View Full Version : Madison, WI - Men Arrested At Culver's Openly Carrying Guns

Gunreference1
09-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Men Arrested At Culver's Openly Carrying Guns

Duo Plans To Fight Charges

Brendan Conway, WISN 12 News Reporter
POSTED: 9:49 pm CDT September 19, 2010
UPDATED: 1:08 am CDT September 20, 2010

MADISON, Wis. -- A group of armed men sat outside a Culver's Restaurant near the East Towne Mall in Madison Sunday night eating burgers and drinking shakes.

The men said it was partly a chance to socialize but also a show of support for Shawn Winrich and a man from Racine who were arrested Saturday night at the same Culver's while openly carrying guns.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.wisn.com/r/25077827/detail.html

Steve

JVD
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
There is a poll on this article so make sure you vote too!

Since CCW is illegal OC is the only way here.

Should people be allowed to openly carry guns?
Choice Votes Percentage of 863 Votes
Yes 566 66%
No 271 31%
I don't know 26 3%

Gunreference1
09-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Gun-Carrying Customers Prompt Culver's Policy Review

Police Respond To Complaint At Restaurant

Updated: 8:05 pm CDT September 20, 2010

MADISON, Wis. -- Culver's Corp. is evaluating the possible need for a policy addressing handguns in its restaurants.

The issue came to light after an incident at the East Towne Culver's on Saturday evening.

Five members of the open-carry advocacy group, Wisconsin Carry, met to eat dinner and socialize. The men were all legally openly carrying firearms.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/25092147/detail.html

Steve

Gunreference1
09-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Obstruction charges to be dropped in gun case but all five men will be cited

By SANDY CULLEN | scullen@madison.com | 608-252-6137 |
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Madison police said Wednesday they will rescind obstructing citations wrongly issued to two of five men who were openly carrying firearms while eating at a Culver's restaurant, and instead cite all five men for disorderly conduct.

"It seems to me like (police) are just digging a deeper hole," said John R. Monroe, a Georgia attorney who specializes in open carry and firearms cases.

But City Attorney Michael May said, "I think if someone's going to sue the city, it will come from the actions that have already taken place."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime_and_courts/article_26e20b12-c6b4-11df-9b03-001cc4c002e0.html

Steve

Gunreference1
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
New Charges In Culver's Open Carry Case

Group Said They Will Sue Police

Brendan Conway, WISN 12 News Reporter
POSTED: 9:50 pm CDT September 22, 2010
UPDATED: 10:30 pm CDT September 22, 2010

MILWAUKEE -- Wisconsin Carry, a gun rights group, plans to file a lawsuit against the Madison Police Department after five men were charged for openly carrying weapons.

The men wore their guns as the ate at a Culver's Restaurant in Madison over the weekend.

A 62-year-old woman called police saying she felt uneasy.

She told officers the men were not doing anything wrong but that she was rattled.

http://www.wisn.com/r/25124382/detail.html

Steve

AKTexas
09-23-2010, 09:32 AM
That 62 year old woman should mind her damn business.I'd be rattle if the guys walked in drunk,loud, armed.What is so rattling about 5 guys wearing sidearms,minding their own business and enjoying a burger?

Were they sporting "I hate Old Nosy Bitches" T-shirts?Were they dress like the A-Team and driving a black van with a red stripe?WTF is wrong with these people?

If OC is legal,publicly known,who cares as long as the persons wearing the sidearm is not causing trouble?

Edit:I voted yesterday at school and once this morning.

Choice Votes Percentage
Yes--1,880 71%
No--690 26%
I don't know--61 2%

Moebrown20
09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I got my vote in today:

Choice Votes Percentage of 2,627 Votes
Yes 1,877 71%
No 689 26%
I don't know 61 2%
Thank you

old Grump
09-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Unbelievable Response from Council Member
You have a serious issue within your city's police department. After reading the press release the chief just issued, it appears Madison will harass and arrest law abiding citizens just for exercising the the protected right to bear arms. This right has been affirmed by Attorney General Doyle twice, Governor Doyle Once, Attorney General Van Hollen Once, The Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the Constitution of this state. Furthermore one of the officers responding to the gentlemen enjoying their meal at Culvers stated it is OK for PEDOPHILES to hang out with children!!!!!!!
A serious investigation of the Madison PD is in order immediately.

My family takes at least a couple trips to Madison a year to visit places, shop, and eat. I will not travel to Madison again until I no longer fear arrest for exercising my right to bear arms and that my children are safe from pedophiles. Respectfully,

Their Reply;
Have a good time staying at home. While legal, it's inappropriate and aggressive to pack your little pistols in public places. We won't miss you or the childish displays of constitutional freedoms.
Lauren Cnare
District 3 Alder

Just got an email back from her:
Thanks for the publicity. I take my responsibilities to protect the integrity and atmosphere of my city very seriously and am painfully aware that the majority of conflict between people happens when others are not respectful of commonly accepted norms. We do not pack pistols in restaurants in Madison. Why not? Simply not necessary or appropriate. It's too bad that some people feel that exercising their rights to make a point has to be such an issue. Frankly, visits that cause these kinds of disturbances aren't economic stimuli for our city. That poor restaurant probably lost sales due to the show. As you note, you are not a Madison resident, thus don't know the flavor of our community. This could be the best campaign incident in a long time!

Thank you for your quick response!

So by your views on the subject of one's right to keep and bear arms in Wisconsin Madison is a complete safe city free of any violent crime. We should expect that if such a situation would arise that the police can be called and will arrive on the scene before any violence occurs, is that correct?

I bet I would not have to dig deep into the police records in your district to find victims of violent crime. Who are you to deny them the right to protect themselves?

The situation at Culver's illustrates my point completely. The mere fact that a woman was so concerned with someone "shooting up the restaurant" along with her personal knowledge that violence has happened in restaurants previously tells me two things. 1) That she was uneducated about the laws regarding personal protection and 2) That she does acknowledge that violence can break out in the city of Madison.

Neither of us will probably change each other's minds on the issue. But I ask you to consider in the future that the law allows people the right to protect themselves and people who choose to exercise that right do not need to be belittled by elected officials sworn to uphold these very same rights.

Sincerely,

XXXXResponse of Madison Alderwoman Lauren Cnareto E-mail from a Wisconsin Carry Inc. member. She is the Common Council President Pro Tem for 2010-2011.

Dr. Gonzo GED
09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
That 62 year old woman should mind her damn business.I'd be rattle if the guys walked in drunk,loud, armed.What is so rattling about 5 guys wearing sidearms,minding their own business and enjoying a burger?

Were they sporting "I hate Old Nosy Bitches" T-shirts?Were they dress like the A-Team and driving a black van with a red stripe?WTF is wrong with these people?

If OC is legal,publicly known,who cares as long as the persons wearing the sidearm is not causing trouble?

Edit:I voted yesterday at school and once this morning.

Choice Votes Percentage
Yes--1,880 71%
No--690 26%
I don't know--61 2%
Seriously.

Would she have felt uneasy if it was five policement eating at the resturant? They all carry guns openly too.

aliceinchains
09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I guess the old hag would have been more comfortable with 5 gang bangers with concealed weapons.

Gunreference1
09-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Click the link below to hear the 911 call made on 09-18-10.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/madison-five-911-call-video

Steve

AKTexas
09-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Seriously.

Would she have felt uneasy if it was five policement eating at the resturant? They all carry guns openly too.

Exactly.

Sidartha
09-24-2010, 11:05 AM
OMG!
The city of Madison is so fucked!
Listen to the 911 tape, the caller repeatedly said that the five men were not acting in a aggressive or disturbing manner 'they're just sitting there very relaxed'.
Then when she was informed that open carry is legal in WI she said in a suprised voice that there isn't a problem then and when the Operator tries to talk her into it 'Well if they are disturbing you...' 'No, no they're just sitting there'.
She says that she wasn't disturbed!!
There was no Disturbing the Peace.
Madison is so Fucked.
This will give me a warm fuzzy feeling all day now thanks.:rotflmbao:

Gunreference1
09-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Wisconsin Carry Fast-Tracking Lawsuit Against Madison Police Department

Wisconsin --(Ammoland.com)- On Saturday September 18th, Wisconsin Carry received a call to our hotline about an incident in progress at a Culvers Restaurant in Madison, WI.

5 of our members who had met at previous WCI events and on the opencarry.org discussion forum planned to get together for dinner at Culvers Restaurant near East Towne in Madison, WI. They were, of course, open-carrying as they do every day.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/09/23/wisconsin-carry-fast-tracking-lawsuit-against-madison-police-department/

Steve

Gunreference1
09-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Friday, September 24th, 2010 at 11:38 am

Gun Owners Fight Back – Lawsuit Dumptrunk is Backing Up to Madison Police & Chief

ICarry.org Fundraiser for Wisconsin Carry Lawsuit.

Madison, Wisconsin --(Ammoland.com)- Please donate to Wisconsin Carry, Inc’s efforts in bringing suits against the City of Madison, Madison Police, Police Chief, and anyone else culpable (ICarry is making assumptions as to whom the defendants may be).

This is for the 5 men arrested for open carrying, minding their own business. They were NOT staging anything or trying to get arrested. Some of these men are known to us personally, and we know their intentions were nothing more than to meet with one another, share a meal and conversation, and be able to exercise their fundamental right to bear arms. These open carry meet-ups are happening everywhere, and this one was no different.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/09/24/gun-rights-lawsuit-to-madison-police-chief/

Steve

Gunreference1
09-27-2010, 03:34 AM
John Pierce
Minneapolis Gun Rights Examiner

Madison alder declares constitutional freedoms to be ‘childish’

September 25th, 2010 3:39 pm CT

The ‘Madison 5’ incident continues to spread ripples across Wisconsin as the city and the police department struggle to defend their actions.

Background

Last Wednesday I wrote about the fact that the Wisconsin courts have not only held that a person may not be charged with obstruction for refusing to identify themselves but that "no reasonable person could believe that the obstruction statute includes within its terms persons who fail to identify themselves. Nor could a reasonable person determine that any other statute authorizes the arrest of persons for refusing to state their names. ... Hence, the deputies in this case are not entitled to qualified immunity." Henes v. Morrissey, 533 N.W.2d 802 (1995).

I also wrote about the fact that, facing suits against both the city and the individual officers under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 (deprivation of rights under color of law), the obstruction charges were quickly dropped. However, in a publicly released memo which appears clearly designed to have a chilling effect on the free exercise of rights in Madison, police chief Wray announced that all five law-abiding citizens who were open carrying that night would be charged with disorderly conduct.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-minneapolis/madison-alder-declares-constitutional-freedoms-to-be-childish

Steve

Gunreference1
09-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Gun-rights group sues Madison over 5 citations

Associated Press

4:03 a.m. CDT, September 30, 2010

MADISON, Wis. — Gun-rights group Wisconsin Carry is accusing the city of Madison and police Chief Noble Wray of violating the Second Amendment rights of five men.

A federal lawsuit filed Wednesday says officers violated the rights of five armed patrons at a fast-food restaurant by asking them to produce identification or face arrest.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-gunrights-lawsuit,0,172755.story

Steve

Gunreference1
09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Madison police chief, open carry activist meet on talk show

By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel
Sept. 29, 2010 |(2) Comments

Now that gun rights activists have taken their open carry practices to Madison, the whole topic has moved to the state's Internet public affairs show on Wisconsin Eye.

Thursday, the president of Wisconsin Carry, Inc., the Madison police chief and a UW-Madison political scientist sat around the table with Newsmakers host Steven Walters to discuss what he called a "timely and emotional issue."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/104041424.html

Steve

Gunreference1
10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
The 911 call that started this issue.

http://tijil.org/Madison_5_911_call.mp3

Steve

AKTexas
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
The dispatcher does not sound too concerned,but she is pushing the issue.

Time for the Wisconsin OC group should invest in a little PR time on the local access channel.