PDA

View Full Version : New Member

AKhoarder
07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Howdy Folks,

I've been messing with AKs since the 80s when you could go to a local gun show and get a lot of 5 for $250 a unit sometimes even less. During all this time I have never once used the supplied/attached cleaning rod on any of my AKs. I realize in a combat situation it's a must have but I find them ugly (Flame On) and unnecessary especially with some of the new stock kits. How many people actually clean their AKs with said rod as opposed to using a nice cleaning kit with a 3 piece aluminum cleaning rod?

ltorlo64
07-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I am more of an AR guy myself. Welcome to the board. You came to the right place to get information though, on ARs and AKs.

l921428x
07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
welcome to the board. that said, a couple of times for info., to see what it feels like.

El Laton Caliente
07-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Welcome to the board!!!

Full Otto
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
You're supposed to clean them?

FunkyPertwee
07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Commie rifles are made for corrosive ammo and therefore need a cleaning rod attached or issued with the weapon.

One time I snapped and aluminum rod at the range while doing a quick field cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo out of a PSL. No problem, I just pulled the three-piece steel cleaning rod that is kept in the military issue mag carrier. There is no snapping that thick steal fucker.

Aaron1100us
07-11-2013, 04:20 AM
I had a squib a few months back. I used the cleaning rod to ram the stuck bullet out. Other than that, I dont use it. Can be handy when you need it though.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

AKhoarder
07-11-2013, 05:24 AM
That's exactly what I thought, I'm not alone. The reason I brought it up is I put a polymer stock kit on a SAR-1 I've had in the safe since I bought it new in 2001 and it looks much better without the rod. When I go to the range I have always carried a cleaning kit in my shooting bag so this one is going in the parts pile. Thanks for the welcome, this looks like a great place for information and to shoot the breeze, since it's about all you can afford to shoot these days...