PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Smokes

TEN-32
06-29-2013, 07:24 AM
We have a ton of threads about high end Cubans. This is going the other direction. Sometimes you want a less expensive cigar, but one that still satisfies. Maybe its a golf outing or bbq or day at the range...whatever. My "daily" smoke is from the factory that produces Punch, Excalibur, El Rey Del Mundo, and Hoyo de Monterrey in Honduras. These are overruns and seconds. I have yet to find a reason they were classified as seconds. At $2 a stick I really like these. Here is a Pyramid #84 maduro, basically a 6.12x54 torpedo. Damn good cigar and superior to many that I've paid much more for. Heres a pic of the one I'm enjoying this morning. You can see a bit of inconsistency in the shade of the wrapper, otherwise perfect.
Your thoughts?
http://imageshack.us/a/img46/7797/42wl.jpg

CigarGuy
06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
I've found I prefer the flavour of Nic Puro's over Hondurans and, yes, even Habanos.
I'm getting a lot of AJ Fernandez' stuff(San Lotano, Man O War, Diesel) for under $3,
albeit it in smaller vitola's I prefer.

El Jefe
06-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes, one should always have on hand some yard-gars. :)

Got a 10'er of these coming at a nice price. Good stick too.

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1509774

CigarGuy
06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
BAM! Smoking the Virtue in a Lonsdale size right now. Beautiful "first cigar of
the day" for my heavy palate. Always have these on hand. Getting 5ers for
$17, give or take.

El Jefe
06-29-2013, 09:48 AM
BAM! Smoking the Virtue in a Lonsdale size right now. Beautiful "first cigar of
the day" for my heavy palate. Always have these on hand. Getting 5ers for
$17, give or take.

Bigger ones usually go in the $3.50 to $4 range. So far I've got the torpedo's coming and I might have one of the Churchill's left, I'm not sure.

Anyway, they are very good. They remind me a lot of a Gispert, with just a hint of white pepper.

TEN-32
06-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm gonna toss a few of these in the box for you guys to try...not as part of the pass, just bonus materials. :biggrina:

El Jefe
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm gonna toss a few of these in the box for you guys to try...not as part of the pass, just bonus materials. :biggrina:

Matt, you shared one of these with me when you sent the bomb. It makes sense now knowing what factory they hale from because the standard Hoyo's is what I thought of when smoking it. First half worked well but it did suffer from some construction issues toward then. Good smoke tho.