PDA

View Full Version : subsonic .44 question

turdypointbuck
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
I have a couple bolt rifles in 44... a ruger 77/44 integrally suppressed and I have a Remington 788 in 44 mag on the way,I believe the 788 is a pretty slow 1-38 twist,will that stabilize anything subsonic? Any idea what a rebarrel would run me? Thanks guys I'm new to this!

ltorlo64
07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I have no idea, but wanted to welcome you to the group. I have seen your name pop up in a few of the discussions. Hope you enjoy yourself and look forward to seeing you in more discussions.

L1A1Rocker
07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a couple bolt rifles in 44... a ruger 77/44 integrally suppressed and I have a Remington 788 in 44 mag on the way,I believe the 788 is a pretty slow 1-38 twist,will that stabilize anything subsonic? Any idea what a rebarrel would run me? Thanks guys I'm new to this!

No, and sorry no. Your 77/44 should have had a douglas 11:1 barrel installed by the manufacture of the silencer. I'm in the process right now of a 96-44 integral build and will be swapping out the barrel for the Douglas.

Of course I'm assuming that you would be shooting the big heavy bullets. But if your shooting normal bullet weights through your Remington at sub sonic speeds, you'll be fine.

turdypointbuck
07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... L1A1. I'm not worried bout the ruger,its twist is good through 300grains...but the Remington is my main concern..when u say NORMAL bullet weights and it will be fine in the 1-38,what weight is considered normal 180-250?? If those will stabilize subsonic through the 788 ill keep the stock barrel as it is VERY accurate with supersonic loads! Thanks again for any help guys!

L1A1Rocker
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the responses guys... L1A1. I'm not worried bout the ruger,its twist is good through 300grains...but the Remington is my main concern..when u say NORMAL bullet weights and it will be fine in the 1-38,what weight is considered normal 180-250?? If those will stabilize subsonic through the 788 ill keep the stock barrel as it is VERY accurate with supersonic loads! Thanks again for any help guys!

Hopefully I can phrase this right. A bullets speed does not have a factor in it's stability, it's the length of the bullet. Subsoinic bullets' energy are limited by the speed. So in order to try and get back some energy lost from the super sonic speeds, weight is added. Adding the weight means a longer bullet; longer bullets mean a faster twist is needed to stabilize it.

Sooo, to make a short story long: If a given bullet weight has been stable in barrel "x" at supersonic speeds, then that same bullet should be stable at subsonic speeds. You shouldn't run into problems until you start trying to shoot longer (heavier) bullets in the slower twist barrel.

I hope this helps.

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
250 grain bullets and under should stabilize in that 1:38 twist barrel. Are you handloading or only using factory rounds?

turdypointbuck
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Handloads as there isn't much in the way of subsonic factory loads. If I can shoot up to 250 grain at 950-1050fps ill be happy..I've just heard the 1-38 twist would do it accurately.. ill prolly start with 9 grains trailboss behind 240xtp,not sure whether to crimp heavy or not..I haven't slugged the bore of the Remington 788 to see if its oversize or not,if it is I might try some sized cast loads..but I try to stay away from cast with suppressors..

Schuetzenman
07-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Hopefully I can phrase this right. A bullets speed does not have a factor in it's stability, it's the length of the bullet. Subsoinic bullets' energy are limited by the speed. So in order to try and get back some energy lost from the super sonic speeds, weight is added. Adding the weight means a longer bullet; longer bullets mean a faster twist is needed to stabilize it.

Sooo, to make a short story long: If a given bullet weight has been stable in barrel "x" at supersonic speeds, then that same bullet should be stable at subsonic speeds. You shouldn't run into problems until you start trying to shoot longer (heavier) bullets in the slower twist barrel.

I hope this helps.

Actually that's not correct. The speed of the bullet in part does have something to do with the stability of it coupled with the twist helix. Look up the Greenhill Formula. Essentially there is a relationship between linear speed and twist helix and the RPM that is created. This is why a Subsonic barrel needs a faster twist to stabilize the heavy bullets which usually = longer bullets. As an example a stock .22 LR barrel firing the Aguila SSS sub sonic 60 gr. bullet will keyhole like crazy. If you shoot it through a can expect a baffle strike. Now if you get a custom faster twist barrel like a 1 in 9 it will not keyhole and you can shoot it out of a Can.

turdypointbuck
07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Hmm I wish I knew someone that has suppressed a Remington 788 .44 mag and I'd just ask how heavy I can go subsonic accurately without worry of a baffle strike....

Schuetzenman
08-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Hmm I wish I knew someone that has suppressed a Remington 788 .44 mag and I'd just ask how heavy I can go subsonic accurately without worry of a baffle strike....

Well there's the old fashioned way ... try shooting bullets at targets about 100 yards out. If the holes are nice and round, no problem. If you have oval holes and sideways holes in the paper, not good.