PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing knife sharpening on the side.

cevulirn
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty good at sharpening knives. I can take a knife and make it hair popping sharp in minutes if I don't have to reprofile the edge. I'm not entirely sure how I want to go about it though. I know that at least one shop near where I work will let me put out business cards. I'm still not sure exactly HOW I want to go about it though, or what rates I should charge.

Any advice?

cevulirn
07-09-2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.facebook.com/HoneWorks

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Use facebook to network with knife groups, stores, smiths and enthusiasts in your area. Trading "likes" and such. Post often, promote friends, post pictures of projects you're working on and link up to your ads, offer discounts in exchange for likes. See if you can cross promote with local blade smiths and knife stores.

Ads: Craigslist. Post daily. It's free. Good way to start.

When you're ready, put up a site or wordpress blog. You can "backlink" all your posts on the various sites to each other and that will boost your google rating. Higher google rating means your get a higher ranking in search results.

Good luck!

l921428x
07-10-2013, 01:12 AM
there used to be a store in atl. called keen edge. that is all they did was sharpen things, anything that had an edge. nice side job.

Richard Simmons
07-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Maybe charge $1 per inch of blade length.

Full Otto
07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty good at sharpening knives.

That's an understatement, I've seen your work up close and it is indeed impressive.
Just wondering maybe record your work as you get it in like some of the pistol vids you have done.
Come up with an instructional DVD for sale. Make a little trailer on your site, maybe get some extra out of the work you get in.

cevulirn
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
That's an understatement, I've seen your work up close and it is indeed impressive.
Just wondering maybe record your work as you get it in like some of the pistol vids you have done.
Come up with an instructional DVD for sale. Make a little trailer on your site, maybe get some extra out of the work you get in.

Honestly, I've gotten a lot better since then. I suppose I could make a video, but it would be hard to teach, instead of jigs or tricks, I freehand with bench stones. I really need a way to take a picture of sharp, but how do I portray that?

Full Otto
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I really need a way to take a picture of sharp, but how do I portray that?

Well I did see you dry shave the hair off your arm, that would do it.
But perhaps finding a willing young lady to do similar would go a lot farther to generate sales I'm thinking.
Legs and underarms of course :naughty: