PDA

View Full Version : 9 Year Old Finds Gun in Movie Theater Crapper

TEN-32
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
The link is an editorial written by Military Arms Channel. The police were painting the incident as reckless and negligent and criminal until it was discovered that the gun was left in the stall by a cop. What sayeth the brain trust?

http://www.thebangswitch.com/when-police-get-a-pass/

5.56NATO
06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
I say if I found a gun at 9 yrs old I wouldn't be telling anyone.

Krupski
06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
The link is an editorial written by Military Arms Channel. The police were painting the incident as reckless and negligent and criminal until it was discovered that the gun was left in the stall by a cop. What sayeth the brain trust?

http://www.thebangswitch.com/when-police-get-a-pass/

All I'll do is post a quote from the article:

Giving the police a pass for something any other citizen would be prosecuted for only serves to feed the growing distrust some folks have for police and government in general.

CigarGuy
06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I say, "Why always Tampa?"

Dan Morris
06-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I've known officers that have done this. We used a armed courier service for years, they were notorious for leaving side arms!
Dan

Schuetzenman
06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Now that the precedent of No charges for leaving your gun where a kid can find it" is established I will expect to hear of no charges should this happen to a civilian.

Penguin
06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
I didn't read the artical but, I am guessing from what has been posted here the kid did the right thing when he found it and told some one instead of playing with it.

As for leaving guns in the bathroom...

Well crap happens and I can see where it would be easy for some one to forget it. Does that mean it is ok to do that, no of course not. On the other hand I don't think the cops should have been freaking out quite as bad determined to nail some one to the wall for it. I am rather disgusted what when they found out it was a fellow cop that the back peddel and down play it. What ever the result of leaving the gun in the bathroom is it should be the same no matter who left it there. I have to agree with Krupski here, this only goes to feed distrust between the poeple and the police. What should be done when some on leaves there gun in the craper is a matter for debate I guess. I don't really know. I am of the opnion I guess that first time if nothing bad happens oh well you live and you learn. If you keep doing it though you have a real problem.

davepool
06-20-2013, 07:04 PM
I say if I found a gun at 9 yrs old I wouldn't be telling anyone.

Ditto.

I carry concealed all the time and i never forget where that gun is. I really have a hard time understanding how a cop could forget his gun in a toilet stall, maybe if he had to patrol the bad side of town for two weeks without his gun he wouldn't be so complacent.

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm sure he probably is the type to forget his head if it weren't screwed on, as someone who often finds my keys in the fridge I do sympathize.

Out of curiosity, you guys who do carry, do you often set your gun down on the toilet paper rack?

I'm wondering if that is common practice.

raxar
06-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Out of curiosity, you guys who do carry, do you often set your gun down on the toilet paper rack?

never, don't take the gun out until I go to bed

Gunner1558
06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Now that the president of No charges for leaving your gun where a kid can find it" is established I will expect to hear of no charges should this happen to a civilian.

I don't know if police officers can be used as a precedent.

Around here they break laws with seeming impunity.

Dr. Gonzo GED
06-20-2013, 08:03 PM
...as someone who often finds my keys in the fridge I do sympathize.

This explains quite a bit...

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
never, don't take the gun out until I go to bed

Not to be too personal but isn't it problematic in a public bathroom, doesn't it drag your belt down and may be visible by your neighbor?

Yes Gonzo, that's why my keys are always fresh! ;)

raxar
06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Not to be too personal but isn't it problematic in a public bathroom, doesn't it drag your belt down and may be visible by your neighbor?

not at all, as I pocket carry an NAA mini revolver with folding holster grip.

besides that I don't shit in public bathrooms

Krupski
06-20-2013, 08:26 PM
(1) I didn't read the article but, I am guessing from what has been posted here the kid did the right thing when he found it and told some one instead of playing with it.

(2) Well crap happens and I can see where it would be easy for some one to forget it. Does that mean it is ok to do that, no of course not.

(1) The kid absolutely did the right thing... didn't touch it and told his dad.

(2) If I'm taking a dump, the 1911 and gunbelt are around my ankles, as are the pants. It's never *removed*. When I'm done, both pants and gun belt go back where they belong.

I'll bet you that if the kid had NOT been taught what to do by his dad and if the kid played with the gun and it discharged (or God forbid he shot himself or someone), you and I would be charged with either "Negligent Homicide" or "Murder" or some other crime while a cop would get a paid vacation while "internal affairs" "determined" that they "found no wrongdoing".

Of course, that's how it works. For an extra piece of bread and sausage, the Sonderkommando gladly dragged the bodies of their own mothers, fathers, sons and daughters out of the gas chambers and into the ovens.

Krupski
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM

I avoid it whenever possible... but sometimes it's just not possible.....

Dr. Gonzo GED
06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes Gonzo, that's why my keys are always fresh! ;)
It's that little box of baking soda. No more onion odors in the leftovers!

Krupski
06-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm sure he probably is the type to forget his head if it weren't screwed on, as someone who often finds my keys in the fridge I do sympathize.

Never. (see a few posts up).

davepool
06-20-2013, 08:30 PM

I've done that if it's the box that hangs on the wall, or a coat hook through the trigger guard, or if neither is available i just hold it, you just have to be REAL careful which hand you wipe with :)

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 08:33 PM

Ahh, explains that.

Solves that as well.

Personally, so long as it's not in my pants, or in a crowd, I generally shit where I can when I have to ;)

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
I've done that if it's the box that hangs on the wall, or a coat hook through the trigger guard, or if neither is available i just hold it, you just have to be REAL careful which hand you wipe with :)

Lol, I guess you can't just tuck it under your pit like a newspaper

Krupski
06-20-2013, 08:37 PM

A .40 caliber enema! OMG!!!!!

TEN-32
06-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Double standard here is no good. Its either criminal or its not. Personally, I think its "no harm no foul" whether cop or not. My :2cents: which is worth what you paid. Dunno about all this Nazi stuff or how it relates...:conf44:

FunkyPertwee
06-20-2013, 09:42 PM

No, I use a shoulder rig.

Why don't you carry?

davepool
06-20-2013, 09:42 PM
A .40 caliber enema! OMG!!!!!

Well actually it's a glock 29, but yea a .40 cal

Penguin
06-20-2013, 09:58 PM

A good question. I carry all the time and here is how I go about things usually.

When I am conceled carrying I usually try not to use a public bathroom. Some times though that isn't posible and when you got to go you got to go as they say.

When taking a piss all things being equal I usually try to find an empty stall at the end and just take a leak. I just go and keep my gun on the belt and hold onto the end of my belt while going. It is a bit in the akward side but, you get used to it and after a while it is no big deal. It also helps if you loop the end of the belt back into the belt loop behind it. I tend to carry my gun about 4oclock though so that helps in keeping the gun from sliding off the belt and onto the ground. If you have to take a dump things get a bit trickier. Again I usually try to find a stall at the end so people are less likely to go by and notice your gun. In such cases I have taken the gun off the belt so people don't see it laying on the ground. Depending on the size of the TP roll holder you can set it on that. As well depending on the configuration of the toilet you can set the gun on the back of that. Another option is if they have the hook thing you can set the holster on that though the belt loops on the holster. If that doesn't work you can take your whole belt off and put the gun on that and hang the belt with the gun on it off something.

At work where I am not concel carring I just leave the gun on the belt. That way it is really hard to forget it.

Personally I am not prone to leaving my gun around and forgeting about it in bathrooms. Though we have since I have worked at my current job canned two employes for forgeting their gun in a bathroom. So it happens. I can see how how many times has some one set something down in their lives and forgoten about it. I have, I think we all have. It is just in this case it is a very serious thing to forget, that there isn't really a good excuse for.

Like I said it happens in this case I am glad no one got hurt.

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Why don't you carry?

I live in St. Louis, never any crime here.

Sorry, couldn't help it. ;)

Seriously though, first I tend to fidget with things, always messing with my keys, coins, pens, pocket knife. It's subconscious at this point. I figure I'm much more likely to put a bullet in my foot than in someone else. Second, haven't bothered to get the license...I guess unless/until I decide to carry I keep putting it off.

I think really though, the big thing is I just don't want to all that much. It's already a pain in the ass to carry a wallet, keys, phone, etc, I don't want to add a couple more pounds of awkwardness that might go off in my pocket/belt on the very very off chance something happens where I need one. Just not worth it to me at this point.

Just to head off any nonsense, yes I support the right to carry, I even think more people should, but I just chose not to at this time.

Thanks for the info Penguin

Krupski
06-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Double standard here is no good. Its either criminal or its not. Personally, I think its "no harm no foul" whether cop or not. My :2cents: which is worth what you paid. Dunno about all this Nazi stuff or how it relates...:conf44:

I mentioned "Sonderkommando" solely as an example of how you can get a group of people under control by giving them a few extras.

Couldn't think of a different example, else I would probably have used it instead.

Krupski
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
(1) I live in St. Louis, never any crime here.

(2) Seriously though, first I tend to fidget with things, always messing with my keys, coins, pens, pocket knife. It's subconscious at this point. I figure I'm much more likely to put a bullet in my foot than in someone else. Second, haven't bothered to get the license...

(3) I guess unless/until I decide to carry I keep putting it off.

(4) I don't want to add a couple more pounds of awkwardness that might go off in my pocket/belt...

(1) So then you don't wear a seatbelt or have car insurance because you never have an accident?

I live in a 1 square mile area, 99.9% white population. We have no crime (other than an occasional nasty neighbor yelling "get off the grass" at the kids). I still carry and quite a few others (14 to be exact) also carry ON MY STREET ALONE.

(2) Don't take this the wrong way... but do you own ANY guns? Have you ever fired any? It almost seems to me like the answer is "no".

It doesn't take long to burn the habit of "finger off the trigger" and "point it in a safe direction" into your head. Hell, I even find myself holding a soldering gun or electric drill with my index finger pointed off the trigger. It's just a habit. A person has to be rabidly stupid to shoot themselves. Yeah, I know there are people like that, but I don't figure you as one of them.

(3) If nothing else, you should get a CHL and a few pistols before some numbnuts in your state bans them. Better to say "come and take it" than "I can't buy it anymore".

(4) Guns don't just "go off" all by themselves. You have to load them, chamber them, cock them and pull the trigger. If you practice basic firearm handling safety rules, you will never have an accident.

Krupski
06-20-2013, 11:05 PM
It's that little box of baking soda. No more onion odors in the leftovers!:yeah:

Baking soda works wonders for a catbox too. Without it, the litter smells like Wolf rifle ammo......

Kadmos
06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
(1) So then you don't wear a seatbelt or have car insurance because you never have an accident?

I live in a 1 square mile area, 99.9% white population. We have no crime (other than an occasional nasty neighbor yelling "get off the grass" at the kids). I still carry and quite a few others (14 to be exact) also carry ON MY STREET ALONE.

(2) Don't take this the wrong way... but do you own ANY guns? Have you ever fired any? It almost seems to me like the answer is "no".

It doesn't take long to burn the habit of "finger off the trigger" and "point it in a safe direction" into your head. Hell, I even find myself holding a soldering gun or electric drill with my index finger pointed off the trigger. It's just a habit. A person has to be rabidly stupid to shoot themselves. Yeah, I know there are people like that, but I don't figure you as one of them.

(3) If nothing else, you should get a CHL and a few pistols before some numbnuts in your state bans them. Better to say "come and take it" than "I can't buy it anymore".

(4) Guns don't just "go off" all by themselves. You have to load them, chamber them, cock them and pull the trigger. If you practice basic firearm handling safety rules, you will never have an accident.

1. I have to have car insurance to register my car. But I would have it anyway, plus I wear my seat-belt.

Things can fall on your head....do you always wear a helmet?

The few times I at all needed a gun had one thing in common, I was at home. Had I been in the same situations but say, in a retail store, I would have simply left...or possibly even just laughed.

It's a simply matter of risk/reward. Usually nothing happens when I am out. If I am out, odds are I can simply leave the area.

2. Yep, I'm a gun owner. A very safe one. My guns are unloaded at home, taken to the range, loaded pointing downrange, fired, cleared, and put away facing downrange, brought back home, recleared, cleaned, and put away.

On a couple occasions I have taken one out at home when the need looked to be arising. It's my home, I won't just walk out the back and sneak away because someone may be trying to get in.

Honestly, I have no doubt that I *could* carry safely. I do tend to fidget with things, but would be way too aware I was carrying a gun to do that.

I think actually I would be so aware that it would make me more nervous rather than less, and I just don't want to live that way at this point.

I'm 40 years old, I've made it this far without carrying, without a pressing reason it's hard to want to put up with the hassle

Krupski
06-21-2013, 12:05 AM
I think actually I would be so aware that it would make me more nervous rather than less, and I just don't want to live that way at this point.

Well, that's your choice and I respect it. Nothing else I can say.

Kadmos
06-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Well, that's your choice and I respect it. Nothing else I can say.

It's cool. I respect the guys who chose to carry, it's just not for me right now.