PDA

View Full Version : Why I like/collect knives

Richard Simmons
06-22-2013, 08:16 AM
For me I guess it was just a natural extention of my firearms collecting. With guns I went through the milsurps and then revolvers and pistols. Mostly walnut and blued steel but eventually more tactical firearms like Glocks, etc.

As a young man growing up I usually had a pocket knife of some kind as well as a 3"-4" fixed blade for hunting. After enlisting in the Navy I started carrying and using a Buck 110 and or 112. Still not a "knifenut" but carrying and using one more.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I find myself with a pretty decent collection of firearms from a number of areas but mostly SW revolvers. Seems like the good old days of bargains and LNIB specimens is sunsetting and hunting the pawnshops and estate auctions isn't as productive as it used to be. This is when I started getting interested in knives. After spending some time on the various knife forums I started to appreciate the same things in knives as I had in my firearms. The use of various steels and woods, the classic designs as well as the modern tactical offerings just like with my S&W wheelguns and my Glocks, CZ, etc.

The main thing that jumped out at me was how much enjoyment knife collecting offered at a lower price point than my firearms collecting. Oh sure, you can shell out big money for a custom blade or even some production models but for the most part a finely engineered blade made from materials you like is attainable for a fraction of what a similar firearm would cost.

Collecting knives also afforded the same opportunity to research different designs, materials, makers, company histories, etc. Just like with my Milsurps or my classic wheelguns.

Another plus was that I can use my blades a lot more then I ever could my guns. No need to load up and head to the range with long cleaning periods afterwards.

In short I guess I've found that collecting knives offers me a lot of the same things I found pleasurable about collecting guns. It just costs less, (usually) takes up less room and you can use your collection on a daily basis.

So in closing, if you're a gun collector and feel like the good ole days of collecting have come and gone or you're just not enjoying it as much as you used to then take some time and visit this forum and others and check out some knives. You may just find that they offer that same pleasure of collecting that firearms used to. At the very least you gain some more knowledge about a tool most of us use on a daily basis and knowledge never hurts.

P.S. Be warned. One knife can turn into several hundred in a short period of time. Once you realize how much really nice stuff is out there at really decent prices as well as how much some of it increases in value you may find yourself addicted big time.