PDA

View Full Version : Police Scanners

Mark Ducati
07-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd like to buy a police scanner to listen to the transmissions of the local PD, Sheriff's Dept., and Fire Dept.

When buying a scanner, do they cover all frequencies or do I have to order one specific to my region/state?

Not sure how all that works...

Zoff12
07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
There has been some changes in the last few years. Fed Gov has mandated narrowbandwidth by 2013, IIRC. Some of the older scanners don't cover this.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/technology/communication/fcc-narrowbanding.htm

Buying a mondern scanner should be OK. Some departments use a coded system so all you will hear is static when they transmit. Most current scanners will do just fine. I can't explain the frequencies, etc... I don't have the technical knowledge other than you program the channels yourself. The el-cheapo Radio Shack scanner I bought 15 years ago still picks up pretty much all of them.

El Jefe
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Heh, my motherinlaw listens to her police scanner a lot. I've always found in humorous knowing how nosey she is.

Zoff12
07-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Heh, my motherinlaw listens to her police scanner a lot. I've always found in humorous knowing how nosey she is.
My scanner hasn't been on in 14 years. Found it in a box of stuff. Plugged it in and reprogrammed it. Still works so I turned it off. I have to listen to a radio 5 days a week, 8 to 12 hours a day. Don't want to hear one when I get home.
:dizzy:

swampdragon
07-17-2010, 04:50 PM
There has been some changes in the last few years. Fed Gov has mandated narrowbandwidth by 2013, IIRC. Some of the older scanners don't cover this.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/nij/topics/technology/communication/fcc-narrowbanding.htm

Buying a mondern scanner should be OK. Some departments use a coded system so all you will hear is static when they transmit. Most current scanners will do just fine. I can't explain the frequencies, etc... I don't have the technical knowledge other than you program the channels yourself. The el-cheapo Radio Shack scanner I bought 15 years ago still picks up pretty much all of them.

So how do I get a secret squirrel decoder ring so I can tell when you guys are comin' to git my gunz?
lol.....

Zoff12
07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
So how do I get a secret squirrel decoder ring so I can tell when you guys are comin' to git my gunz?
lol.....
When you STOP seeing the black helicopters... then we're coming.:tinfoil:

skorpion
07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Are you looking for a portable scanner or a base station? I would recommend a portable, as most of them have the ability to operate from batteries or a wall outlet anyway. As for frequencies, in order to know who you are actually listening to, you will need to program your local freqs into the scanner yourself. Most scanners have a search function, but you won't be able to ID who you are listening in on using that option. Get a scanner with dual-trunking so you can listen to trunked freqs. Information on scanners is all over the net, and it is easy to look up freqs for your local area.

http://www.cityfreq.com/ Try this for a start once you pick up a scanner.

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a Uniden Trunktracker III - which can follow the most recent transmitions - be prepared to learn-up on how to do that. It is capable of going into a car but is sitting in my office right now. Picks up all kinds of shit - aviation, police, highway patrol, emergency medical, cb, NASCAR, etc. - has a cool feature for when you use it in the car. Has an alert that sounds/blinks when it comes within range of a highway patrol transmitter - they all have them and this gives you advanced warning when they are setup with a radar - kinda like a highway patrol car detector... but doesn't do anything for local police.

Prometheus168
07-18-2010, 07:12 PM
OK.. first off... as a radio-phile and HAM operator PLEASE DON'T CALL THEM A "Police" Scanner... this is the equivalent in the radio world of saying "Assault Rifle" or Banana Clip". Now that I have corrected your indiscretion.

I am running a Radio Shack PRO 433 (http://www.radioshack.com/pwr/product-reviews/Other/RadioShack/p/2463120-PRO-433-1-000-Channel-Triple-Trunking-Desktop-Mobile-Scanner.html)for general scanning hooked up to a outdoor antenna (http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032098&cp=2032052.2032075.2032078&allCount=24&fbc=1&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FScanner%26%23047%3BHAM&fbn=Type%2FScanner%26%23047%3BHAM&s=null) at 15 feet. It will handle the narrow bands and the new mandated frequencies. Here is the problem, you need to find out if the agency(s) that you want to listen to are running P25 digital format. IF they are you need to step up to a digital scanner that will decode that signal. I would recommend a Pro 197 (http://www.radioshack.com/pwr/product-reviews/Phones-Radio-Communications/Scanners/RadioShack/p/3348288-PRO-197-39-000-Channel-Digital-Desktop-Scanner.html) along with an outdoor antenna.

Now if you just want to hear local traffic you can always go to http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/ and see if your locals are covered. A lot, even rural agencies are, heck you can even here me on the Robertson Co Fire/EMS link LOL!

Hope this helps

Rusty

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I used to love to listen to my scanner..
Would bring it to work and send it through a large jobsite rocker radio so it was nice and loud...
The stuff you hear is more entertaining that the radio !

chiak47
07-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I have a Uniden Trunktracker III

I looked that model up and now I WANT one...Impressive unit.

Charliebravo
07-20-2010, 07:54 AM
I have to listen to a radio 5 days a week, 8 to 12 hours a day. Don't want to hear one when I get home.
:dizzy:+1. My radio will get every emergency service frequency in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but I've got no urge to hear that shit. Besides, my agency went to a truncated system, whatever that is. You can't get the whole transmission. Also, if it's something really interesting that bad guys could be listening for, our dispatchers just tell us to check our computers for the call without ever dispatching it over the radio. We just confirm by radio that we're en route.

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I looked that model up and now I WANT one...Impressive unit.

Bought it a couple years ago - based on brand (Uniden has been at this a LONG time), features and price. Seemed to have and do what I wanted. Also fairly compact.

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
+1. My radio will get every emergency service frequency in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but I've got no urge to hear that shit. Besides, my agency went to a truncated system, whatever that is. You can't get the whole transmission. Also, if it's something really interesting that bad guys could be listening for, our dispatchers just tell us to check our computers for the call without ever dispatching it over the radio. We just confirm by radio that we're en route.

You need a "trunk tracker" capable unit -this is really rather old technology at this point...

Charliebravo
07-22-2010, 10:09 AM
You need a "trunk tracker" capable unit -this is really rather old technology at this point...I figured as much. Every time someone comes up with one technology, someone else comes up with something to trump it. That's why our dispatchers just tell us to check our screens if it's something we don't want intercepted by bad guys. We also send out fictitious broadcasts sometimes. For instance, we got word that some dope peddlers were using scanners at a particular complex and would move, hide, or flush their dope anytime they heard the cops were on their way. The Sgt. would give a radio broadcast of "all units stay away from ____________. Narcotics is about to run a search warrant over there." They weren't, but I think the city's water pressure dropped for a minute due to all the flushing.

Mark Ducati
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I know that it is illegal to transmit without an FCC license... I'm also thinking of a SHTF scenario when all laws are out the window...

There's this radio at galls.com:

http://www.galls.com/widgets/galls2010/altimages/AP569_330_1.jpg

Designed for everyday heavy duty use.

* Meets mil-specs 810 C,D,E & F
* 450-470 MHz
* 9-12 hour battery life
* Up to 250,000 square foot range with
* 6 mile outdoor range
* Allows for total private communication
* Compatible with most other UHF radios
* Includes desktop charger, battery and belt clip

FCC license required.

----- I'm thinking that having a radio that can communicate with an authority agency might be useful...

In any event, what's it take to get an FCC license? If an FCC license is required use the radio.... I wonder if they will sell it without dept. letterhead?