PDA

View Full Version : La Perla Habana, Black Pearl

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-14-2013, 12:35 AM
A fat sub munition of the Jefferson Bomb, this stogie is ship breaker. It's almost as thick as my thumb and it's nearly three times as long. The cat is afraid of it. It's big.

The color is deep milk chocolate. Not that cheap shit melting in it's wrapper at the gas station that's like 2% cacao and 15% rat droppings. I'm talking about that rich, contraband stuff made by eccentric belgians outside the law. You know, the shit they banned in Saudi Arabia? That's that gangsta ass chocolate!

It smells good too. Like Ron Burgundy's condo. All leather and fine mahogany.

Draw is like a chimney and the smoke is downright delicious. Unsweetened chocolate creme followed by strong aromatic spices. People used to raid caravans for that kind of action. I can't blame them.

Oh La Perla Negra, if it wasn't a violation of man's law and god's alike, I'd make you "mi mujer".

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Dr-Gonzo-fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-904218_100_100.gif

Thanks Jefe!

TEN-32
07-14-2013, 04:11 AM
:roflmao:Nice.

CigarGuy
07-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Excellent review! At least, the parts I understood......

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
:thumbsup:

TEN-32
07-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Gonzo you strike me as an eccentric guy. In a good way.:anim_beer-1:

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I like to party.

mrkalashnikov
07-15-2013, 08:21 AM
The color is deep milk chocolate. Not that cheap shit melting in it's wrapper at the gas station that's like 2% cacao and 15% rat droppings. I'm talking about that rich, contraband stuff made by eccentric belgians outside the law. You know, the shit they banned in Saudi Arabia? That's that gangsta ass chocolate!

It smells good too. Like Ron Burgundy's condo. All leather and fine mahogany.

Draw is like a chimney and the smoke is downright delicious. Unsweetened chocolate creme followed by strong aromatic spices. People used to raid caravans for that kind of action. I can't blame them.

If Hunter S was still around and writing cigar reviews, I think he'd be proud to put his name on this. :cigarsmoking:

Well done, Doc.

El Jefe
07-15-2013, 03:34 PM
Nice! ;) Great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the smoke.

Did you by chance pair this with a beverage?

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
If Hunter S was still around and writing cigar reviews, I think he'd be proud to put his name on this. :cigarsmoking:

Well done, Doc.

Thanks, man!

I might pitch a column of these to Cracked when I get to five. Will definitely be giving props to Jefferson and the Gunsnet Humidor if I do!

Nice! ;) Great review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the smoke.

Did you by chance pair this with a beverage?

Not this time, I'm trying to cut back. But dang if that wasn't a tasty cigar! Got a few more to try. I'll keep updating!

El Jefe
07-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks, man!

I might pitch a column of these to Cracked when I get to five. Will definitely be giving props to Jefferson and the Gunsnet Humidor if I do!

Not this time, I'm trying to cut back. But dang if that wasn't a tasty cigar! Got a few more to try. I'll keep updating!

Cool. I just burnt a Hoyo and paired it with ice water. :)

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Cool. I just burnt a Hoyo and paired it with ice water. :)

These things pair great with themselves, don't they?

El Jefe
07-15-2013, 07:27 PM
These things pair great with themselves, don't they?

Ayup. :)

A decent mild stogie with coffee in the morning works well too.

stevelyn
07-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Got a bundle of those on the way somewhere between here and skAnchorge.

Burned a La Herencia CORE a couple nights ago. Damn good smoke.

El Jefe
07-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Got a bundle of those on the way somewhere between here and skAnchorge.

Burned a La Herencia CORE a couple nights ago. Damn good smoke.

The few I've shared have been resting approximately 18 months in my humidor. IMO the extra time really helped them out.

stevelyn
07-31-2013, 07:09 AM
I took delivery of my Black Pearls a couple weeks ago and tried one last week. It seemed a bit on the harsh side and stung my nose. I ended up giving the rest to a friend that has a provincial palate, can't discern flavors and smokes more for the nicotine rather than the taste.

I did pull a couple for my humidor. Maybe letting them rest for a time may knock off the edge a bit.

El Jefe
07-31-2013, 10:52 AM
I took delivery of my Black Pearls a couple weeks ago and tried one last week. It seemed a bit on the harsh side and stung my nose. I ended up giving the rest to a friend that has a provincial palate, can't discern flavors and smokes more for the nicotine rather than the taste.

I did pull a couple for my humidor. Maybe letting them rest for a time may knock off the edge a bit.

That was my experience, Steve. Many cigars that we find for budget prices have good tobacco in them, but, they aren't done fermenting yet and at times can taste horrible, or have little to no flavor. Many times these same smokes after 6 to 18 months of humidor rest will turn out to be good smokes.

I'm going to guess that the BP's you got were still in the finishing stage or "dead zone" and that the reason they seemed harsh was due to ammonia still being released by the fermenting tobacco. You could lay them up and then try one every 6 months to see how they progress.

stevelyn
08-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Didn't know about the ammonia thing. It'll probably take me six months or so to screw up the courage to try them again anyway, so that works out fine. :coffee: