PDA

View Full Version : My eotech finally took a dump.

Citizen Pain
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I've been using a 552 since 2005, I've mounted it on an m4 (1000rds), m240b+/- 10,000rds, m249 2000rds, an AR-15 5000rds and a cetme (appx 1000rds). And finally it looks like the cetme may be killing it. I would never bad mouth eotech, their product has served me very well over the years, but last week I went through 200ish of .308 at the local range on a cetme. As I was firing the sight began to go dim, I would stop firing for a moment and the reticle would come back, start firing again and I would lose it. Switched batteries but still a NO-GO. Called my regional eotech rep but he hasn't rung me back yet. I'm going to wait a week then go through eotechs standard customer service and I'll let you know what my experience is. Just giving everyone a heads up, as it turns out eotechs may not be invincible. I also have a 553 on an ak 74, and it's still goin strong, I bought that at the same time back in 2005. Anyway, I will post a follow up on my experience with customer service.

ATAK, Inc.
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
11,000 rounds of .308 and 8,000 rounds of.223 is pretty impresive! The .308 is way more shock than the .223!

Uncle Scary
09-20-2010, 12:45 AM
I've never owned an eotech, but I've heard that they have a common problem with the battery terminal. Something about recoil of many repeated firings causing the battery terminal to weaken in the models where the batteries are parallel to the axis of recoil. That's why the XPS models have the battery installed perpendicular. It's my understanding that many that have this problem with their Eotechs just reinforce the battery terminal so that it makes full contact with the battery.

Flinter
09-20-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm glad you are happy with it, but honestly.....5 years of service from a 500 dollar sight would piss me off. It's actually making me rethink wanting one.

Is that the average lifespan?

Citizen Pain
09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure what the average lifesan is. I assumed it was forever. I'm happy with the rliability it's given me, ie. I used to drop it down the troop hatch of an M113 sometimes, and it would land right on its head. I'm not however happy with it not working now especially after it survived all that. I'm sure that it's not covered under warranty any more, but I'm going to see if eotch will fix it anyway.

Citizen Pain
09-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Okay, talked to eotech rep Mike Kroll today. Obviously, my eotech is beyond warranty repair, so he suggested sending it in for standard repair. He stated that it is most likely a problem with the battery leads. $58 covers all out of warranty repairs and includes return shipping. We will see how it goes.

AKTexas
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Okay, talked to eotech rep Mike Kroll today. Obviously, my eotech is beyond warranty repair, so he suggested sending it in for standard repair. He stated that it is most likely a problem with the battery leads. $58 covers all out of warranty repairs and includes return shipping. We will see how it goes.

That is still better than buying a new sight.Hope this is the fix that will put you back up and running.

Penguin
09-22-2010, 06:24 PM
That doesn't sound to bad. Sure beats buying a new one.

Citizen Pain
10-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, my other Eotech (a 553 manufactured in 2006) died last week too. Pretty coincidental that they both began malfunctioning within 2 months. This 553, unlike my other, was mounted on an ak 74. I have put 1000 rds through it and maybe 1000 rds of 5.56 on an AR and that is it! I thought maybe my batteries were bad because the reticle would appear dim even in overcast conditions. Then last week I was firing my ak and the reticle just disappeared. Changed batteries again, same thing.

The other day I was talking to a higher echelon FN/Eotech rep at my work (I'm not going to put his name out there) and he told me that SF and 75th's SCARs were destroying EOtechs. He believes that the eotech works well on a gas impingement system, but when used on a piston gun with a reciprocating bolt i.e. AK, Scar, sig etc that the recoil impulse compromises the electronics.

I hate to bad mouth EOtech but I've only gotten ~4 years of service out of each of my eotechs. They worked well for a time and have survived considerable abuse, but they both had a short service life for me and quit working suddenly. Right now they are both enroute to Eotech's repair department. I will follow up with the service experience, but I believe that when I get these back I'm gonna sell them for cheap and buy a tripower or something which doesn't rely on electronics. If you have had luck with Eotechs then that's great, I'm just letting everyone know what my experience has been.

ATAK, Inc.
10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I wish you luck with the repairs and hope you get back some servicable equipment!

My experience with EOtech is limited, I got a 512 from a fellow member last year. Perfect, used condition, but have only ran a few mags thru it so far.

Let me know if you are going to sell them, I plan on building a SBR in the near future and want something my old eyes can use!

Citizen Pain
11-09-2010, 02:58 PM
UPDATE- Got eotechs back today. I still need to verify them with a test fire but out of the box they look great, the reticle gets nice and bright on both of them. They didn't charge me anything either! I was also pleasantly surprised with the turn around time ~two weeks-ish. I'm still going to try something else, but I'm satisfied with the customer service and happy with how everything turned out.

Penguin
11-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Cool can't ask for a whole lot more when something does go wrong.

shotdown61
11-11-2010, 04:10 AM
I've never owned an eotech, but I've heard that they have a common problem with the battery terminal. Something about recoil of many repeated firings causing the battery terminal to weaken in the models where the batteries are parallel to the axis of recoil. That's why the XPS models have the battery installed perpendicular. It's my understanding that many that have this problem with their Eotechs just reinforce the battery terminal so that it makes full contact with the battery.
Thats part of the reason I went with the XPS.Only time will tell.

RJ Shooter
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I love that company. They sent me a replacement hood, FOR FREE when I told them the anodizing was turning purple... Couldn't believe it!