PDA

View Full Version : He Did What Evil Knievel Couldn't

slamfire51
06-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Daredevil Nik Wallenda did what Evil Knievel couldn't. Crossed the Grand Canyon.

http://news.sky.com/story/1107343/grand-canyon-crossed-by-tightrope-walker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=llzIVDbvSAc

Goodman
06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
True, but Knievel never tried to cross the Grand Canyon- that was the Snake River canyon. Philippe Petit (the Twin Towers high wire walker) tried to make a crossing at the same spot as Wallenda but never managed to follow through. I think Wallenda said they removed some of Petit's rigging in their preparation for yesterday's walk.
Amazing stuff anyway. In this jaded age of instant communication it was still breathtaking to watch. 23 minutes at 1500' above the canyon floor....he's got big brass ones!

slamfire51
06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
True, but Knievel never tried to cross the Grand Canyon- that was the Snake River canyon. Philippe Petit (the Twin Towers high wire walker) tried to make a crossing at the same spot as Wallenda but never managed to follow through. I think Wallenda said they removed some of Petit's rigging in their preparation for yesterday's walk.
Amazing stuff anyway. In this jaded age of instant communication it was still breathtaking to watch. 23 minutes at 1500' above the canyon floor....he's got big brass ones!

Snake River canyon or a mud puddle, he wouldn't have made it regardless. I actually paid to watch him attempt the jump at a pay per view venue. Biggest waste of my $$ yet.

sevlex
06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
The tightwire walk was amazing but it was not "across" the Grand Canyon. It was a side canyon on the Navajo reservation. To honestly call it a traverse of the GC you need to cross the Colorado River.

Goodman
06-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Snake River canyon or a mud puddle, he wouldn't have made it regardless. I actually paid to watch him attempt the jump at a pay per view venue. Biggest waste of my $$ yet.

Well.....you can actually get a little excitement for free at that same place today. BASE jumpers go off the Perrine bridge there on any given day of the year.
Probably not much consolation ...!