PDA

View Full Version : Alaska question

l921428x
07-07-2013, 02:30 AM
i for the most part do not watch tv. today being bored i turned on the tv and watched 2 episodes of alaska state troopers.
my god what a dump! everything was trash and rubble. people think it is pretty for its nature and landscape, which both are natural killers,
but is this what the human part of the state looks like?

it was 2 room shacks, mobile trailers, junk yards for front yards.....

just askin.....

ltorlo64
07-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I went to Anchorage about 4 years ago. I thought it was a nice town that wouldn't be bad to live in, except that the sun never went down. We even did some driving outside the city and it was some of the best scenery I have seen. Some areas are very depressed though, not a lot of income there. Not a lot of factories or other businesses except for tourism, which does not create high paying jobs.

jojo
07-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Anyone I ever knew that was from Alaska worked in the oil fields or fishing industry and whatever residences they had there were just temporary. Most lived overseas like the Philippines.

El Laton Caliente
07-07-2013, 11:42 AM
The oil field and some of the actual fishermen make good money. Most of the rest is service and tourism jobs that do not pay as well. Also, prices are much higher in Alaska for just about everything so you have to make good money to afford anything nice.

The is also the native Alaskan contingent; like elsewhere, the Indians have large numbers of drunks. Even though they get oil money paid to them and preferential treatment in oil field jobs, many live in hovels... Those that took advantage of the opportunities have done very well for themselves.

El Laton Caliente
07-07-2013, 02:26 PM
There is also the 3 to 4 month outdoor schedule. "Normal" construction only goes during that period. The rest of the year work outside is difficult and more expensive in most of the state.

Altarboy
07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
I'd love to visit for a long spell, but I am used to a better climate. It's an awesome state.

stevelyn
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
i for the most part do not watch tv. today being bored i turned on the tv and watched 2 episodes of alaska state troopers.
my god what a dump! everything was trash and rubble. people think it is pretty for its nature and landscape, which both are natural killers,
but is this what the human part of the state looks like?

it was 2 room shacks, mobile trailers, junk yards for front yards.....

just askin.....

Yup. It tends to keep the pretentious, elitist DSMFs out.