PDA

View Full Version : Russian 7.62 X 54R

sisyphus
09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Aim has some Russian 148 gr FMJ (copper flashed case and bullet) that I ordered 880 rds of (2 tins). It's not 7N1, but how does it compare with the Polish stuff with the lacquered case? I'll be using it in my new PSL and the Polish goes real nice in it. I tend to think the Russkomz make their own calibers and guns better than anybody else, so here's hoping that stays true to form.

Last night I opened a tin of stuff marked "made in Russia" but I knew there was no way they'd make anything as cheap as it looks. Besides, it wasn't paint-marked in Cyrillic on the tin and that's a giveaway it's not Russian. Turns-out it's Albanian, from the headstamp. That stuff is OK in my MN's and will probably shoot well enough out of the PSL. I just wanted some more quantity of better quality on hand.

ATAK, Inc.
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Aim has some Russian 148 gr FMJ (copper flashed case and bullet) that I ordered 880 rds of (2 tins). It's not 7N1, but how does it compare with the Polish stuff with the lacquered case? I'll be using it in my new PSL and the Polish goes real nice in it. I tend to think the Russkomz make their own calibers and guns better than anybody else, so here's hoping that stays true to form.

Last night I opened a tin of stuff marked "made in Russia" but I knew there was no way they'd make anything as cheap as it looks. Besides, it wasn't paint-marked in Cyrillic on the tin and that's a giveaway it's not Russian. Turns-out it's Albanian, from the headstamp. That stuff is OK in my MN's and will probably shoot well enough out of the PSL. I just wanted some more quantity of better quality on hand.

I've done quite a bit with playing around with x54, wish I kept a log, but the better ammo is from Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and Russia, but I've found that the Russian from the early 70's is a bit better than from the 80's. Maybe the tooling is more worn?

The Albanian is a little dirty, compared to the above, so is Czech stuff.

If you'd like to try some, I'd be willing to sell or trade some 7N1, PM me if you're interested.

Tom

Richard Simmons
09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
I had issues several years ago with the Albanian in a couple of my Mosins. Seems the rim thickness varies and in some of my rifles the bolt wouldn't close on some rounds. Can't remember now but it seemed like one or more models, M38, M44, 91/30, etc, did better with it than others.

Seem to recall that all things considered it wasn't that bad in the accuracy department. If I could get a good deal on some more I'd probably buy it.

O.S.O.K.
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
The last I purchase is Bulgarian and looks great - haven't shot any yet though. I had the same experience with Albanian ammo - was total crap - I would not spend a dime on that stuff. My experience with Czech Silvertip has been nothing but positive - yes, dirty but shoots great!

I've been eyeing the Rusky ammo at AIM too but I've got other priorities right now...

Richard Simmons
09-20-2010, 09:16 AM
FWIW the Czech Silver-Tip that was available a few years ago was pretty highly regarded as far as accuarcy goes. Not the same as the Polish silver-tip that I've seen offered since. Don't recall any reports on how the Czech worked in the PSL's but you might keep an eye out for some on the secondary market.

Penguin
09-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Most people said the czech silver tip worked good in the PSL.

sevlex
09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I picked up two crates of Czech silver tip a few years ago and have run it thru my psl. Very good stuff.

It's supposed to be corrosive but I don't think it is. It's diff than some ammo purported to be the same. It has has a dark green lacquer case and is packed in light blue boxes with a silver stripe on the outside. I'm inclined to believe it was made by S&B.