PDA

View Full Version : 95 ford xlt 150 fuel delivery problems?

blobman
09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
my truck wouldnt start this week,so iv been toying with it...a few specifics it hasa 5.8 throttlebodied engine,2 fuel tanks

initially it wouldnt start,just turned over like it jumped time ,shot some ether into intake with no effect ,pulled a sparkplug wire and shoved a screwdriver into the wire and checked for fire,didnt get any fire ,but later when my neighbor came home we hooked up a light that goes between thew plug and wire and hadgood "fire" also tried this at the coil and hada solid bright light so i donrt think thats it.again with another shot of ether with no change ,waited 10 minutes and tried again without anymore ether and it started and ran treal rough,i switchee fuel tanks (via the switch) with no effect,,repeated the ether a few more times over the last wek and thats the only way itll start,but still runs rough and when i try to accelerate itll die,barely was able to move it 6 feet,im gonna check the fuel pressure tomorrow ,we also checked for vaccuum leaks with ether and windex(not together).any help is appreciated.ill also get a machine from oreillys tommorrow to check the trouble codes as the check engine light is now on.thanks guys

ATAK, Inc.
09-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually, it did start right after the ether, you got a hit too, and dreamed all the problems, it runs fine!

Rule the simple/major things out first.

Spark is there, but how much?

Check fuel, but first, find out your fault code(s). /that will more than likely point to the problem.

ubersoldate
09-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I sold a 92 bronco xlt recently that was the 5.8 as well. Good strong motor.
I would say check codes like you are gonna do.
But I ended up having to change out my fuel pump, in the tank, due to the same issues.
Not saying thats what your is, but I would start at the pump/tank and work your way forward..

deth502
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
not sounding like a fuel problem if its not running with ether.

1, check those codes, easiest thing.

2, fuel filter and air filter. im sure it needs them anyway, these 2 items usually get neglected.

3, check the pressure at the fuel rail if you still think its a fuel problem.

Arnulf
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Try replacing the fuel filter.....also I think they have a pump in the gas tank....mebbe it died?

AKTexas
09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
I had similar problems with my 2001 Ford Ranger,ended up being the fuel pump and filter.

$800 later and I'm mobile.

samiam
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
as already stated check the codes, once saw a F150 with a bad coolant sensor, same symptoms as yours, sensor was telling the computer the engine was 295 degrees the computer leaned out the fuel so much wouldn't start or run

Sherman
09-20-2010, 09:25 AM
How many miles on this beast? If it has more than 125k on the clock, go ahead and replace the fuel pump. To make it a easy job, pull the bed off. Dropping the tank is the hard way. While your at it, replace the fuel filter like mentioned above.

renegadebuck
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Have you taken fuel pressure yet? Since it did start on either, it will probably be fuel or weak spark. Have you checked the plugs for fouling? If you have a weak spark, but good fuel pressure, you will probably have fouled plugs. This would explain the rough running and not starting the first time on either.

deth502
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
im gonna say no on the fuel pump.

dual tanks means 2 in tank fuel pumps, they did not both go at the exact same time.

Dan Morris
09-21-2010, 08:01 AM
JUst a thought, check neoprene fuel lines.....if weather cracked, they can be sucking air in...NO, they don't always show outside leakage! It will simulate a vapor lock.
Dan

blobman
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
got the machine to check codes and it wont read em.it has300k miles on it,it has a new fuel filter(i month old)what do you recon is keeping it from reading the codes?

btcave
09-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Possible Fuel Pressure Regulator.

If the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is wet with fuel, you have a bad regulator. A bad regulator can also dump fuel into your oil, thinning it, through that same vacuum tube.

Sometimes a fuel pressure test may not show a lack of pressure unless under load (driving). Sometimes.

Sites that helped me with my 1996 Bronco 5.8. God rest her soul.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/

btcave
09-21-2010, 06:29 PM
got the machine to check codes and it wont read em.it has300k miles on it,it has a new fuel filter(i month old)what do you recon is keeping it from reading the codes?

No codes? Maybe a bad PCM?

1995 was pre OBD II system right? OBD I?

blobman
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
yes its obd 1,whats a pcm?

deth502
09-21-2010, 06:44 PM
No codes? Maybe a bad PCM?

1995 was pre OBD II system right? OBD I?

+1

most of the time if the lights on but you cant retrive codes indicates a bad computer. good news is, yes, it is obd1, so exchanging one with one from a junk yard should not be a problem. most obdII systems will not interchange without reprograming them ($$$$$$$).

whiskeyman
09-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Check the voltage going to the fuel pump. I saw one that had a voltage drop problem.

btcave
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
yes its obd 1,whats a pcm?

PCM or ECM is the computer that runs your engine. It processes the information from your engines sensors. If it was to go bad, and they do go bad, your engine would be running like shitola!

BTW - My sons 94 Ranger is doing the exact same thing, so I will be interested to hear what the solution turns out to be when you find the answer to your problem. It has me stumped too. No money for the mechanic at this time and I'm at a loss, so it sits and rusts.

samiam
09-21-2010, 09:17 PM
If you can't get the codes try this procedure if you can get it to start and run unplug the sensors one at a time then plug them back in and move to the next one when you find the one that improves running leave it unplugged and try to drive it around the block if it makes it replace that one . . personally I'd start with the MAP sensor it will run in default with it unplugged but if its bad it won't run for shit plugged in . . yeah I know its a hillbillyassed way of doing things but if it gets you to the right answer so what?

Spiderhole
09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
If you come to find its a fuel pump, my experience has been that its easier to pull the bed off and go at it that way. I had the same issue in my 88 Chevy 1500 and it turned out to be the computer itself though! If you are going to be replacing the fuel pump, replace it with the best OEM or recomended part possible, becuase they are a bitch to have to do twice.

00RedZX-6R
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
If you come to find its a fuel pump, my experience has been that its easier to pull the bed off and go at it that way. I had the same issue in my 88 Chevy 1500 and it turned out to be the computer itself though! If you are going to be replacing the fuel pump, replace it with the best OEM or recomended part possible, becuase they are a bitch to have to do twice.

I just cut a square hole in the bed, and put sheetmetal over it. On my truck it didn't really matter. I was snapping snap on torx bits trying to get the bolts out of the bed.

blobman
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
my buddy came down last night and we checked fuel pressure for both tanks at the fuel rail and all was good ,also took the icm to oreillys and had it tested and it was good also.......bought new plugs for shits and grins with no new improvement.what do you guys know about the ilde air control valve?

blobman
09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
samiam ......is da man...i did what you suggested and unplugging the map sensor made it run better.drove it up the street and it ran rough ,but it would move which is more than it did all week,whoever hadthe trouble with the bronco go try it.thanks again.........ill replace the map sensor tomorrow napa hasone for 37 and one for 120.go figure

ubersoldate
09-26-2010, 05:29 PM
if you havent already, I would join the ford trucks forum. I know that whenever I ran into a problem with my bronco that I couldnt figure out, I would post, and someone would nail is within a day or so.

blobman
09-26-2010, 05:32 PM
uber whats the forum name?

ubersoldate
09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Here is the one I was on...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

samiam
09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
blobman, glad i could help, when you change the sensor unhook the battery for 10 min that will clear the computers memory then it will relearn its parameters let us know how it works out

blobman
11-08-2010, 08:32 PM
well it turns out it was the computer after all

btcave
11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the update!