PDA

View Full Version : The wayward box finds its way home.

El Jefe
08-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Dang, our UPS guy was working late last night, I think he delivered this sometime around 7:30, I noticed it at 8:00.

Anyway, wow! This thing came back just bursting with goodies! :naughty:

There's some Cuban's in there I've not tried. 3 different Ashton's, one from a line I've never smoked before. A big honking Opus X, a Padron 1926 torpedo, A R&J I'm interested in plus a Mac-2000 I've read good things about. I'll tell ya, all the puts look great! Good job fellas. ;)

Film at 11:00......

http://s22.postimg.org/4vdl85xap/box_pass_return_bulleit_10_cuban_humi_006.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s24.postimg.org/5ehrepdzp/box_pass_return_bulleit_10_cuban_humi_007.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Obviously last night my first priority was getting all of these morsels in a humidor, then I snapped some photos. :)

All in all, this turned out, IMO, great! I sincerely hope that Stan and the Chicago Matt's, enjoyed this as much as I did. :thumbsup:

TEN-32
08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Excellent.

El Jefe
08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Excellent.

I'm confused tho, to my knowledge, no one has claimed the 2nd Esplindido or the Opus X. There may be more "mystery sticks", but those two for obvious reasons stick out. :tinfoil::gruebel:

I'm thinking that RASS is a goner as of this evening. ;)

TEN-32
08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I took the Opus.

Those Ramone Alones are very nice. Enjoy!

El Jefe
08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I took the Opus.

Those Ramone Alones are very nice. Enjoy!

Yes I noticed you claimed the Opus I put in, which was my intention. But, when the box got to me, there's an even bigger Opus X in it.:smiley_freak: Whomever put that in deserves credit. ;)

As for the RA, I'm sure I will. :naughty: I'll pick out a decent whiskey to pair it with too.

El Jefe
08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Okay, another "mystery stick" I'm now aware of: Hoyo De Monterey Double Corona. A beast of a cigar at 49 x 7.6" :naughty:

Check this out:http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2011/rank/15

Stan, was this your doing? ;)

mrkalashnikov
08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Glad the box has come full circle. Let me know what you think of that Macanudo 2000. :cigarsmoking:

El Jefe
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Glad the box has come full circle. Let me know what you think of that Macanudo 2000. :cigarsmoking:

Oh heck, Matt, I'll do better than that, I'll give it a full review! ;)

I just need to figure out what to pair it with.

Thanks for your participation, bro, this was fun! :)

CigarGuy
08-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Okay, another "mystery stick" I'm now aware of: Hoyo De Monterey Double Corona. A beast of a cigar at 49 x 7.6" :naughty:

Check this out:http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2011/rank/15

Stan, was this your doing? ;)

Yeah. I put in the Opus and the Hoyo de Monterey Double C. I'm glad to find someone that would enjoy it!
I'm anxious to see your tasting notes on the Don Benigno. There's a story there......

El Jefe
08-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah. I put in the Opus and the Hoyo de Monterey Double C. I'm glad to find someone that would enjoy it!
I'm anxious to see your tasting notes on the Don Benigno. There's a story there......

I looked at that this morning, it says its from Costa Rica, I didn't realize they rolled smokes down there. So, whats the scoop?

Thanks for the great sticks Stan, much appreciated. :) That big Hoyo certainly looks good.;)

CigarGuy
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Don Benigno is a Spanish-only speaking fella that, yes, is in Costa Rica. Allegedly, he claims he is one of FOUR individuals in the
world that actually has unrolled Cuban tobacco EXPORTED TO him........but it's a "Costa Rican" cigar.........;)

El Jefe
08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Don Benigno is a Spanish-only speaking fella that, yes, is in Costa Rica. Allegedly, he claims he is one of FOUR individuals in the
world that actually has unrolled Cuban tobacco EXPORTED TO him........but it's a "Costa Rican" cigar.........;)

Really? Thats quite a claim. I was under the assumption that the Cubans hadn't exported unrolled tobacco in a long time.

CigarGuy
08-08-2013, 01:27 PM
You wouldn't think, would you. Also been told that Cuba IMPORTS tobacco from Nicaragua, but that's another discussion.
Anyways, curious as to your tasting notes on that one. You could pick it out, true or false, as good as anyone.
Clean palate. First cigar of the day?!

El Jefe
08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
You wouldn't think, would you. Also been told that Cuba IMPORTS tobacco from Nicaragua, but that's another discussion.
Anyways, curious as to your tasting notes on that one. You could pick it out, true or false, as good as anyone.
Clean palate. First cigar of the day?!

I will certainly give it a shot!

Also, man, if it ever got out that Cuba was importing tobacco, whew, that would be quite the dust up. I'm thinking of all the Nicaraguan smokes I've had and the only one that comes to mind similar to at least *some* Cuban brands is the Daytona. Um, that is a Nic stick, right? ;)

CigarGuy
08-08-2013, 02:21 PM
<nodding> Think all the Oliva's are Nic's?!

El Jefe
08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
<nodding> Think all the Oliva's are Nic's?!

I couldn't remember if they were Nicaraguan or Honduran.

CigarGuy
08-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Rule of thumb.......
If you like it, it's Nic
If you don't, it's Hondo

JUST KIDDING!

Actually, just read a press release on new stuff from Christian Eiroa who sold Camacho to Davidoff and now is back in biz in
Hondorus. Has 2 new lines coming out, stronger then anything he's ever made.

El Jefe
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Rule of thumb.......
If you like it, it's Nic
If you don't, it's Hondo

JUST KIDDING!

Actually, just read a press release on new stuff from Christian Eiroa who sold Camacho to Davidoff and now is back in biz in
Hondorus. Has 2 new lines coming out, stronger then anything he's ever made.

Heh, I'm not surprised to hear you say any of that. ;) *here's where you give me credit for not posting a pic of a dragon*

This also reminds me of another topic or deal you see a lot in the world of cigars. Several of the non-Cuban makers talk a lot about cuban seeds and Cuban style smokes, which is funny, especially from the Nicaraguan guys because the Cubans, to my knowledge don't roll anything near as strong as many of the Nic sticks are.

In fact, I have yet to find a Cuban stick that I'd rate as "full". Maybe somewhat close, but genuinely full strength? Nope.

CigarGuy
08-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Yeah. That "cuban seed" terminology is bogus. ALL cigar tobacco is grown from "cuban seed", regardless of what
country the plants are grown in, as the seeds were smuggled/transported out of Cuba to Dom Rep, Hon, Nic, etc. etc.
Kinda like vines of grapes, I believe. ALL from France, right, and transplanted around the world.

El Jefe
08-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah. That "cuban seed" terminology is bogus. ALL cigar tobacco is grown from "cuban seed", regardless of what
country the plants are grown in, as the seeds were smuggled/transported out of Cuba to Dom Rep, Hon, Nic, etc. etc.
Kinda like vines of grapes, I believe. ALL from France, right, and transplanted around the world.

Yep, wine grapes are the perfect analogy.