PDA

View Full Version : Euro zone ministers to discuss bail-in rules in bank rescues

5.56NATO
06-19-2013, 05:09 PM
(Reuters) - Euro zone finance ministers will discuss on Thursday how to decide which creditors will lose money and in what order during future bank rescues by the bloc's bailout fund, the European Stability Mechanism.

They will consider four potential options that range from shielding depositors and senior bondholders to imposing losses on some of them.

The options are listed in a preliminary document "ESM direct recapitalisation - role of bail-in" prepared for the ministers for their discussion of guidelines on when the ESM can invest in a systemically important bank to save it from failure.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/uk-eurozone-esm-bailin-idUKBRE95G0NR20130617?feedType=RSS&feedName=businessNews

If you didn't know, a "bail-in" is where bank losses aren't paid by the bank, they're paid by those who have accounts at that bank. What this means is the bank can gamble and never lose, at least not its own money. This legislated crime will be applied to American banks I bet.

Oswald Bastable
06-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Why any bank in the EU still has depositor accounts is still a mystery to me, after Cyprus.

sevlex
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Why any bank in the EU still has depositor accounts is still a mystery to me, after Cyprus.

Normalcy Bias. People can't believe it will happen to them because it hasn't yet.

5.56NATO
06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Canada recently passed a constitutional provision where depositors will be forced to make good on bank losses by law.