PDA

View Full Version : No tobacco use on company property?

Aggressive Perfector
09-14-2013, 12:23 AM
I personally ain't big on Cigars, but when me and some buds get together and play some poker I'll have one or two, depending on length of game(s). But I smoke cigarettes like I breathe air and usually like to keep a good dip of Copenhagen handy for when my hands are too busy (working, shooting, etc.). But here recently my company has put their foot down and are now trying to push all us smokers/ dippers to quit. Encouraging us to attend smoking cessation meetings (like we need fucking rehab or some shit), forcing us to clock out and leave property, etc. So let me break this down why this is really getting on my nerves 9aside from being obviously affected by it):
1. We get a paid 10 minute break every 2 hours. Except at lunch (6 hours in) we get 20. By spending our breaks clocked out, we lose an hours pay every day which brings our total hours from 42 to 39. That's $62 a week that I'm losing (2 hours over time + one hour straight pay, not including shift differential).
2. Out of roughly 50-60 people on each shift, I can probably count the number of non-tobacco users per shift on 2 hands.
3. Our company (not our insurance company, but the fucking dicks we work for) will be charging us an additional $35 per week on top of what we already pay for our insurance if we fail the nicotine tests they force the entire plant to take. This would even effect somebody who has already quit and is using nicotine gum, patches, e-cigs, whatever. So make that $97 per week that we lose after taxes.
4. Smokers and non smokers get the same breaks, so it's not like we're getting extra fuck off time because of our habits, and our habit is not costing the company in productivity or efficiency.
5. We had designated outdoor smoking areas, so anybody who didn't want to be around it could go to another outdoor or indoor break area.
6. The smoke and shit we breathe in from the molten aluminum, burning grease, etc. prevalent throughout the die cast plant I promise you is every bit as harmful if not more so than tobacco smoke.

So I have to ask, are these people retarded or just greedy? Maybe both? I mean shit, they're making 120 million + off of this plant alone (not counting other plants they have around the country), what more do they want? Everyones left nut (or ovary) and a big toe?

El Jefe
09-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Nanny State do gooder Nazis are everywhere these days. It'll get far worse before it gets better.

Aaron1100us
09-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I work at a hospital and they banned tobbaco several years ago on property. I work in security so I had to really abide by the rules. Before that, you could smoke anywhere outside. Working third shift was a little easier for me but went up to the roof to smoke often. Then maintenance complained of cig butts on the roof. They didn't know who, just complained to out department because we were the only other ones with keys. It was getting to be such a pain to smoke at work. So 6 weeks ago, I started vaping. Advanced E-Cigs basically. Now I can vape anywhere and get my nic fix. Plus vaping is 100 times more enjoyable than smoking and I smoked for 20 years. No vaping rules anywhere, I even vape inside at work now.
Not usually around others but there are places all over work to vape. No more going outside in the rain or freezing winter either.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Aggressive Perfector
09-14-2013, 06:26 PM
^That's another bitch I forgot to mention. I bought an e-titan vaporizer. And yes, very enjoyable. I figured being that it doesn't harm others through second hand smoke and what not, and being that it has no carcinogens, no tobacco, just water vapor and nicotine it'd be ok. Hell they're even considered safe in hospitals! But no. Not allowed to use them either!