PDA

View Full Version : Black Crown

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-24-2013, 08:05 PM
http://img.cigarsinternational.com/p/300/cs/b/cs-bcn-view2.jpg

A dark and mysterious fatty, labeled with nothing more than a distressed logo and the words "Black Crown", this rich smelling beast hails from the jungles of Honduras where the locals religiously hand roll some of the finest things ever burned for flavor. God bless em. Every last ancient, coca chewing, Oompa Loompa lookin' ass one of them.

http://www.tobacco-news.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cigar-roller-480.jpg
Marta has been sitting at this desk since the Banana war.

The nose is intense, kinda humid even! Wet leaves and dander. Maybe the thinnest edge of tar. A country road side in the dog days of summer.

The draw is deliberate but smoooooth. Upon ignition the flavor is all heavy cream and walnut husks. Like many fine cigars it literally tastes like "luxury".

About halfway through and the cream has dropped off in favor of red wood smoke. Not overpowering though. Like a distant campfire. A hint of spices creeping in.

Getting closer to the wrapper the flavor has smoothed out again. All walnuts and spices. The father down it gets the more of touch of coffee begins to emerge. Coffee and apple wood. Lots of coffee!

El Jefe has struck again! I gotta ad Black Crown to the short list, this thing is a dang masterpiece!

Cheers!

CigarGuy
07-25-2013, 06:02 AM
You makin' me hungry!

TEN-32
07-25-2013, 06:38 AM
great write up Gonzo. I enjoyed the one I received very much.

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-25-2013, 09:11 AM
You makin' me hungry!

Aw man, you gotta get some of these!

great write up Gonzo. I enjoyed the one I received very much.

It's definitely one of the best smokes I've ever enjoyed. Honestly though, the whole bomb has been top notch! Jefferson's got me hooked on this stuff now!

TEN-32
07-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Honestly though, the whole bomb has been top notch! Jefferson's got me hooked on this stuff now!

I know...the bastard! I haven't smoked a pipe in weeks...

CigarGuy
07-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Just don't get him started with you on bourbon...........

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Just don't get him started with you on bourbon...........
It's too late!

High recommendations to:

Blanton's Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig 12
Michter's
Bulliet

And many others...

I would have loved to pair this smoke with a dram of the brown stuff but I'm on a tight budget these days so drinking is a low priority.

When I'm flush again I'll be looking for some Pappy Van Winkle. Never had it and this cooking show I watch must be sponsored by the Buffalo Trace distillery or something because they're constantly going on about it. Since Buffalo Trace produces some of the best American Whiskies out there and the Pappy looks to have some dark, rich bourbon offerings of appropriate ages so I'ma HAVE to give it a shot!

CigarGuy
07-25-2013, 01:44 PM
It's too late!

High recommendations to:

Blanton's Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig 12
Michter's
Bulliet

And many others...

I would have loved to pair this smoke with a dram of the brown stuff but I'm on a tight budget these days so drinking is a low priority.

When I'm flush again I'll be looking for some Pappy Van Winkle. Never had it and this cooking show I watch must be sponsored by the Buffalo Trace distillery or something because they're constantly going on about it. Since Buffalo Trace produces some of the best American Whiskies out there and the Pappy looks to have some dark, rich bourbon offerings of appropriate ages so I'ma HAVE to give it a shot!

For me too. I got it BAD! My "official" whiskey glasses just came in the mail today.........

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-25-2013, 02:41 PM
For me too. I got it BAD! My "official" whiskey glasses just came in the mail today.........

Cheers! Weird as it sounds, the shape really does make a difference!

El Jefe
07-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Nice. ;) glad you enjoyed it.

The BC's are a decent smoke, but uh, I don't think Puff the Magic Dragon (CG), would care for them, his tastes call for something much, much stronger! :)

If the cigar has anything other than ligero and shredded tire, I don't think he can taste them. :help:

El Jefe
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Damn it man! What did you get???

I like my double old fashioned glasses and I have a pair of the tulip shaped whiskey glasses for when I drink neat. :)

mrkalashnikov
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Damn Doc, your reviews are becoming almost Byron-esque. ;)

Sadly I'm not in the same leagues w/ you other guys when it comes to "nose". Allergies & inhaling in over 30 yrs of Chicago smog have left the olfactory senses somewhat deminished, to say the least.

I still love to smoke good cigars, though my taste range is pretty much limited to "good smooth smoke, nice draw" to "like sucking on burning rope, tastes like death". :crazy:

El Jefe
07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
;)

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Sadly I'm not in the same leagues w/ you other guys when it comes to "nose". Allergies & inhaling in over 30 yrs of Chicago smog have left the olfactory senses somewhat deminished, to say the least.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just wing it and write what I think they taste or smell like. I think the dirty secret among liqour or cigar "authorities" is they all basically do the same thing. I saw a blind taste testing once where a bunch of snooty wine pros gave higher ratings to two-buck-chuck than their beloved expensive vintages.

The only real bedrock rule is "enjoy it!". ;)

TEN-32
07-25-2013, 04:27 PM
The only real bedrock rule is "enjoy it!". ;)

Truth!

CigarGuy
07-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Damn it man! What did you get???

I like my double old fashioned glasses and I have a pair of the tulip shaped whiskey glasses for when I drink neat. :)

Here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQAIRO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes. For drinking neat. Someone already told me about the old fashioned glasses.......
I seem to be drinking neat, though, most of the time.

CigarGuy
07-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Nice. ;) glad you enjoyed it.

The BC's are a decent smoke, but uh, I don't think Puff the Magic Dragon (CG), would care for them, his tastes call for something much, much stronger! :)

If the cigar has anything other than ligero and shredded tire, I don't think he can taste them. :help:

Mmmmmmm.............shredded tire...............err.............Mmmmmmmmmm..... ...ligero.................

TEN-32
07-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQAIRO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes. For drinking neat. Someone already told me about the old fashioned glasses.......

I think those are the nosing glasses I have. I use them often, but not this morning...
http://imageshack.us/a/img59/6362/frbv.jpg

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Perfection! Those glasses work well with just about any other complex tasting liquor too. I've had good results sipping cognac and craft tequilas out of them as well. That tulip shape is the magic!

:thumbsup:

CigarGuy
07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Yep. They are perfect for nosin' and sippin'!

El Jefe
07-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Nice! I've got basically the same glass sans pedestal base.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencairn-Wide-Bowl-Whisky-Glass/dp/B005MSNNRW/ref=sr_1_157?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1374873872&sr=1-157&keywords=Whiskey+glasses

CigarGuy
07-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Nice! I've got basically the same glass sans pedestal base.

http://www.amazon.com/Glencairn-Wide-Bowl-Whisky-Glass/dp/B005MSNNRW/ref=sr_1_157?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1374873872&sr=1-157&keywords=Whiskey+glasses

I was torn between the two. My "other" bourbon buddy has those too. I went with the "wine glass" theory
that you need a stem to hold and not warm with your body temp..

El Jefe
07-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I was torn between the two. My "other" bourbon buddy has those too. I went with the "wine glass" theory
that you need a stem to hold and not warm with your body temp..

Meh, just drink faster! ;)

I'll tell ya, I imbibed about as much as is sane last night. I set the alarm on my phone for 6:00 and that seemed quite early this morning. :boozer:

CigarGuy
07-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I've had one or two of those nights since my "discovery" of whiskey......
I am amazed how the higher proofs stand up so well to my asbestos taste buds and strong cigars.

El Jefe
07-27-2013, 05:54 PM
I've had one or two of those nights since my "discovery" of whiskey......
I am amazed how the higher proofs stand up so well to my asbestos taste buds and strong cigars.

Makes sense, strong stogey needs a like hooch. Just remember to let the old liver scab over occasionally. ;)