PDA

View Full Version : The Effects of Teaching

ltorlo64
07-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I work in an office with about 14 other people. We have these cubicles with walls that are only about 4 feet high. The office is split into two sections based on what we work on. I am in a car pool with a guy that works on the other side of the office from me. Now you have the basics, here is the story.

Yesterday I was having a discussion with my boss who sits in the cubicle next to mine when I hear the guy I car pool with talking to a junior officer (JO) on his side of the office about the Second Amendment. I couldn't quite hear what they were saying and I was involved in this other discussion so I couldn't go over and join in. The only thing I heard was the JO say something along the lines of "handguns are not needed and should not be included in Second Amendment discussions." By the time I had finished with my boss the other discussion had move on.

Today on our way home I told my friend that I was sorry I had not been able to join the conversation he had with the JO on the Second Amendment. He told me that he had used the things I had talked to him about in our carpool to show the JO that his position was illogical and not in line with the wording or intent of the Second Amendment. The JO said that he had been given some things to think about that he had not thought of before. Considering that my friend does not currently own any firearms and did not think the Second Amendment was that important when we started the car pool I feel pretty good.

I believe logic, patience and careful, thoughtful explanations are very important in any discussion of our rights. I think this is a great example of why.

(By the way, my friend is now looking for a shotgun. I have recommended a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 based on price, versatility, and accessibility.)

alismith
07-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I work in an office with about 14 other people. We have these cubicles with walls that are only about 4 feet high. The office is split into two sections based on what we work on. I am in a car pool with a guy that works on the other side of the office from me. Now you have the basics, here is the story.

Yesterday I was having a discussion with my boss who sits in the cubicle next to mine when I hear the guy I car pool with talking to a junior officer (JO) on his side of the office about the Second Amendment. I couldn't quite hear what they were saying and I was involved in this other discussion so I couldn't go over and join in. The only thing I heard was the JO say something along the lines of "handguns are not needed and should not be included in Second Amendment discussions." By the time I had finished with my boss the other discussion had move on.

Today on our way home I told my friend that I was sorry I had not been able to join the conversation he had with the JO on the Second Amendment. He told me that he had used the things I had talked to him about in our carpool to show the JO that his position was illogical and not in line with the wording or intent of the Second Amendment. The JO said that he had been given some things to think about that he had not thought of before. Considering that my friend does not currently own any firearms and did not think the Second Amendment was that important when we started the car pool I feel pretty good.

I believe logic, patience and careful, thoughtful explanations are very important in any discussion of our rights. I think this is a great example of why.

(By the way, my friend is now looking for a shotgun. I have recommended a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 based on price, versatility, and accessibility.)

The exact opposite of what I hi-lited is what the antigun crowd uses to tear down the 2nd Amendment.

You are doing an admiral job supporting the 2nd and the results show this. :thumbsup:

Schuetzenman
07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Well done Ltorlo64.

BISHOP
07-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Great recommendation on shotguns. The Mossy on price as a starter gun because its very reliable but will not last (I got get a semi for duck hunting because the gun would lock up without reason. Nothing worn or broken, but would happen at random).

The Rem is the regular go-to pump for total reliability, usually after having the Mossy for a few years.

BISHOP

JTHunter
07-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Nice going Ltorlo64!
The Mossy is a good idea. They make several good pumpguns. And, if your friend decides to hunt, getting the combo set with the rifled slug barrel would be a good idea. That would also be a good alternative to buckshot in an SD situation.