PDA

View Full Version : My Father Flor de las Antillas Churchill

TEN-32
06-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I was rummaging through the humidor for a smoke and this one caught my eye. I could have sworn Jefferson posted about this one but I couldn't find it. Not to be confused with the My Father Le Bijou 1922. I think you said one of these would benefit from some age...? This is a big cigar, 6.5x56. Toro Gordro is the official designation. This is the big brother to the CA cigar of the year for 2012 which is a 5.5x52 Bellicoso. The thing is constructed flawlessly, the wrap does have one or two veins and is medium brown. This cigar is box pressed which I like, but not square, sort of a soft rectangle with rounded corners. Strength is mild-medium. The draw is very effortless. I hate a cigar that you have to work at. Flavor to me is hay, slight spice. I paired with Greenore single grain Irish whiskey. All in all a very good cigar and one I would buy in the future. Thanks for turning me on to these Jefferson!
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/4365/7xg4.jpg

El Jefe
06-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Oh hey, nice pairing. Just got a fiver of these in this week, gonna sit on em awhile. ;)

Glad you enjoyed it, Bro.

CigarGuy
06-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Had one while on holiday, as I found it in the shop we visited.
You said the draw was "very effortless". Did you find it TOO easy?
Mine "felt" light and the draw was too easy. Like it was underfilled.
It IS a fine line to find that sweet spot in the draw?!

TEN-32
06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Had one while on holiday, as I found it in the shop we visited.
You said the draw was "very effortless". Did you find it TOO easy?
Mine "felt" light and the draw was too easy. Like it was underfilled.
It IS a fine line to find that sweet spot in the draw?!

Yes, I noted the fact that this was an "airweight". I couldn't find fault with the construction. The ash was tight. Must be made from the new alloy tobacco...:think::cool:

As far as draw I'm not sure what to say. Too light? No. Not in my opinion. Produced plenty of smoke.

CigarGuy
06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I need to try another then. Was kinda surprised because Pepin's stuff is usually spot on.
And an easy draw IS easier to deal with then a tight one!(DRAW that is! ;) )

El Jefe
06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
I need to try another then. Was kinda surprised because Pepin's stuff is usually spot on.
And an easy draw IS easier to deal with then a tight one!(DRAW that is! ;) )

I've not noticed any construction issues with these, but, I have noticed the flavor level is all over the place. Not very consistent at all.

My theory is that after being named cigar of the year, the demand was overwhelming and they started drawing leaf from larger stocks, not all of which is of the same quality.