PDA

View Full Version : My friend Bob.

Faulkner
06-22-2013, 02:33 PM
My friend and neighbor, Bob, passed away. Some may recall that I posted about Bob giving me a USGI 1911A1 (link below).

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?19292-Faulkner-scores-WWII-1911A1

I believe that Bob, a Korean War veteran, was typical of many veterans of his generation. Typical in that they went when they were called, they did their duty, many experianced horrific things. When they came home, they put the war behind them best they could and helped build and support the largest peacetime economic expansion in our country's history.

I really enjoyed Bob's companionship. He went rabbit hunting with my son and I few weeks back and he even bagged a couple of cottontails with his Winchester Model 42 .410 pump, but mostly we watched my son work the beagles and we walked and talked and enjoyed the warm sun as it came up on that cold, frosty morning. Bob seldom talked about the war, but he made the comment on this morning that he had never been so cold as he was at times in Korea.

I asked him, "do you think about your time in Korea much?"

"I try not to,", he replied, "but sometimes things pop up that remind me of the good times and the bad times I experianced. There weren't that many good times over there, though."

Bob passed away in his sleep due to his heart problems. His loving wife of over 60 years called me first at about 5:00 AM and my wife and I came over immediately to help her. I called my boss, the county sheriff, and advised I would be taking off that day and why. I called the coroner, the local funeral home, and then called one of my buddies at the sheriff's office who leads the departments honor guard.

It was a little after 8:00 am when the funeral home was ready to take Bob away and by then a number of friends and neighbors had gathered outside. The sheriff's department's honor guard was also present in full Class 'A" uniform to present arms when Bob was transported from the house to the hearse. Bob's wife was standing between my wife and I with our arms around her with the first signs of tears in her eyes, leaned over to me and said, "I think Bob would have liked that."

(I've had to take a break in writing at this point)

Bob's only daughter, son-in-law, and two grand daughers live out of state and arrived late that evening. Next morning I went down to Bob's house to check on them and see if they needed anything. When I was invited in Bob's wife introducted me to his daughter who came up and hugged me tightly and said that Bob had spoken of me and my family many times. Since the weather was cooperating, I invited them to our house for lunch and I cooked out on the grill and we had a great time visiting and hearing stories about Bob in the times before I'd come to know him.

On the day before the funeral I reached out to the representative from the US Army's honor guard who would be at the funeral. I had a request to make and was not sure if they would be receptive or not. Turns out, there was no problem in my request . . . I asked them if they would use USGI M1 carbines from my collection for the 21 gun salute. I advised them I would provide the guns and the blank ammunition. It was a small thing, but I was very proud to have some of the veteran arms from my collection used one more time in the service of their country, if only to honor a war veteran at his final resting place.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/6541000/25534171.jpg

O.S.O.K.
06-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Very good of you. Bob would like that too I am sure.

I had a friend that was a WWII veteran - Marine. He was in at the end of war - island hopping campaign against the Japs - and we all know how that was.

It really hurt when he died. He was such a rascal - he had me believing that he was a Korean vet so that I would think he was younger than he was. He never would talk of his time in the service. He worked for my sales broker in Texas where I lived at the time and he was the best salesman I've ever known. A real pro. His customers absolutely loved the man. I thoroughly enjoyed working with him and learned a lot from him.

In the years just prior to him passing, I had to move away from his brokerage to another (this happens...) and didn't get to work with or see him much. Being the way he was, he never called me to let me know he was ill and so it came as a surprise to me when he passed. I felt very bad about that. I really would have liked to go see him a few times...

I learned of his actual service from his family at the funeral... there was a memorial presentation. I still think about Tom from time to time and still miss him.

Prayers up for Bob. May he rest in peace.

mrkalashnikov
06-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Sounds like Bob was a lucky man to have a friend like you, and you him.

RIP, Soldier

El Duce
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
That is very touching. You are a good Man Faulkner. RIP Bob.

1 Patriot-of-many
06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Some people go above and beyond. Bob did and you do. Story made my eyes misty, guess I'm getting to be a softy. Sad to see these generations passing. I don't believe the next generation gives a rip or will remember.

Richard Simmons
06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
You should be proud of yourself Faulkner. You are/were a good friend and went the extra mile to honor a veteran and his service to our country. Thank you.

Schuetzenman
06-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Some people go above and beyond. Bob did and you do. Story made my eyes misty, guess I'm getting to be a softy. Sad to see these generations passing. I don't believe the next generation gives a rip or will remember.

I have to say it got to me as well. God speed Bob.

El Jefe
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Thats pretty damned cool right there. You know Bob is smiling. :thumbsup:

silentkilla
06-22-2013, 04:48 PM
SEMPER FI MARINE and god speed.

slamfire51
06-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Bob, RIP.
God speed.

rshaneck2002
06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
From one vet to another Bob a very, very warm salute.,

Faulkner
06-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I had a chance to visit with Bob's daughter one on one the day after the funeral and I told her about the 1911A1 that Bob had given me a while back and how it was his sidearm when he was a MP in the Army. It was my intent to give it back to her so it could stay in the family, but before I could finish she said;

"Dad had written me about giving the gun to you after he did it. It was his to give and it seemed important to him that he give it to you. I would not take it back in a million years."

"It meant a lot to me, him giving it to me and all," I told her.

"Good," she said, "because it would not have meant that much to me. We have other memories of and with him. By the way, we have one more thing we want you to have. . . actually, not you, but your son. Momma wants your son to have Dad's shotgun. The little one that he hunted rabbits with . . . . "

It's a 1953 Winchester model 42 .410 shotgun that Bob's widow gave to my son. It's currently his prized possession, I think he would sleep with it if I’d let him.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/5865076/406516008.jpg

silentkilla
06-22-2013, 08:23 PM
I had a chance to visit with Bob's daughter one on one the day after the funeral and I told her about the 1911A1 that Bob had given me a while back and how it was his sidearm when he was a MP in the Army. It was my intent to give it back to her so it could stay in the family, but before I could finish she said;

"Dad had written me about giving the gun to you after he did it. It was his to give and it seemed important to him that he give it to you. I would not take it back in a million years."

"It meant a lot to me, him giving it to me and all," I told her.

"Good," she said, "because it would not have meant that much to me. We have other memories of and with him. By the way, we have one more thing we want you to have. . . actually, not you, but your son. Momma wants your son to have Dad's shotgun. The little one that he hunted rabbits with . . . . "

It's a 1953 Winchester model 42 .410 shotgun that Bob's widow gave to my son. It's currently his prized possession, I think he would sleep with it if I’d let him.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/5865076/406516008.jpg

you seem like quiet a good friend and man. may you live long and prosper brother.

El Duce
06-22-2013, 08:40 PM
May your son have many happy memories with the .410. And tell his Grandson about the gun, and a Man named Bob.

5.56NATO
06-22-2013, 09:05 PM
You are a good friend.

T2K
06-22-2013, 10:18 PM
This story exemplifies numerous good values on the part of several people. Thanks for sharing, it's so easy to get caught up in the negative stuff sometimes.

Gunner1558
06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Well Done Faulkner!

I'm sure that Bob was smiling at the things you had arranged for him.

RIP Bob.