PDA

View Full Version : Modern Rifle season for deer?

Aggressive Perfector
09-29-2013, 02:25 AM
I'm originally from Ohio, and the only guns you could hunt game (other than varmints) with are shotguns and muzzle loaders. So being abled to Deer hunt with any centerfire rifle in Arkansas is nice. But since there is a season for "Evil Black Rifles", I think I'll have to see if my AK is up for the task of deer hunting (wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56), which means I'll need to be in a hurry to get it feeding hollow points reliably by December! And get it more precisely sighted in so as to actually make the quick & humane heart/ lung shot. Typically shooting 3" groups at 100 meters and usually slightly to the right of center, but the first shot is generally just about right on the money. What I'm not sure if I like about the season is no mag capacity. Sure, it'd be nice to have a full 30 in case I run into bobcats, black bear, or the rare cougar, but It really takes the sport out of the hunt to be using that many shots. Anyone else do this?

Schuetzenman
09-29-2013, 07:39 AM
It surprises me they don't limit mag capacity for the hunt. 5 rounds in a mag should be more than enough. If you miss the deer is going to go into high gear running off. If you can't hit it standing still your chances of hitting it going warp 9 are even less. IMO no need to blast the shit out of the country side trying to make up for the missed first shot.

Now if you think there's a band of dangerous killer wild life in the area, pack a loaded 30 rounder in your pocket. Shouldn't take that long to swap out a 5 rounder for a 30.

alismith
09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
MD has an 8-round mag. limit for hunting deer. When I used to hunt deer, I'd either use a .30-30 Winchester, an AK (with a 5-round mag.), or my Brit .303 (loaded with only 8-rounds in the mag.). All were dead on at 100 yds. or less. I hunted woods rather than fields, so 100 yds. was about the longest shot I was able to take.

If you want to hunt with your AK, it would be a good idea to get a 5-round mag. and use that. For more protection from dangerous animals, why not carry a backup revolver on your hip? MD law says if you are carrying a pistol/revolver, it must be one that is legal for deer, too. The smallest caliber allowed here is .357 Mag.

silentkilla
09-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm originally from Ohio, and the only guns you could hunt game (other than varmints) with are shotguns and muzzle loaders. So being abled to Deer hunt with any centerfire rifle in Arkansas is nice. But since there is a season for "Evil Black Rifles", I think I'll have to see if my AK is up for the task of deer hunting (wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56), which means I'll need to be in a hurry to get it feeding hollow points reliably by December! And get it more precisely sighted in so as to actually make the quick & humane heart/ lung shot. Typically shooting 3" groups at 100 meters and usually slightly to the right of center, but the first shot is generally just about right on the money. What I'm not sure if I like about the season is no mag capacity. Sure, it'd be nice to have a full 30 in case I run into bobcats, black bear, or the rare cougar, but It really takes the sport out of the hunt to be using that many shots. Anyone else do this?

if you only knew how many deer i've killed with my A.R. in 223. i've had to literally double tap a couple bucks but if you make a clean shot in the lung/heart area they will flop over or it will be over within 40 yards.

EddieB310
09-29-2013, 04:23 PM
if you only knew how many deer i've killed with my A.R. in 223. i've had to literally double tap a couple bucks but if you make a clean shot in the lung/heart area they will flop over or it will be over within 40 yards.
Now that regular season is open, you will have to stop poaching, right ?

L1A1Rocker
09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
(wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56

Are you familiar with the 300BLK? It only takes a barrel swap on your AR and you're good to go.

btcave
09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I hunt with 6.8. Does the job just fine. 5 Rnd mag. Sierra 110 gr Pro Hunters self loaded.

AK... go for it!

http://imageshack.us/a/img692/2071/dsc00452twqtsc.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/8601/dsc00461gv.jpg

Aggressive Perfector
09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I've read on 300 blackout, but I've never shot it or even seen it on shelves around here. I'm interested in it, but am currently saving money for build materials. Haven't looked to much into 6.8, but again, it's not a common round around here. I have seen Winchester .223 65 grain hollow points that are supposed to be suitable for deer, but I like my 1 shot drops and have heard too many stories like yours for me to be comfortable with it Silent. :P
Ali, my only hand gun at the moment is a .22... I wouldn't rely on it for much aside from the possibility of a scare tactic, which isn't guaranteed to work. Schuetz, we have an abundance of Bobcats and wild hogs in the area, and Black Bear are pretty common. Cougars have been sighted and acknowledged by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission to be making a return to the Northwest Arkansas region, but they aren't common and there is no season on them. I have no intend to hunt anything outside of Deer and Turkey for the moment, but none of the above mentioned animals are something I want to cross and only have 5-10 rounds available. I probably will purchase a 5 or 10 round double stack mag for the hunt and keep a spare 30 on me just in case as you suggested.

L1A1Rocker
09-30-2013, 09:33 AM
have heard too many stories like yours for me to be comfortable with it Silent.

?????

silentkilla
09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
Now that regular season is open, you will have to stop poaching, right ?

haha! i guess so my friend!

Aggressive Perfector
10-01-2013, 08:36 AM
?????
That was my response to Silent saying the .223 is a suitable round for deer hunting, though he has to double tap them. As in I don't like having to double tap, and it seems like most who have tried to deer hunt with an AR chambered in .223/ 5.56 typically report similar results.

L1A1Rocker
10-01-2013, 09:06 AM
That was my response to Silent saying the .223 is a suitable round for deer hunting, though he has to double tap them. As in I don't like having to double tap, and it seems like most who have tried to deer hunt with an AR chambered in .223/ 5.56 typically report similar results.

Oh, I get it now. Thank you.

Someone mentioned the 6.8. It is a VERY good hunting round with excellent ballistics. My only gripe about it is that it uses a lot of proprietary components and in the past has had an issue with cracked bolts. (keep a spare in the pistol grip)

Right now I'm very big on the 300BLK. If you are currently running an AR all you need to do is swap barrels and you are good to go. Ballistics are decent and many folks are using it for hunting deer and hogs successfully.

Partisan1983
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh, I get it now. Thank you.

Someone mentioned the 6.8. It is a VERY good hunting round with excellent ballistics. My only gripe about it is that it uses a lot of proprietary components and in the past has had an issue with cracked bolts. (keep a spare in the pistol grip)

Right now I'm very big on the 300BLK. If you are currently running an AR all you need to do is swap barrels and you are good to go. Ballistics are decent and many folks are using it for hunting deer and hogs successfully.

This.

I have heard many stories of guys taking Whitetail deer up to 300yds away with .300BLK (supersonic of course).

Aggressive Perfector
10-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I'll definitely give .300 blackout a look when I can, but it sure as shit won't be this season...

silentkilla
10-02-2013, 11:26 AM

this year i'm going with my remington 700/ 308. got the big buck with it last year. as for the 223, you shoot them in the neck when your meat hunting they will go down no prob. my deal was i was meat hunting for some doe and this 200 pound 8 point kinda stepped in my way. probably did not half to put two in him but i might have got a little excited...... lol

noobguru
10-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Always wanted to hunt with a AR but i think .223 is under powered for the ranges I hunt. I like the idea of a light semi-auto that can be good protection against large predators in my hunting area. Also the light profile and easy recoil would make a great brush gun. I might build a .308 AR-10 for hunting and that would have all the knock down power I could ever want. I seen AR-15s chambered in .243 and that's also a consideration as well as 6.8. 6.8 is very hard to find in my area tho so would prob have to learn how to re-load to make it worth my time. 300 blLK looks interesting and now that suppressor hunting is legal in my area it could be great silent hunting. Might be able to take a few deer down before they noticed they were being shot at. Anything lighter than .243 I wouldn't take a chance at hunting at any distance beyond 50 yards even with a well placed neck/head shot.

FunkyPertwee
10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
It surprises me they don't limit mag capacity for the hunt. 5 rounds in a mag should be more than enough. If you miss the deer is going to go into high gear running off. If you can't hit it standing still your chances of hitting it going warp 9 are even less. IMO no need to blast the shit out of the country side trying to make up for the missed first shot.

Now if you think there's a band of dangerous killer wild life in the area, pack a loaded 30 rounder in your pocket. Shouldn't take that long to swap out a 5 rounder for a 30.

Are you really supporting a magazine capacity limit while hunting?

Its fine with me if you want to limit yourself, but I don't want to have to mod my SKS or my PSL mags or buy 5 round AR and AK mags if I ever wanted to use them.

I don't want to shoot up the hill side, I just don't think the state should obligate me to buy special shit for my guns, when they're MY guns.

There is no mag limit in South Carolina, FYI, but I don't hunt anyway.

FunkyPertwee
10-24-2013, 11:47 AM
How about this for a hunting EBR: Springfield M1a Scout Squad (18" barrel)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5290/5340024859_72cf1bd526_z.jpg
(Pic taken from google)

O.S.O.K.
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
A standard AK will make a find deer gun. I would go with 150 grain soft point handloads. If you're not a handloader, go with a 123 grain soft point - Winchester makes a decent load. The hollow points aren't going to expand and will act like fmjs - which will still kill the deer but a soft point is better imho.

And I second the use of AR/5.56 for deer hunting - an x-bullet or 60 grain partition are fine deer medicine. Heck, a standard 62 grain 885 will do the job.

It's all about bullet placement... for the millionth time :)

Aggressive Perfector
10-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Are you really supporting a magazine capacity limit while hunting?

Its fine with me if you want to limit yourself, but I don't want to have to mod my SKS or my PSL mags or buy 5 round AR and AK mags if I ever wanted to use them.

I don't want to shoot up the hill side, I just don't think the state should obligate me to buy special shit for my guns, when they're MY guns.

There is no mag limit in South Carolina, FYI, but I don't hunt anyway.
It's for safety reasons that the states limit mag capacities. You often wind up with a lot of hunters in a little bit of wilderness. The idea is that by limiting your magazine, you will be more choosey about your shots and not sending off a lot of errant rounds that could potentially strike another hunter. For hunting purposes, I'm ok with mag limits. Because it's not usually a life or death situation. But I do think it should be acceptable to carry a fully loaded standard or high capacity magazine as a back up in case of need for defensive situation when dealing with the more dangerous wildlife in some areas. I'm, simply out for fun, honing my skills, and learning some important basic survival skills when I'm hunting.

vit
10-25-2013, 11:07 PM
I took my very first deer with MAK91. Took some with with Mini30. But I do much prefer .308 for deer. Something like a Saiga .308? I have done that too.
No mag limitations in WI for hunting.

Aggressive Perfector
11-08-2013, 10:46 PM
It'd be nice to have a .308 AK. :)
Here's my set up for now. I have a bunch of empty casings filling the mag except for 5 loaded soft points. And a back up 30 rounder in case of need to fend off some of the more malicious wild life.

Integratedj
03-23-2015, 10:38 AM

It isn't about carrying a bunch of ammo because you need it to put down an animal. The Rifle is for more than just hunting, and even though it's primary purpose at that time is for downing an animal, it could very easily be needed for defensive reasons. I shouldn't have to take the time to swap a mag out to high capacity if needed. Our Border hunting units are a prime example of why you need a 20-30 Magazine. I've been woken up before by 30+ illegals making my camp home at 3am and all I had was a bolt action with 4 rounds and a pistol with 7. We finally got the BS stripped here in arizona and no longer have mag limits except for the federal ones in place for shotguns used on migratory birds.

The last elk hunt I carried my PWS 308 loaded with a 20rd mag. I used 2 for the Elk, and the second one was only because she was almost 400 yards up a cinder hill, it was 3* out and I wasn't in the mood to possibly chase her around the top all afternoon. All the other bullets were in there specifically because of the massive coyote population in that area that we were thinning. sometimes it takes a few to put down a couple running dogs.