PDA

View Full Version : New to me WASR 10/63

jrak27
06-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi everyone, I just got me a wasr 10/63. Its not the best looking, but she'll do. When I figure out how to post pictures I will! I had some questions about it. Like does the 63 in the wasr 10/63 meaning anything at all? Also It came with a ak 74 style muzzle brake and I have a feeling its not the correct thread, mostly because it screws on two turns then just becomes to hard to turn by hand. And yes I know its left handed, I guess my question is how many different threads do ak's come with? I thought 14 x1 LH was pretty standard but guess I was wrong. Thanks

Kevlar
06-29-2013, 12:05 PM
There are several AK experts on this site, so correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the 10/63 means that it is a post ban imported with 10 rnd single stack reciever while the parts kit is surplus from 1963. Congrats on the purchase. The muzz brake issue could be the previous owners failed attempt at threadin the barrel himself....

jrak27
06-29-2013, 12:28 PM
See that's what I thought, but its double stacked could of been milled out don't know. But the muzzle brake the slant muzzle brake I got threads on just fine. That's why I was wondering if or how many different thread types the ak had.

Kevlar
06-29-2013, 12:45 PM
As I understand it the 10/63 is pretty much the easiest variant to covert to 30 rnds, Century did most of them I think, but home conversions are popular as well. I'm no expert so it is possible that the 74 brake has a diff threading than the standard slant.

imanaknut
06-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

You are correct that the standard muzzle thread for the AK is 14x1mm left hand. The reason the AK-74 style brake doesn't thread on when the slant does could mean the internal threads of the AK-74 brake are damaged.

I really never heard the true meaning of the 10/63 in the WASR line of rifles, just that the 10 designated single stack 10 round max for importation purposes. It keeps ATF happy that the rifle is being imported under the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, actually that stupid 1968 GCA. Once in the land of shall not be infringed, the importer or distributor, or in some cases just a gunsmith, can open up the single stack magwell to accept standard AK mags. But doing such changes the purpose from sporting to evil, so to maintain it's angelic sporting nature, the person doing the conversion must keep the imported parts count to 10 maximum. An AKM with threaded muzzle has 16 countable parts, so a minimum of 6 must be USA made to prevent evil things from happening. Pretty stupid, no?

O.S.O.K.
06-29-2013, 03:35 PM
:welcome: to the board!

I have a 10/63 underfolder and it's without a doubt the nicest Romanian AKM that I've bought - and I've bought SAR-1's, SAR-2's and seen a lot of WASR's, etc. as well.

I think it's due to the fact that they're made from mil surplus guns.

I agree that there's probably an issue with the 74 brake's threads. This was purchased used I assume - given that it came with that brake. You can get a slant brake that should fit fine.

imanaknut
06-29-2013, 03:38 PM
:welcome: to the board!

I have a 10/63 underfolder and it's without a doubt the nicest Romanian AKM that I've bought - and I've bought SAR-1's, SAR-2's and seen a lot of WASR's, etc. as well.

I think it's due to the fact that they're made from mil surplus guns.

I agree that there's probably an issue with the 74 brake's threads. This was purchased used I assume - given that it came with that brake. You can get a slant brake that should fit fine.

In reality the SAR-1 was the only military issue AK variant ever imported into the USA for sale to those of us who shall not be infringed. That is probably why the had such "wonderful" finishes. The semi-autos were for trainees, so why worry about how good they looked? :)

WASRs used miltary parts, but that made for USA commercial receiver.

jrak27
06-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys! Yea it has a slant muzzle brake already on it. Im gonna try another 74 style and see if it works.

jrak27
06-30-2013, 01:56 AM
One quick thing what do you guys clean your ak's with? Or is the same basic stuff i use on the rest of my firearms ok.

Kevlar
06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
It's an AK....so you don't have to clean it! :ak:

JK, Personally I use the same old gun cleaning kit, a little solvent, brush, barrel patches, and some oil.

jrak27
06-30-2013, 11:02 AM
hah I was gonna go with the piss and gas method! Oh and update on the muzzle brake I tired another 74 style off a friends ak, and YUP no go. So Im going to stick to the slant style....tho I may order a die and fix the threads.