easier to pry up since the wood is softer?

Country homes get broken into too :)

not if you run your anchors through wood and safe together

Partisan1983
06-15-2013, 07:53 PM
My safe won't fit through the walk out door ;)

silentkilla
06-15-2013, 07:56 PM
My safe won't fit through the walk out door ;)

i bet it full of weighted objects to huh.......lol